TOPIC: Did I fry the Xantrex?

Did I fry the Xantrex? 27 Aug 2007 03:03 #1

• whiskywizard
  • whiskywizard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252
Today I made a minor switching error and backfed the Xantrex Freedom 20 for about 3 seconds. I got that awful smell you get when you cook electronics but everything seems to be working; both charger and inverter.

Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Did I fry the Xantrex? 27 Aug 2007 03:57 #2

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381
Lucky, buy a lotto ticket. What did you fry in the Bayliner systems?

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Did I fry the Xantrex? 27 Aug 2007 15:24 #3

• Bradvo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 1

mmichellich;62535 wrote: Lucky, buy a lotto ticket. What did you fry in the Bayliner systems?

Or still cooking and don't know it yet?

What did you do or how did you back feed the inverter? i want to know so I do not duplicate this one day.
Hope all is well with it.

Did I fry the Xantrex? 27 Aug 2007 16:47 #4

• TonyTheBoater
  • Thank you received: 0
If you accidently backfed the Xantrex while it was OFF, no damage should have occurred (but no smell either). All that should have happened is that the LO BAT and OVERLOAD LEDs start blinking rapidly. It sounds like you backfed while the Xantrex was ON. You've probably just "cooked" a few wires and/or components thus shortening their life a little. You might try running the post-installation tests again, including...

- Does it transfer shore power when you connect to the dock?
- Does it pick up the AC load when shore power is removed?

Please share with us what you did to accidently backfeed so we can avoid doing the same.

Tony D. 2850 Contessa Command (Fly) Bridge 1983
Single GMC V8 260 hp 350 cu inches w/ Volvo Penta 280 DuoProp
San Francisco Bay

Did I fry the Xantrex? 27 Aug 2007 16:49 #5

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381
The inverter should be wired so that it is an impossible task-i.e. back feed it. Kinda like hooking up a generator to your home breakers, and not shutting off the main power and then when it comes back on, you really mess a lot of stuff up. I would look inside the inverter to see if any insulation is toast or burnt toast.

Depending on the frequency of the inverter power and shore/gen power you back feed or is it fed/fead, you could have a voltage varying from zero to 240 volts to your appliances connected.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Did I fry the Xantrex? 27 Aug 2007 17:03 #6

• Bradvo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 1

mmichellich;62694 wrote: The inverter should be wired so that it is an impossible task-i.e. back feed it. Kinda like hooking up a generator to your home breakers, and not shutting off the main power and then when it comes back on, you really mess a lot of stuff up. I would look inside the inverter to see if any insulation is toast or burnt toast.

Depending on the frequency of the inverter power and shore/gen power you back feed or is it fed/fead, you could have a voltage varying from zero to 240 volts to your appliances connected.

I did not back feed, but more like Fed a neutral wire 110 one time . Inverters do not care much for this happening to them.

Did I fry the Xantrex? 27 Aug 2007 18:48 #7

• lolar3288
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 35
Not to be the bearer of bad news but my friend in Vancouver has fried the control board in his Xantrex twice over the years switching to generator. Something about the way the neutral system is set up.

I know you have to separate the neutral output for the normal neutral bar when installing an inverter. I just install a new neutral bar in the A/C panel and feed it with the neutral out from the inverter, then attach all neutrals of loads feed through the inverter to it.

Larry

Larry

Did I fry the Xantrex? 27 Aug 2007 22:21 #8

• Johnny Vintage
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 104
I love the smell of 2 gauge wire burning in the morning!!:kidding

Did I fry the Xantrex? 28 Aug 2007 03:20 #9

• rodell
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25
I'd be worried about the protection circuits, even if it appears to work. You might not have the protection you think. It is possible you warmed a component or two, but, it didn't fail, though. You almost certainly shortened its life.

Bob
Smiles / Hour

Did I fry the Xantrex? 28 Aug 2007 11:09 #10

• rich38
  • Thank you received: 0
:eek:
Mike, what was the switching error?

Rich
1991 3888
Homeport: Riverside, NJ

Did I fry the Xantrex? 28 Aug 2007 11:31 #11

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Do not try this at home.

I wired my inverter to provide power to ccts on the left side of the 3888 AC panel. Trouble is, that left the aft receptacles on the unpowered side. When we were away this summer I added a 10A jumper breaker to supply the right side from the left. I explained to the Admiral how it worked and how important it was not to have that tie breaker closed if the genny was to be run or we were about to plug into shore power. It was meant to be a stopgap until we got home.

I was messing around with some system maintenance on the shore power inlet plugs. When I was done, I plugged us back in to test and immediately realized I hadn't checked the panel. I also heard the Freedom 20 making an odd "chunking" noise. I flipped open all breakers and switches and grabbed a FX. I followed my nose to the locker where I have the inverter, mentally kicking myself in the a$$.

So far, all tests are negative; the device continues to work properly. I'll call Xantrex and see what they think.
If I have to send it back and service it, well I guess that's the price I pay for a stupid oversight.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Did I fry the Xantrex? 28 Aug 2007 14:00 #12

• lolar3288
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 35
I suppose it is too late to discuss the evils of tie breakers!!!!

Let's hope you got lucky! If you have output from the invertor it probably survived.

If you need a new inverter I have the name of a company in Toronto that sells factory rebuilt Freedoms for a good price. If you need the name and address let me know. I think they also repair inverters and are a Xantrex dealer (one of the largest in the area).

I smoked mine doing a stupid thing earlier this year. I had the A/C on the invertor side of the panel (was going to rewire it but.....)and disconnected shore power with the a/c still running. I know the smell too well!

When we were in Whitby, we stayed at the YC. Guess what! They assigned me your slip! Even the lines fit! Thanks for the use of it.

If you need the name and address let me know. I think they also repair inverters and are a Xantrex dealer (one of the largest in the area).

Larry

Larry

Did I fry the Xantrex? 28 Aug 2007 16:28 #13

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

lolar3288;63017 wrote: I suppose it is too late to discuss the evils of tie breakers!!!!

Let's hope you got lucky! If you have output from the invertor it probably survived.

If you need a new inverter I have the name of a company in Toronto that sells factory rebuilt Freedoms for a good price. If you need the name and address let me know. I think they also repair inverters and are a Xantrex dealer (one of the largest in the area).

I smoked mine doing a stupid thing earlier this year. I had the A/C on the invertor side of the panel (was going to rewire it but.....)and disconnected shore power with the a/c still running. I know the smell too well!

When we were in Whitby, we stayed at the YC. Guess what! They assigned me your slip! Even the lines fit! Thanks for the use of it.

If you need the name and address let me know. I think they also repair inverters and are a Xantrex dealer (one of the largest in the area).

Larry

Some other WYC members said you were there and were asking about us but we were away - too bad, but I'm sure our pathes will cross yet.

I'd aprreciate that contact info. I think I'll take the unit in and have him lok it over just to be safe.

p.s. - removing my tie breaker has moved higher on my list!

pps - Johhny - it's 3/0 wire. If it were 2AWG the job would have seemed almost free!

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

- Ferris Bueller

Did I fry the Xantrex? 28 Aug 2007 17:18 #14

• davidwigler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Mike,

What I did is cut the bus on the stbd side and install a jumper wire from Line 1 so that the outlets and microwave on the stbd side are powered by the inverter, and everything else on the stbd side is powered by line 2 (water heater, fwd A/C, cabin heater). I also moved the water heater breaker to the empty spot at the bottom of the bus. This leaves no possibility of a backfeed situation.

There is a reset procedure on the Xantrex website, Technical Note 512-0097-01-01 Rev 1. You might try that. Good luck.

Did I fry the Xantrex? 28 Aug 2007 17:25 #15

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

davidwigler;63068 wrote: Mike,

What I did is cut the bus on the stbd side and install a jumper wire from Line 1 so that the outlets and microwave on the stbd side are powered by the inverter, and everything else on the stbd side is powered by line 2 (water heater, fwd A/C, cabin heater). I also moved the water heater breaker to the empty spot at the bottom of the bus. This leaves no possibility of a backfeed situation.

There is a reset procedure on the Xantrex website, Technical Note 512-0097-01-01 Rev 1. You might try that. Good luck.

Thanks David. It was silly of me, but as an ex-nuclear plant operator I guess I felt subconsciously there was no switching too complex for me. Dooohh.

A question for everybody - did anyone redraw their panel schematic so it was more representative of the ccts, and if yes, what did you do? A big sticker, paint and new lines, ???

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

- Ferris Bueller

Did I fry the Xantrex? 28 Aug 2007 17:32 #16

• davidwigler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The only thing I did was put a new label on the water heater breaker that was moved to the bottom of the bus. It doesn't look great, so I too am interested in better solutions.

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds