• Page:

TOPIC: Pro Heat vs Webasto

Pro Heat vs Webasto 13 Sep 2007 03:11 #1

• belandd
  • belandd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
There are several Pro Heat units for sale on ebay. They are 12 volts, 45K btu coolant heaters as used in trucks and other heavy duty vehicles.

They operate just like Webasto with the advantage of being cheaper and made in USA so parts are easier to obtain.

Does any one have any eperience with these units or know of any reason they won't work to heat my 3870?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pro Heat vs Webasto 13 Sep 2007 15:40 #2

• SteveE
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I don't know anything about the Pro Heat units. But in my experience, the cost of the actual burner unit is a smaller percentage of a total system cost that I expected. You might save some bucks on the boiler, but you will still be needing all the radiators, hoses, wiring, thermostats, fuel line, everhot, heat exchanger, exhaust system, etc. I think my Webasto 2015 cost around $2000, but I then spent another $4000 on the rest of the system for my 4550, and that was getting some good discounts through a friend that is a systems installer.

Look at the true overall cost, and how readily available regular service parts would be in the areas you expect to be boating. The Webastos are tried and true in the marine environment, so you know what you are getting.

You might take a look at the Hurricane heating system. I’m hearing good things about it.

Just my 2 cents....

SteveE
ABYC Certified - Marine Electrical
Dometic SeaLand Certified - VacuFlush & MasterFlush
Skagit Bay Search & Rescue - active member
1986 4550 "Synergy"
La Conner, WA

Pro Heat vs Webasto 13 Sep 2007 15:46 #3

• ChancesAre
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
the big difference is that it is NOT made to have the burner in an enclosed space, so you'll have to come up with supply air, makeup air, adequate heat shielding and a properly insulated exhaust pipe and outlet. In the truck application, the exhaust is just in free air. In a boat the pipe is going to be in a closed compartment and exit thru fiberglass, so you have to insulate it enough to keep it from damaging things or even igniting them. It certainly seems doable, but there will be some cost and some opportunity to get it wrong with potentially damaging consequences.

Pro Heat vs Webasto 14 Sep 2007 01:11 #4

• chuck4788
  • Thank you received: 4
If you are near Seattle the NA distributor for Webasto is Sure Marine in Ballard, they also have all of the little parts to make a system work as well as a very good installation guide.

Avatar is W coast of Lagara Island, British Columnia, Canada

Pro Heat vs Webasto 14 Sep 2007 02:09 #5

• davita
  • Thank you received: 1
The Pro-heat is made by Teleflex Canada here in Vancouver: actually a burb near the airport called Richmond.
I installed one on a 50ft aft cabin cruiser some 10 years or so ago when they first came on the market. It worked very well and I particularly liked the digital troubleshoot panel as I do recall that I had some trouble with the fuel pump, but that was made by a different company. Teleflex exchanged it free of charge, even after the warranty expired. I see on the website that they have a new fuel pump, at least it looks different.
The unit was hyped to be more technically advanced than the competitors but, to me, it worked the same. I used a combination inflow/exhaust that Sure Marine provided...in fact I think I bought all the equipment from them.
It made the boat very toasty as it pumped hot water thru' a 1 inch hose all round the boat, even under the beds and inside cuboards. I believe the hose gives up around 100btu's per foot. It also heated the flybridge and hot water system.
David

Pro Heat vs Webasto 14 Sep 2007 02:28 #6

• SteveE
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

chuck4788;68516 wrote: If you are near Seattle the NA distributor for Webasto is Sure Marine in Ballard, they also have all of the little parts to make a system work as well as a very good installation guide.

The installation guide for the Webasto 2015 I got from Sure Marine was excellent! They gave me a copy before I ever bought the heater so I could study it to get a handle on what was involved with installing a recirculation water system. Maybe try and get a copy from them for whatever Webasto you are thinking about, it's full of good information that should apply to all hydronic installations.

Sure also has a list of installers they recommend, and maybe they have someone in your area. That person will likely have installed systems besides just Webasto and may be able to provide some opinions about the Pro Heat units, or others. It would certainly be worth a few phone calls before you commit to the Pro Heat.

SteveE
ABYC Certified - Marine Electrical
Dometic SeaLand Certified - VacuFlush & MasterFlush
Skagit Bay Search & Rescue - active member
1986 4550 "Synergy"
La Conner, WA

Pro Heat vs Webasto 14 Sep 2007 14:45 #7

• belandd
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I noticed that the installation guide is available on line. It is very useful. I intend to use it for my guide.

I already have heat exchangers/fan units installed through out the boat. I have them connected to the stbd engine right now for heat while under way.

I installed a three way ball valve so I can switch between engine provided heat and boiler provided heat.

I can get the Pro Heat for about $900.00 where a Webasto will cost about $2500 plus the expansion tank etc that I will need for either unit.

Thanks for all the input.

Pro Heat vs Webasto 14 Sep 2007 19:31 #8

• capnken
  • Thank you received: 10
I would like to add my recommendation to consider the Hurricane also. I put one in myself this year, and I can't believe how nice the boat is now! It burns so clean they allowed them to demo it inside at the boat show! My neighors on the dock have Webasto, and they are ready to replace it with the Hurricane after seeing how well it works.
I would recommend the Hurricane II, since it also has 110V and allows you to run boiler less....I also put in new Torrid Hot water heater and run loop thru it, so I am heating boat and water with the Hurricane. I have a 12V circulating pump, but plan to add a 110V one to run system also,...you can then use it to keep the system on a very low maint. level during winter.....
Also, look at the digital thermostats....mine keep the boat at 1 degree of what the Oregon Scientific thermometer says....so they work great! Also, make sure whatever you choose to use the best quality hose, like the Trident multi-ply, as it will last longer.
good luck!!
Ken:arr

Pro Heat vs Webasto 15 Sep 2007 15:59 #9

• belandd
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks for the recommendation on the Hurricane heater. I have been trying to get a price for comparison but don't know who sells them. If you have recommendation and a phone number for a dealer send it to me.

Pro Heat vs Webasto 15 Sep 2007 16:17 #10

• ChancesAre
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I found Hurricane just by a Google search. For our purposes here in AK, it looked like the BC sources would be best for shipping and support.

The thing I found most attractive about the Hurricane is that it uses mostly conventional plumbing products such as valves and fittings rather than the purpose-made stuff common with the European units. Don't know what the ProHeat uses.

I got a good deal on a Wallas forced air and went that way, so I stopped looking.

In our climate, the real issue is sizing; a unit big enough to handle any weather is going to be very inefficient on a seasonal basis. I just went with one that would keep the boat comfortable in temperatures I was likely to be using the boat in; down to the mid-thirties (F). If I set the thermostat to 70(F), the furnace runs pretty much constantly when the temp is below about 40(F). Any colder than that and it can't keep the air temp at 70(F).

Another issue in our climate is moisture buildup. With forced air, it is easy to use some or all outside air for makeup and hold down the moisture buildup in the boat. The hydronics are just like the Red Dot and simply circulate the inside air allowing moisture to continuously build up unless you have a window or vent open. You could address that by having one or more of the emitters set up to use some or all outside air so you can get some air drying effect from the heat.

Pro Heat vs Webasto 16 Sep 2007 03:29 #11

• Pacrimrat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1995 4788, PNW
  • Thank you received: 137
It looks like the Hurricane puts out 85K BTU, the 2015 is 50K.

I just requested the full specs and pricing.

Pro Heat vs Webasto 17 Sep 2007 23:17 #12

• capnken
  • Thank you received: 10
I bought my hurricane II from Lattitude Maritime in Anacortes...Gordy Jensen, 360-293-5418. He's a great resource and has lots of experience...give him a call. Good luck!
Ken :)

Pro Heat vs Webasto 18 Sep 2007 03:39 #13

• Pacrimrat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1995 4788, PNW
  • Thank you received: 137
Thanks Ken, all I could find was a dealer on the east cost.

Pro Heat vs Webasto 22 Sep 2007 04:08 #14

• John Kito
Has anyone had success with ESPAR heaters? I am in Seward AK and find that they carbon up bad. Just looking for a good alternative.

Pro Heat vs Webasto 22 Sep 2007 04:28 #15

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381
My Espar carboned up badly. Boat Electric has reprogrammed the burner controller to only run on high fan setting and they claim it totally solves that problem. All newer units are shippped that way per BE in Seattle.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Pro Heat vs Webasto 22 Sep 2007 19:26 #16

• chuck4788
  • Thank you received: 4
Outside make up air for heating a boat should not be a problem because they are so leaky, just look at how poorly the sliding windows and doors are sealed.

My Webasto 2010 kept our boat toasty in 20F temps even when underway so they have enough capacity for most Bayliner applications. I have the same size Webasto in my motorhome and I've been told it is good to below zero although I've only used it down to 10F.

I don't understand the statements about non-standard plumbing fittings: The boiler has two barbfittings for coolant hoses, a fitting for fuel and an electrical connector. All of the water circulation system parts were available from Home Depot or an auto parts store, except for the circulation pump and the heat exchangers. Sure Marine recommends using a heavy duty hose for its better insulatiing qualities (I recommend using their hose). My thermostats were digital from Home Depot.

Avatar is W coast of Lagara Island, British Columnia, Canada

Pro Heat vs Webasto 23 Sep 2007 02:26 #17

• belandd
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Yeah, same here about non standard fitting. That was a head scratcher.

I bought a coupla rolls of the insulated red 3/4" heater hose off ebay. I used that to plumb my heat exchangers.

I bought the heat exchangers off ebay also. Set them up with switchs in each room. Four heat exchangers total. High/low and off.

I don't plan on being on the boat in the winter, just like the heat when it is chilly during marginal weather.

Thanks for your words of common sense.

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds