Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: jumping guages

jumping guages 27 Aug 2007 21:01 #1

• starnje
  • starnje's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,
On my 3288, I have a problem where all the RPM guages jumps at time but not all at the same times and they all do it on the bridge and in the main cabin.

If I tap on it it sometimes get it back correctly while causing the other one to jump high

Are they dying or is there another cause for this.

Jean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

jumping guages 27 Aug 2007 21:11 #2

• NWCruiser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 51
I think the gauges get old and stick. My port RPM gauge on the flybridge will stick and I have to tap it get it to read right.

jumping guages 27 Aug 2007 21:20 #3

• mmichellich
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 380
If you have Hinos there is a good chance that the Tach sender is bad. I have had to replace mine several times in 11 years. The seals start to leak and then you get oil inside the sender. The oil has carbon in it which is a conductor and you get extra signals going to the tach which makes the tach jump around and sometimes peg out wide open. The solution is not pretty. A replacement sender isn't too bad and a generic one will work-any good truck store or good parts store should have one. It comes with the little plastic parts to drive the sender and you will have several to choose from to make it like the one you are replacing. To fix the seal problem, it is darn expensive as the whole body where the seal is installed has to be replaced as the seal is not a replaceable item. The last one Earl put in for me had a hole in it's bottom to drain off leaking oil to keep it from going to the sender. Maybe an old leaking part can be drilled but then you have a slow oil leak on back end of your engine. Of course after a while the sender will leak oil anyway if the seal has failed.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

jumping guages 28 Aug 2007 01:34 #4

• lolar3288
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 35
I have gas engines with the old three connection connector that pushes on over the screws on the gauge. I had to take them all off, clean them well and give the connector a very light squeeze with pliers to stop them from floating around.

Larry

Larry

jumping guages 29 Aug 2007 01:52 #5

• jmcannonball
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 61
My 3870 with 175 Hinos had the same problem. I replaced both sending units and the problem went away! Also, be sure to check for loose connection at the sending units and tacs.

Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys[/B]
Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
MMSI: 338030604
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds