Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Buying 4788

Buying 4788 16 Sep 2007 07:13 #1

• Gary Renwick
  • Gary Renwick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
My wife and i live in Australia (Perth) ,we are looking to buy a 4788 and would like to know how these boats handle rough seas like a 2.5 to 3 metre swell ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Buying 4788 17 Sep 2007 02:00 #2

• soanst
I have owned a 4788 since 2001. I have run it all over the Northwest, down the West coast of the USA all the way to Ensenada, Mexico. My boat has proven to be more capable than I expected. Running downhill I have been in eight foot, long period, seas off Oregon and experienced no problems. I don't think I would have enjoyed the ride going back into it though! In California I frequently ran in four to five foot seas with no problems. However, short period seas are uncomfortable. The 4788 has fairly low freeboard at the bow and will throw lots of spray when driving it up into a big sea. If you are thinking of running often uphill into big seas this may not be the boat for you. A deep v entry and lots of freeboard with spray knockers may be more of what you need. Hatteras, Bertram, Ocean, Riviera may be more of what you want but will run many more dollars to both buy and operate. Extended deep v hulls, by default, will burn more fuel than a 4788.

Buying 4788 17 Sep 2007 13:21 #3

• Bradvo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Tony, My wife has mentioned a trip like this before (Mexico) if you do not mind how many fuel fills and hours did a trip like this take? Also, what time of year is best to do a trip like this.
Thanks

PS, not sure i am the off shore type either.

Buying 4788 17 Sep 2007 22:36 #4

• soanst
I did not run this all at once. I went from Sidney BC to Neah Bay and then made many stops in Oregon and Northern California. I have all of those stops and the fuel burn figures and the point-to-point times if you would like them. I would have to fish it all out of the log book. I carried about 30 gallons of deck fuel in jerry cans and never used a drop, a 4788 carries plenty of fuel for this trip.

I spent a great deal of time in Southern California and went all over there. So I don't think much would be helpful other than to tell you that six foot, six second, seas are to be avoided while six foot, thirteen second, seas are not too bad!

My trip from Ventura California to Ensenada Mexico started at 8:00 pm in terrible weather (read, slow down time!) I arrived in Ensenada Mexico the next morning at about 11:30 am in slightly improved conditions. There were roughly 120 useable gallons still aboard in the way of fuel. So, I burned about 296 gallons. I have about 208 gallons useable per side.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know. I am up in La Conner so if you ever come up and want to know more I would be happy to meet.

Buying 4788 18 Sep 2007 00:16 #5

• Bradvo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Nah, don't dig it all out Tony- just curiosity, we talk, or more like dream about wintering in the south. Somtimes the boat comes up, was curious what it would cost to make a run like that. Truth of the matter I am pretty certain I would not want to run that far ouside.
Your one of the rare ones here who have made a trip like that (entire west coast of the US), maybe the only one.
Thanks for the offer however.
Brad

Buying 4788 19 Sep 2007 06:53 #6

• JRSchwab
We purchased our 4788 with 250 Hinos in Vancouver, BC. I waited for a solid high to set up in the Gulf of Alaska, mid August. We left Bellingham early Saturday and got into Grays Harbor that evening. Sunday AM took on fuel on the Columbia (IIwaco) and arrived late in Coos Bay. Monday we took on fuel, & left late AM to Humbolt Bay with another night arrival. Tuesday took on fuel, departed late AM, and continued south all night passing under the Golden Gate Bridge late AM on Wednesday. We had great seas and good moon for night travel. Traveled 3 - 5 miles off shore most of the trip, but I was advised by several to travel out 20 - 25 miles off shore around Cape Mendicino. We has ~9 ft swells following for the better part of the night. What a rush, surfing down the swells in a 50 ft boat! I ran 2600 - 2750 RPMs/~ 15 -17 knots and burned 12 -13 gallons/hour. The gallons & hours are logged on the boat, if anyone is interested I'll get data next time I'm on board. A great adventure! Only wish is I had let it take more time and enjoyed the trip more than I did.

Joe/Manasseh
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds