Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3988 Carpet Replacement

3988 Carpet Replacement 13 Sep 2007 16:49 #1

• Steve Hatch
  • Steve Hatch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm looking to replace the carpet in my B3988 this winter and wanted to know if anyone, who has made this change, can remember how many yards of carpet was required? I plan to replace everything that is currently carpeted, including sidewalls.

Do you have any recommendations on the pad that should be used?

I'm considering a Traffic Master performance carpet. The fiber is 100% Stainmaster BCF Nylon material.

Any information and or suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve Hatch
M/V Sinbad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3988 Carpet Replacement 13 Sep 2007 17:32 #2

• joebooa
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Manalapan New Jersey
  • Thank you received: 10
Steve, I can't answer your questions but I just wanted to say hello. Its been along time glad to see your still around.

Joe
Green Eyed Lady
Sandy Hook NJ

3988 Carpet Replacement 13 Sep 2007 18:12 #3

• pete oettinger
Steve, I would also like to do mine sooner or later. Would you please post your info when its done?

Thanks
CapnPete

Cap'n Pete
'96 3988

3988 Carpet Replacement 13 Sep 2007 19:46 #4

• Bradvo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Steve,( ya been awhile suince we heard from you) It is one hell of a job to do. I did my 39, or I almost pulled all the carpet out before I turned it over to the installer. My arms were a wreck . The carpert is glued and tacked and it was meant to never ever , ever be removed, no kidding- I had muscle spasms and could not pick up a fork for a week.

I am really sorry about not being able to remember how much carpet to buy, I recall we had to really over kill for all the waste in the hatches. we did the entire job from salon thru out both staterooms.
For some reason 22 yards sticks out in my mind, But I could be way off.
Be cautious of buying a carpet that leaves foot print tracks , it just seems to mat down , squash down etc.
I went with an inexpensive 1/2" pad and was happy with the softer feel under our feet.
Be prepared to be spending time in the engine room also cleaning up fibers, seems like 2 years later I was still finding them.
It sure makes a boat look new inside again though.

PS, I recommend buying extra and have it custom cut to fit the salon area. Lay it over the top of your new install. I did not do this myself but it will keep your new install looking good for many more years . I seen this done on another BOC members boat (a 39,called Sol Desire if your looking in- your looks great.) and it really did look nice. Not seeing all those hatches just makes the room look better in my opinion.

3988 Carpet Replacement 13 Sep 2007 19:47 #5

• The Other Gary
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 128
Same here, I was going to do mine this winter.

"Adios Dinero"
1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

3988 Carpet Replacement 14 Sep 2007 23:07 #6

• Marzee
Steve, My 3888 used 10 yards of carpet and pad. I bought both at Anacortes Interiors. Important to me was 10 year stain warranty and high density pad. Depending on what you pick out be aware of a conditon the installers call "SMILE" that is a condition where when rounding the carpet over stairs or hatches the carpet pattern opens up and exposes the backing. This is unsightly. There is a top notch installer that works out of Anacortes Interiors

3988 Carpet Replacement 16 Sep 2007 15:14 #7

• Steve Hatch
Wow! You all sure have me thinking about the amount of carpet this job is going to take. Although I'm really set on a style of carpet that has some matching required, my estimates are much higher then what others have suggested.

For instance, the entry area from the door to the step up to the salon control and seating area measures almost 8 ft long by 9 ft wide. This is without taking into consideration the large hatches which will need to be formed from an additional piece when accounting for the edges.

The carpet I am considering is 12 ft wide and I will be installing it with the width running side to side. When I did a "rough" measurement and tried to account for all the steps and side wall areas, I'm thinking I need a piece that is 29 foot long. That turns out to be almost 39 yards.

Please someone give me a realty check.

Steve
M/V Sinbad
Shelter Bay, WA

3988 Carpet Replacement 16 Sep 2007 23:01 #8

• rbmitchell
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Steve, I had a 3818 recarpeted at Rybovich Spencer in Pompano Beach. They charged me a fortune, took forever and never want to see that kinda boat again. The problem was the prep (old glue and staples) and the thousands of little pieces due to the hatches and nooks and crannies.

When we bought a new demonstrator leftover Meridian 408 from Miami Marine Max, Alyson had included, as part of the deal, the replacement of the original 2004 off white carpet with the newer 2005 black and white patterned stuff.

The consideration, about $6000 to $7000 buried in the price, was not making any money for Marine Max. They did it, though, but we picked carpet fuzz and pieces out of everything for quite some time.

Good luck. We'll be down Wednesday to Friday during Fantesy Fest. Gonna be there?

Sophomoric Member

3988 Carpet Replacement 16 Sep 2007 23:28 #9

• tweekes
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
I did my 38XX floor only. It was a real bitch to get the old up, glue rebond, glue carpet. I left the wall carpet intact and chose a carpet to match since I would have had to take the entire boat apart piece by piece to get the wall carpet out. Get a pad for pet wee wee so it won't soak up water. I did mine for $800, floor only.... Taking abuse from installers was free. Carpet installers like to whine, did they think it was a condo? used a regular carpet store, owner was a boater.

3988 Carpet Replacement 16 Sep 2007 23:48 #10

• bigjohnbates
I just pulled up the carpet in my 2850 - messy as hell but small enough to handle myself (with a heat gun and a very sharp spatulla-type tool). And two strong arms to rip that 20-year-old crap up ; ]

But the main reason I'm posting is because I went with a really nice cork replica flooring (not lino, it's some kind of fibre/vinyl). It is well padded, was less than $3 per sq/ft (around $200 for my cabin) and everyone has commented on the improved looks. Even the sailboaters that have been putting holly/teak flooring in over the summer approve wholeheartedly. It is easy to clean, not slippery and the cork really offsets the wood and white interior. Personally, I'm not sure I would ever put carpet in a boat interior again but whichever way you decide it is an option to be considered. Cheers,

John Bates
Current: 1976 Uniflite 36 "Caleuche" w/ twin 454 Crusaders
Previous: '85 Bayliner 2850 - '89 Bayliner 2455 - '90 Reinell 179

3988 Carpet Replacement 16 Sep 2007 23:56 #11

• talman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Look for us in the San Juans
  • Thank you received: 120
thread hijack: Steve i saw your boat at Roche the week of Labor Day (wed?) I see your boat, but never get to see you. I know Sinbad exists. I think you might not exist......:)
Maybe next times, regards, Tally.

Tally and Vicki
"Wickus" Meridian 341
MMSI 338014939

3988 Carpet Replacement 17 Sep 2007 01:27 #12

• Steve Hatch
BigJohn, that was interesting about the cork replica flooring. If it weren't for the fact that the engines are below the floor in the main cabin I would consider something like that. The noise would be very loud when running and the addition of noise reduction blankets is another pain.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mr Mitchell, good to hear from you again. I see your boat at Sunset Marinia whenever I go out fishing. I'll be in Key West on October 17th for the winter and would love to see you. Give me a call when you have some free time.

Steve
425-418-9695

3988 Carpet Replacement 17 Sep 2007 18:06 #13

• bigjohnbates

Steve Hatch;69222 wrote: BigJohn, that was interesting about the cork replica flooring. If it weren't for the fact that the engines are below the floor in the main cabin I would consider something like that. The noise would be very loud when running and the addition of noise reduction blankets is another pain.

Hey Steve:

Hmm, I didn't think of the noise reduction aspect as my engine is astern. The carpet in this (1985) boat was no thicker than the flooring I put in so I doubt it changed much, yours may well be of a higher quality. As far as hatch access I still have that (with some nimble cutting).

There was an even more attractive style of fake cork that had an additional 1/4 inch foam underlay (still completely moisture resistant) but it was out of production in Canada when I ordered. That would have dampened sound for significantly. It was about $4 per foot, about the same as cork. Personally I would have preferred real cork but the existing under-floor would have required professional help ; ] Good luck with whatever you choose,

John Bates
Current: 1976 Uniflite 36 "Caleuche" w/ twin 454 Crusaders
Previous: '85 Bayliner 2850 - '89 Bayliner 2455 - '90 Reinell 179
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds