Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2001 Bayliner 4087

2001 Bayliner 4087 29 Aug 2007 02:04 #1

• Marvin D
  • Marvin D's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I need help evaluating the seaworthiness of a 4087 with the Cummins diesels. I am concerned that it's light weight and high profile will make it very top heavy in the Southern California/Santa Monica bay ocean with it's typical 4-6 foot swells and 1-2 foot wind chop. I have boated in these waters for more than 25 years in small sportfishers and center consoles. I can't find any reports/tests on this boat and thought other owners would be most informed. The boat tops at about 30 MPH at 2750 RPM. Planes well, but couldn't demo in rough seas!

Thanks,
Marvin D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2001 Bayliner 4087 29 Aug 2007 02:20 #2

• nfboater
  • Thank you received: 2
I have had my 4087 in 4-6 foot seas (not gentle swells) and she handled well , especially when head on. It tended to roll when taking the seas on the broadside, but no more than other boats that I was with of different designs. Generally, most people commented that the boat looked like it handled the seas well and I felt quite comfortable at the helm

Trev
Bayliner 4087 - Zuri
NL, Canada

2001 Bayliner 4087 29 Aug 2007 08:15 #3

• MerlinV
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 80
Ditto on nfboater's comments.

With our '01 4087, we have been out in some seriously ugly seas, and the boat handles them quite well, and tolerates them way better than the crew are able. The height of the flybridge from the water does tend to amplify any rolling of the boat although the boat remains stable as the centre of gravity is quite low, and having hard chines also helps.

The fairly deep vee hull design minimizes heavy hull slapping in rough water unless you really launch it at speed from very large waves, however, with the high amount of flotation in the stern, the 4087 can be a handful in a following sea, particularly a quartering following sea. This situation will also defeat the autopilot which reacts a little too slowly and then over corrects.

You mention that the boat is light weight, but with a dry weight of 24,000lbs, which will quickly exceed 28,000lbs with fuel, water and gear, I can't help wondering what it's being compared to. If you are expecting 30 mph regularly, I think you'll probably be disappointed even with the Cummins 330B's.

Here's a link from Powerboat TV:

http://www.powerboattv.com/newboat/2002/02Bayliner4087.asp

I suggest you also check out James & Jennifer Hamilton's MV Dirona (4087) website - There's few of us that have generated that that amount of cruising experience

http://www.mvdirona.com/

Good Luck!

Rob
Bayliner 5788
'Merlin V'
Vancouver BC
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds