Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Advice Needed - 4087 Offer Price?

Advice Needed - 4087 Offer Price? 19 Sep 2007 08:11 #1

• SaltAirHigh
  • SaltAirHigh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Greetings! This is my first post, so be gentle. :)

The Navigator and I are planning to purchase a 4087. First big boat purchase. Long time boater (cuddy cabin) and 6 years chartering in San Juan and Gulf Islands.

It's a 2001/2002 with about 1100 hours on 330 Cummins. Diesel and Red Dot heat (Seattle boat), no genny. Good condition, well maintained.

They are asking $219k. Seems high to me compared to some of the other West Coast comps I saw on YW. Need some advice on what to offer and how high to go.

Also, any advice on issues specific to this model in having the boat surveyed would be VERY much appreciated.

Here's the yachtworld listing. (hope this works)
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatDetails.jsp?currency=USD&units=Feet¤cyid=100&boat_id=1673224&checked_boats=1673224&back=%2Fcore%2Flisting%2Fcache%2FsearchResults.jsp%3Fsm%3D3%26cit%3Dtrue%26currencyid%3D100%26luom%3D126%26man%3Dbayliner%2B4087%26slim%3Dquick&searchtype=

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advice Needed - 4087 Offer Price? 19 Sep 2007 14:17 #2

• RobertSchommer
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3
It's not uncommon to offer upto 10% lower than asking price.
(But it depends on the seller, the quality of the boat, the amount of interest, the time of year, interest rates, local economy, etc.)

Without knowing the details, I'd think that there would be a bit of psychology involved .... the owner might be offended with an offer less than $200K ... so, I'd probably offer a (tiny) bit more than $200K.

I think it's also important to show the buyer/broker that you are a serious buyer. Proof of financing or available money goes a long way in accepting a lower offer.

Advice Needed - 4087 Offer Price? 19 Sep 2007 14:48 #3

• The Royal Pooch
That boat seems to be priced quite high, here is one that is priced more inline to what they are selling for. This has way less hours and a genny. It is currently sale pending but I would still call the broker and see if the deal is still going through.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatFullDetails.jsp?currency=USD&units=Feet¤cyid=100&boat_id=1684601&ybw=&units=Feet&access=Public&listing_id=1725&url=

Advice Needed - 4087 Offer Price? 19 Sep 2007 16:51 #4

• Coastrider
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 124
Nice boats. We have a couple of friends that have them and one has just listed his and is looking to move into something a little bigger I think.

If you are doing a lot of anchoring out and on a boat like that you have a lot of options but I personally would put one with a genset on my wishlist.

I know my friends boat has one and it certainly was appreciated. His boat is listed in West Vancouver. The same 330 Cummins so at least you have another comparison to the one you are looking at except his boat has less hours.

Cheers,

Mark

Advice Needed - 4087 Offer Price? 19 Sep 2007 16:55 #5

• SaltAirHigh
The 4087 listed for $169k, while an estate sale, seems to be going through. I contacted the broker and they told me the sale is still "on" but would let me know if it fell through. So wouldn't the price of a "sold" boat of the same year and less hours be the most accurate comp?

The broker of the "subject boat" (the one I'm looking at) felt $205,000 was a fair price. Well, that's $36,000 of spread!!

It would be nice to get a list of SOLD boats (as opposed to listed boats) for a better feel of fair value. Not trying to steal it, just don't want to overpay.

Anyone have access (or know someone who does) to Yachtworld's broker section which I understand lists the prices of SOLD boats????

Advice Needed - 4087 Offer Price? 19 Sep 2007 17:16 #6

• bradc344
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi, call John at Banana Belt Boats in Anacortes he knows a lot about Bayliners and he is very honest broker plus a great guy ,I also think he has one at his lot or he did this summer . sorry no phone no. but do a web search for Banana Belt Boats .....Brad

Advice Needed - 4087 Offer Price? 19 Sep 2007 17:16 #7

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
Go to www.nada.com and check all the options on the boat you are looking at... That will give you a good idea of the value... I find it a nice tool to use when negotiating... I think this will get you to the correct page to start...
NADA Guide to boat prices

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Advice Needed - 4087 Offer Price? 19 Sep 2007 17:33 #8

• Bradvo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok your looking for suggestions. Offer 185,000 and wait for a counter ( the owner of a boat always thinks his boat is worth more then it is) , he may come back with 200,000. I personally think that would be the tops I would pay for this boat and only because of being 5 to 6 years old.
Treat it like a real estate deal. If your not happy with the deal make sure to walk and show patience, winter is coming along and that plays on an owners mind. The thing about boats is they always come up for sale, some with better toys on them .
I will say one thing, it is well used for being a 2001/2002 model.

If owner refuses offer, if still for sale 3 to 4 months down the road, offer again.

Advice Needed - 4087 Offer Price? 19 Sep 2007 17:46 #9

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 597
That suggestion about having proof of money available is spot on.
I made a real low ball offer with a check in full with my offer.
The owner took it.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Advice Needed - 4087 Offer Price? 19 Sep 2007 18:38 #10

• MerlinV
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 80
Barry,

You have mail as requested

Rob
Bayliner 5788
'Merlin V'
Vancouver BC

Advice Needed - 4087 Offer Price? 19 Sep 2007 19:56 #11

• SaltAirHigh
I read the message, replied as requested. Thanks for your help.

Since you have the same era boat, any opinion on the price issue?

Thanks,

Barry

Advice Needed - 4087 Offer Price? 19 Sep 2007 21:13 #12

• khanhdinhnguyen
barry: I saw the 4087 up at Banana belt boat it's nice boat well cared for.
might try looking at this boat also.
Brad is right: winter is coming and boats won't move as fast during the winter, be patient.
khanh

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds