Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3870 info wanted

3870 info wanted 10 Sep 2007 22:08 #1

• Keysrock
  • Keysrock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I am interested in purchasing one of these fine looking 38 foot Bayliners and I'm looking for info, both good and bad. The boat I'm currently interested in has Hino 130hp engines and according to the broker, (they never lie-do they), this boat is immaculate. only 1180 hours, 1985 model. currently located in Florida and we plan on cruising Florida, ICW, maybe to the Bahamas, Is this boat seaworth enough for that?). The boat seems to be very well priced, at least according to the ads I have seen. Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3870 info wanted 10 Sep 2007 23:03 #2

• RobertSchommer
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
note that it has Chrysler/Mitsubishi Engines, not Hinos.

3870 info wanted 11 Sep 2007 00:03 #3

• tweekes
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Go with the 175 six cylinder normally aspirated Hino's minium. The Mits are just not powerful enough in my humble opinion. When the deal is too good to be true it usually is. Look for flybridge deck delamination which is very common as well as rotten risers. Money will cure all evils.

3870 info wanted 11 Sep 2007 00:20 #4

• RobertSchommer
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Looks like it might be this boat:
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatFullDetails.jsp?boat_id=1715600&ybw=&units=Feet¤cy=USD&access=Public&listing_id=9184&url=

Everything looks good about this boat except the engine room - I think you should get a good mechanical engine survey before buying the boat.

I don't think you'll see that boat going 14 knots.
Think of it as a displascement speed vessel - averaging 8 to 10 knots.

3870 info wanted 11 Sep 2007 05:10 #5

• unshackledbuzz
  • Thank you received: 1
My 1983 3818 has the 130hp Mits' and after adding 'Underhulls" it cruises quite nicely on a plane at 11-12 knots at 2600 RPM. The added benefit of the underhulls is much less rocking when anchoring.

Peter

3870 info wanted 11 Sep 2007 11:38 #6

• Keysrock
what are underhulls? also, what are the differences in the models? I mean 3870, 3818, 3888 and whatever else is out there?

3870 info wanted 11 Sep 2007 12:51 #7

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 380
The numbered hulls are all the same boat only different years. Bayliner got very confused on the numbering system to point that these numbers are essentially meaningless. The only thing that seems to matter is the year the boat was manufactured and the engines installed. I think in 96 Bayliner started installing 6 cyl Hino diesels with 175 HP and in the last couple of years the boat was made, 4 cyl 200 HP engines were availiable. In addition a few gasoline V-8, 38 boats were built.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

3870 info wanted 11 Sep 2007 17:35 #8

• divedoc
Actually, the 175s were installed in 1986. I have one.

Allen

3870 info wanted 11 Sep 2007 18:06 #9

• RobertSchommer
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
If it were me looking to purchase a 38xx, I'd be willing to spend an extra $5K to $10K in order to get a boat with the 175HP Hinos instead of the ChryslerMitsubishi's.

3870 info wanted 15 Sep 2007 23:27 #10

• Keysrock
thanks for all of your feedback. i did go to look at the boat and it is in pretty good condition and seems well cared for. I didn't see any evidence of delamination, but would get a survey if I proceed. We are sailboaters, so going only 8kts isn't really a problem for us, but I would be concerned if you thought that the Chrysler/Mitsubishi 130 hp engines would affect the future resale.

Also, do any of you have experience with this boat in rough weather? Does the boat roll much either underway or at anchor?
your input is greatly appreciated

3870 info wanted 16 Sep 2007 02:40 #11

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252
We're really sailors that crossed over to power in a gradual way.

The 38xx is a very stable platform. The forefoot is not a true deep V but is close. This is what gives it a decent ride yet offers a full sized forward cabin. The after portions flatten out quickly with a hard chine giving good rise on power and very flat stance at anchor. It is far more stable than a trawler, especially as you pick up the speed. It can roll if you shut down in a bit of a seaway but so does any boat.

Personally, I like to have the ability to get up and really go - enough so that I prefer gas to diesel. I wouldn't consider the Chryslers - but I understand that many people are less impatient than I and going slow does have some very real benefits. If you're OK with displacement speeds all the time you'll enjoy the boat. And it will sell when you're through with it.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

3870 info wanted 17 Sep 2007 17:42 #12

• chuck4788
  • Thank you received: 4
From my perspective if you are going out into blue water you need the 175hp engines, you don't need the power to run fast but to help climb the back sides of waves and to help prevent broaching when going down the front. I've found the best steering in a following sea is with the thottles. The 135s won't cut it.

The story I've heard was that Bayliner found a deal on some engines sitting in a wharehouse and designed a boat for them, the result was the 38 with the Mitsubishi engines. I've compared the hulls of the 38 and the Mainships from the era, both in the same yard, and I suspect Bayliner copied the Mainship hull. The results was not good performance so the follow on engines were direct injected Hino industrial engines marinized by US Marine, a new division of Bayliners. This became the famous 3888 Bayliner.

Avatar is W coast of Lagara Island, British Columnia, Canada

3870 info wanted 24 Sep 2007 23:22 #13

• Ricks4788
I had a 1986 for 12 years, absolutely a great boat , I had the 175 hinos, and they were a little under powered. I wouldn`t consider a smaller engine. I have a 47 for sale! Rick

3870 info wanted 27 Sep 2007 00:51 #14

• truebluex2
I have a 3870, 1983 I repower with volvo KAMD43P 235 HP
iT WILL CRUISE AT 14-16 KNOTS TOPS OUT AT 21 CLEAN BOTTOM THE MIST. ENGINES 130 WERE WAY UNDER POWERED FOR THIS BOAT.

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds