• Page:

TOPIC: Storage space in 3870

Storage space in 3870 17 Sep 2007 16:53 #1

• LTCret
  • LTCret's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Has anyone had a look under the midship cabin floor on the 38?

I have been considering putting a hatch in the midships cabin deck to add storage space. The Admiral would enjoy the additional storage but is not happy with tearing up new carpet to check!

I know the original water tank is inboard of the center two stringers. Does anyone know if the available space outboard the port center stringer is the same size as the bilge space under the galley deck?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Richard
1988 3870 Bayliner

Storage space in 3870 17 Sep 2007 17:34 #2

• capalla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yes, I did it. Perfect spot for liquior paper towels etc etc. Best to drill holes from the underside at base of mid cabin bunk; about 1 1/2" in from sides; at the corners. This lets you use a straight edge on floor and simply cut out hole to hole. I removed all my carpet and installed teak/holly.
I also cut a a hatch at foot of steps to galley. It's about 12" wide by 18" long. There is a plywood floor on top of the water tank. It's about 7" deep. Great spot for TP and can goods.
Doug

Storage space in 3870 17 Sep 2007 17:37 #3

• bsuttie
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0

capalla;69437 wrote: Yes, I did it. Perfect spot for liquior paper towels etc etc. Best to drill holes from the underside at base of mid cabin bunk; about 1 1/2" in from sides; at the corners. This lets you use a straight edge on floor and simply cut out hole to hole. I removed all my carpet and installed teak/holly.
I also cut a a hatch at foot of steps to galley. It's about 12" wide by 18" long. There is a plywood floor on top of the water tank. It's about 7" deep. Great spot for TP and can goods.
Doug

Do you have any photos of the project?

Brian
Meridian 490 "Salish Mariner"
Vancouver, BC

Storage space in 3870 17 Sep 2007 19:37 #4

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252

capalla;69437 wrote: Yes, I did it. Perfect spot for liquior paper towels etc etc. Best to drill holes from the underside at base of mid cabin bunk; about 1 1/2" in from sides; at the corners. This lets you use a straight edge on floor and simply cut out hole to hole. I removed all my carpet and installed teak/holly.
Doug

LTCret;69412 wrote: Has anyone had a look under the midship cabin floor on the 38?

I have been considering putting a hatch in the midships cabin deck to add storage space. The Admiral would enjoy the additional storage but is not happy with tearing up new carpet to check!

I know the original water tank is inboard of the center two stringers. Does anyone know if the available space outboard the port center stringer is the same size as the bilge space under the galley deck?

careful - you guys are talking about 2 different spaces.

LTCret - I'd guess you'll not be impressed with the size of the space there - you step down from the galley sole level so there won't be much room.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Storage space in 3870 17 Sep 2007 20:18 #5

• davidwigler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I'd also like to see pictures of both soles. We are considering teak flooring.

Storage space in 3870 17 Sep 2007 21:53 #6

• captgeorge
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Room under the stairs also!

Storage space in 3870 18 Sep 2007 12:24 #7

• capalla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I can't seem to upload the pics because they are two big a file. I'll have to take new ones.Back later. Doug

Storage space in 3870 18 Sep 2007 12:32 #8

• capalla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Here is one pic.

Storage space in 3870 18 Sep 2007 12:35 #9

• capalla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Storage space in 3870 18 Sep 2007 12:40 #10

• capalla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
OOPS! Just realized you said "midship cabin" . I would say there is no space there at all. The floor is pretty much on the hull there. The other space I used is at the foot of the steps to galley. I'll get a picture later. Doug

Storage space in 3870 18 Sep 2007 18:20 #11

• LTCret
  • LTCret's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Thanks for the comments. I "spaced" regards the stepdown. That really reduces the probable storage !!

I also have added the hatch at the lower station to access the storage area at the foot of the bunk in the midships cabin. The Commodore loves it!

Richard

Richard

Richard
1988 3870 Bayliner
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds