TOPIC: Where Is It-On 47

Where Is It-On 47 27 Aug 2007 04:11 #1

• mmichellich
  • mmichellich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 380
I have only owned my 47 for almost 11 years and suddendly found out there apparently is a drain sump for my rear head sink. At least when water runs in the sink a pump runs shortly afterward and water runs out a thu hull and it is not the closest bilge pump running. I very rarely use my aft head and sink for anything except company so this was a suprise to me this summer. So where is the sump? Is it similar to the shower sump and should I have cleaned out the filter about 10 years ago?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Where Is It-On 47 27 Aug 2007 11:51 #2

• The Other Gary
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 128
Turn on the sink tap and look over the side.
then turn on the shower and do the same.

"Adios Dinero"
1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Where Is It-On 47 27 Aug 2007 15:14 #3

• dyoung
  • sidney, b.c.
  • Thank you received: 23
if yours is like everyone elses the rear sink runs into the bathtub sump..you should be able to see the hose by looking into the area ahead of the vacuum..on most later models the forward sink ran to the bathtub sump also..doug.

84-38,,86-38,,89-45,,97-47,,99-47,,01-47,,gone,,,now,,05-540 meridian,,sidney,,vancouver island.

Where Is It-On 47 27 Aug 2007 22:18 #4

• Pacrimrat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1995 4788, PNW
  • Thank you received: 136
My 1995 runs into the forward shower/tub sump.

Where Is It-On 47 28 Aug 2007 16:47 #5

• steves501s
  • Thank you received: 0
When I first got our 45, I kept finding water in the middle bilge, under the lower stairs. When having my sanitation system rebuilt, the installer found that the guest head sink flows into the bath tub sump. If someone used that sink, and the shower sump pump wasn't on, it would overflow. Now, when we are on the boat, we keep the 12v power to that sump on, and no more water in the bilge. Steve

Where Is It-On 47 28 Aug 2007 17:07 #6

• mmichellich
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
It for sure is not running into the forward sump as I have shut the power off to that sump and it still pumps overboard when the sink drains. The sump for the aft shower has only a manual pump-no auto drain feature. There seems to be another sump somewhere, sounds like it is under the rear shower area or behind the vacuum cleaner that I can not see around well. You can hear it run occasionally. The bilge pump under the stairs, the forward pump is really loud so it can't be running into the bilge and being drained there. I do have water in this bilge area but it comes from a drain tube I installed on the vacuum break for the rear head pump. It used to burp a few drops of water right on top of a really big multipin connector that powers the whole forward area of the boat every time you flush the rear head.

Started boating 1965

Where Is It-On 47 28 Aug 2007 18:24 #7

• Pacrimrat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1995 4788, PNW
Here’s a photo with the aft sink cabinet removed. You’re looking at the through hulls on the starboard side. Note the two black hoses are from the Y valves. (head to overboard) I removed these with the Y valves and capped off the through hulls. (You can see the bulges in the black hose, this is what they look like when permeated)

The 1 ½ white flex hose that you see is disconnected from the sink drain and is just sitting there against the other hoses. The bottom of the sink drain is lower then the through hull so it can’t go directly overboard.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

You can see the white flex hose going forward. (left) It connects to the forward tub sump box.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Note: Y valve is removed in this photo.

The noisy aft shower sump pump is located behind the vacuum.

If yours doesn’t look like this then maybe someone put in an additional sump for the aft sink.

Chris

Where Is It-On 47 28 Aug 2007 18:57 #8

• mmichellich
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for the photos, if I need to clean out the filter in this sump, do I have to remove the entire cabinet to do so, it sure seems that way. No wonder I have never seen it. I do get a whiff of foul smell coming from sink drain occasionally. Maybe it would be easier to pour a little bleach down it occasionally.

Started boating 1965

Where Is It-On 47 28 Aug 2007 21:05 #9

• Pacrimrat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1995 4788, PNW
Sorry for the large photos.

If you only have one sump box like mine then the box is located under the tub. You can reach it through the glass doors in the gangway. Left of the Vac.

I don't know why they would have two sumps.

To clean it all you have to do is remove the top and pull the screen out.

If you haven't had it out then it will be full of hair and yuck. Bleach won't do much for it and it's not very good on the system.

I use SS net strainers in the bathtub drain and the forward head sink. These catch the hair before it gets to the sump.

I assume your back up in Wasingington. I'm in Tucson and it's 105. I'll be back in Olympia late tonight. It might be easier if we talk directly. Email me and I'll send you my phone number. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Chris

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds