Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 38xx Potable Water System Leak

38xx Potable Water System Leak 20 Sep 2007 04:18 #1

• mcintyst
  • mcintyst's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
I installed a new Shurflo Smart Sensor 4.0 Water Pump Extreme Series about 8 weeks ago. What a great pump! Nice and quiet and no more pulsating water, hot to cold in the shower.

Recently I have noticed that my bilge pump is coming on quite a bit lately and also the water pump was over heating and shutting off until it cooled down. It has a built in thermal switch. While changing the element on my hot water tank today I noticed a consant drippping sound coming from the starboard side in the engine room.

I had to crawl on my back up beside the starboard motor and saw a small stream of water spraying from above and dripping down. I can see the spray but not were the actual water line is leaking. I can see the water line, in the engine room, beyond the leak. I pulled out the icemaker first to make sure that it was not leaking there, but all was fine. No leak under the bar sink. It appears from the location of the leak that the hoses from the sink go through the wall, below the shelf under the sink, and into the engine compartment on the starboard side. You can't actually see the hose coming through the wall from the starboard engine side as the sight line is blocked. I can see the hose further out, but not actually were the leak is and I can't figure out how to get access without cutting out the wall under the bar sink.

Has anyone had this problem and if so, how did you fix it? I figure the best thing to do is to undo the water lines one at a time from the bar sink, pull it through to the engine room and cut it off where I can have access to it in the engine room. Push a new piece through and connect to the old piece.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Steve
1989 3870
Sidney, B.C.

38xx Potable Water System Leak 20 Sep 2007 04:29 #2

• LTCret
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Several years ago I removed the bar sink and the drink mixer and installed a new counter top without the sink or mixer.Our tv is now in that corner.

I think you have about covered the options.

You will want to fasten a pull wire/cord on the pipe before pulling it down into the engine compartment so you can direct the new pipe up the same route as the old one.

Good Luck

Richard
1988 3870 Bayliner

38xx Potable Water System Leak 24 Sep 2007 03:35 #3

• jmcannonball
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 61
Do you have an icemaker right-adjacent to the salon entry door? If so, you may have a leak in the plumbing that attaches to it. I believe the pipes to the icemaker are "t'eed" off the bar sink. Yo might want to try pulling the icemaker out and checking the plumbing there.

Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys[/B]
Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
MMSI: 338030604

38xx Potable Water System Leak 27 Sep 2007 04:16 #4

• mcintyst
Got it fixed. Just like I thought. I cut the cold water line below the bar sink and pushed it through the hole into the engine room. Pushed a new piece through behind it. Crawled on my back beside the starboard motor and pulled the old water line down and cut off. Inspected it and found that there was a rough cut in it, had to be done with a knife when it was installed. A small pin whole had developed in the cut area. Connected the new piece and everything is working fine now.

This is the second leak that has developed in the past three months from problems that were caused by the orginal installations. So I bought a bunch of extra fittings and water line for the next un-expected leak.

Steve

Steve
1989 3870
Sidney, B.C.

38xx Potable Water System Leak 27 Sep 2007 11:11 #5

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 253
Steve, I'd bet you're discovering these problems because of that nice new Shurflo pump you upgraded to. The static system pressure will now be higher, opening up those little pre-existing weaknesses. You may yet find more.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

38xx Potable Water System Leak 27 Sep 2007 15:12 #6

• mcintyst

whiskywizard;72660 wrote: Steve, I'd bet you're discovering these problems because of that nice new Shurflo pump you upgraded to. The static system pressure will now be higher, opening up those little pre-existing weaknesses. You may yet find more.

You'r probably right Mike. It's worth it though. It certainly is nice to have even pressure and not having it pulsate from cold to hot when in the shower. Also a lot quieter.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve
1989 3870
Sidney, B.C.

38xx Potable Water System Leak 27 Sep 2007 17:02 #7

• Incommunicado
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Steve, did you remove your air accumulator tank when you installed the new pump? I purchased a Shurflo Smart Sensor Extreme Series Pump a couple of years ago as a spare & I´m thinking that I should install it as my main pump & use the old as a spare.
Bill

Bill
1993 3888 with Hino 210s
2005 Selene 55

38xx Potable Water System Leak 02 Oct 2007 22:00 #8

• mcintyst
Bill:

I did not have an accumulator tank and this pump does not require one. Nice even flow and good pressure.

Steve

Steve
1989 3870
Sidney, B.C.
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds