Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Increasing 4087 battery capacity

Increasing 4087 battery capacity 19 Sep 2007 03:39 #1

• Dr Garry Kraft
  • Dr Garry Kraft's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I want to increase the house battery amperage (presently have 1 8D) but can't find room for more batteries (under cockpit have genset & extra fuel tanks-no room there)...
Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Increasing 4087 battery capacity 19 Sep 2007 04:25 #2

• MerlinV
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 80
Gerry,
On our 4087 we have replaced the standard 3 x 12V house batteries with 4 x 6V (225A/H) Golf Cart batteries which are contained in 2 battery boxes forward of the Stbd engine next to the hot water tank.

There are an additional 4 x 6V (225A/H) Golf Cart batteries dedicated to the 3.1 KW inverter with the boxes mounted on a star board panel between the engines. The original plan was to have a crossover switch installed between these and the house batteries, but in over 3 years we have never found the need to go ahead with this. For convenience of moving around in the engine room, we installed a five eighths thick star board platform over the inverter battery boxes. The installation of the inverter was such that it will not try to power up the Water Heater, Battery Charger or Air Conditioning.

The engine start batteries are each 8-D's, and a Group 27 for the generator in the lazarette. No changes were required to the factory alternators which easily handle the added demand. (I think the std units are 105 amp)

During Summer, we usually spend at least a month without shore power, and tend to run the generator for no more than an hour each day, which is primarily to heat the hot water rather than needing to recharge the batteries.

I hope this helps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rob
Bayliner 5788
'Merlin V'
Vancouver BC
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds