• Page:

TOPIC: 32## skylight leaking, cracked

32## skylight leaking, cracked 17 Sep 2007 13:24 #1

• lolar3288
  • lolar3288's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 35
The Skylight in my head (boat washroom – not me:D ) was leaking so I removed it this weekend with the plan to re-seal and re-install it. On close inspection after removing it I found several cracks in the plastic. None seemed to be through or leaking and may be stress cracks due to years in the sun so I have decided to replace it. A careful check of the one in the galley revealed micro cracks in it as well although it isn’t leaking yet. It is only 3/16 thick.

Has anyone replaced these units with glass or heavier plastic?

Larry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Larry

32## skylight leaking, cracked 17 Sep 2007 13:57 #2

• cessna210g
  • Thank you received: 4
I think you are talking about crazing. Both of mine are crazed. I haven't changed the skylight yet. I rember someone removed the skylights and put in small Ventilation Hatchs. Something like this

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Here is the web site http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=75647F if want more info.

Tim
Though I Fly Through the Valley Of Death... I Shall Fear No Evil ...For I am at 80,000 feet and Climbing. (sign over the entrance to the SR-71 operating location Kadena, Japan)
Pictures of work done on the boat

32## skylight leaking, cracked 17 Sep 2007 14:32 #3

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381
Years ago I helped a friend replace his and he used a cutting board to make new ones-the white plastic material. To seal it good he used 3M5200. Both of his popped out when the boat was trucked across the country.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

32## skylight leaking, cracked 17 Sep 2007 17:04 #4

• gmau
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
When I got my boat, the plastic was cracked with silicone all over the place.

I replaced mine with Lewmar flanged base Ocean hatches 10. The screen is built in and very easy to use. Works great and really nice to have more ventalation in the boat. The port one was hard to fit because of the microwave cabanet over the stove. I taped a trash bad to the ceiling and cut away. After the fit of the hatch and inside trim, I filled the edges with thickened epoxy and 4200 the hatch with screws. The trim will really get you. It was $70 for a piece of thin plastic. If you were paying someone to install it it would be a wash for the cost of a custom trim piece.

I talked to an x Bayliner employee. He said to use a sheet of plexy glass. Tint or clear and if you need the opaque look, lightly sand the inside edge. Most of the ones I've seen were cracked or re-bedded. I think they get stepped on and crack. With the screwed in hatch, they won't fall out!

32## skylight leaking, cracked 17 Sep 2007 20:25 #5

• ejsoder
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I replaced mine with Plexiglass. Clear on the Kitchen side and Frosted on the Bathroom side. Be sure to use a thicker plastic than the original, It will help to eliminate standing water on the skylight in the corners and facilitate draining. It has worked well for me. Ed

32## skylight leaking, cracked 18 Sep 2007 02:07 #6

• Pugetsoundog
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
We were lucky enough to find a set of small bomar hatches on ebay that matched our main hatch exactly. Aluminum frame with a smoked lens. I think they came stock on the 38's, so look at one for an example. But the really nice thing about these is the increased ventilation you get in the galley and head. The existing lens over they galley is very close to the cabinet trim. But measure carefully, twice, and you can get it in without having to cut the trim.

There ya go!

Pugetsoundog (woof)

32## skylight leaking, cracked 19 Sep 2007 01:12 #7

• lolar3288
  • lolar3288's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 35
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I had two pieces of 3/8 acrylic skylight plastic cut to fit. I used a smoked colour. Total cost was $31.00. I put them in with Silkaflex. I guess time will tell if it was the right thing to do.

Larry

Larry

32## skylight leaking, cracked 20 Sep 2007 03:08 #8

• ourpacifier
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I saw Pugetsounddogs installation several weeks ago, and it is up towards the top of our list. Very professional installation. If only he had the part nos. (hint, hint) :)

32## skylight leaking, cracked 20 Sep 2007 16:56 #9

• John A
  • Thank you received: 0
The previous owner of my 3270, Nate Brown, had installed small Bomar hatches. They are great! Stronger than the original plexiglas. They let more light in and the added ventilation is super. I'm sure there is a fair amount of work involved and some added cost, but I think you will be way ahead to go for the hatches.

Jack A.
1986 3270

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds