Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: racor 500 /900 ma for 150 hino

racor 500 /900 ma for 150 hino 22 Aug 2007 17:22 #1

• bradc344
  • bradc344's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Goodmorning ,after a lot of trouble with filters this year I am going to up grade to the turbo racors.
My question is it better to go with the bigger 900 series or will the 500 do the job? I do'nt want to do a over kill ,just get a filter that is easy to change and will filter out more bugs.
Has anyone installed the turbo filters in line with the stock 225 racors and used the the stock filters in case you need to switch over while running and change the the 500/900 later. Any photos of the installation of this type of sit up ,I know pete (steelwkr1) did this type of job and posted photos but I can't find them .
I have a 1991 3288 with 150 engines and the boat sits a lot,we use it for 7/ 8 weeks in the summer then it is drydocked unitl the next season ,this allows a lot of time for the bugs to grow and die and plug my filters . I put in the additives and fill the tanks but at the end of the season ,any othe suggestions would be appreciated ,thanks Brad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

racor 500 /900 ma for 150 hino 22 Aug 2007 19:40 #2

• Pacrimrat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1995 4788, PNW
  • Thank you received: 136
Brad,

I run 500's on my 310's. Some of the guys have 900's or 1000's.

The 500 can handle 60 GPM so it is plenty big enough for 150hp.

If you watch Ebay you can find filter at good prices. There’s a guy in Modesto, CA. that sells a lot of Racor stuff. Racor is in Modesto.

If you buy online make sure you get the marine type filters with the metal bowl. 500MA, 900MA etc.

Note: if you go with 500’s there’s a Services Bulletin out on them. The older type must have a spacer put in under the newer type filters. Not a big thing to do.

Here’s the filter chart.

Chris

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

racor 500 /900 ma for 150 hino 22 Aug 2007 22:14 #3

• betelgeuse
  • Thank you received: 0
I put the 900MA on our 3288. I removed the 225R that was installed. There isn't a lot of room where the filters reside. I couldn't figure out an arrangement that would allow keeping both sets of filters. The 900's are more than twice the size of the 26p/s/t filters and can be changed without losing prime.

Jerre

racor 500 /900 ma for 150 hino 23 Aug 2007 02:05 #4

• ourpacifier
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Earl installed a new filter system for us last year , replacing our 2xx with 500s, including vaccum gauges and electric fuel pump. In his opinion, the 500s were fine. Part of the reason for the change was that some of our seals had failed, and we found that the 2xx were obsolete, with no parts available. We find the 500s very easy to change, and with the electric fuel pump, very easy to prime. Thank you Earl.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

racor 500 /900 ma for 150 hino 23 Aug 2007 03:43 #5

• bradc344
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
ourpacifier, do you have any more photos or a drawing of the hoses ,that is what I'am looking to do .Can you change the filters through the access hatch in the lower room or do you have to open the engine covers ,looks like a great job that earl did ....Thanks Brad

racor 500 /900 ma for 150 hino 23 Aug 2007 04:48 #6

• JGodfrey
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Hey Bob, I am looking at the picture you posted. I am trying to figure how Earl set up your pump. Is the pump pulling a suction through the filters to prime them? I guess what I am asking, is the T fitting on the "after filter" side, or the Tank side?

Capt. Jim Godfrey
1994 4788 Hino 310's "BIG DEAL"
Summer = http://marinas.com/view/marina/5256
Winter = http://marinas.com/view/marina/5844_Philadelphia_Marine_Center_PA
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"A ship in a harbor is safe, but that...

racor 500 /900 ma for 150 hino 23 Aug 2007 05:21 #7

• JRSchwab
Jim,

Here's a paste from an earlier thread. I posted a video of Earl explaining the same system he set up on our 4788 using 2 - Racor 1000 for the Hinos & the 500 for the Gen Set.

..... , here's a video link of Earl explaining the filtration/fuel pump system he installed.

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=4p3locw

Joe/Manasseh

racor 500 /900 ma for 150 hino 23 Aug 2007 05:45 #8

• yachtman32
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
thats too cool, any part numbers for the electric pump and light that were used would be appreciated, also sketches of the system if possible. thanks,Jim

"Amore"
Pend Orielle Lake, Idaho
1986 3270 110 Hinos
Self Trailered.
17' Tashmoo Boston Whaler
90 HP Johnson

racor 500 /900 ma for 150 hino 23 Aug 2007 14:44 #9

• JRSchwab
The fuel pump is from an auto parts store (not fancy or expensive) & the plumbing is straight forward (ask Earl for any specifics). I think it's pretty well captured in the video.

Earl also set up a fuel polishing system using a 3rd Racor 1000 with a higher GPH flow pump (Harbor Freight). He also inserted two 'stand pipes' that feed from the very bottom of the tank and when I have < half a tank, I can shuttle the fuel back & forth through a 2 micron filter in the Racor 1000 and really clean up the fuel. This system is removed from the boat when I'm not using it.

Joe/Manasseh

racor 500 /900 ma for 150 hino 24 Aug 2007 14:56 #10

• bradc344
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for all of the replies ,I think I will go with the 500 and maybe try the pump to prime the system ,if anyone has a drawing of this type of sit up could you please post it .I have looked at the video and the photo and think I understand the sit up .....Thanks again for all the help this site is great Brad

racor 500 /900 ma for 150 hino 25 Aug 2007 18:57 #11

• ourpacifier
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Brad and Jim...Your questions to me were pretty much answered in the above video. Basically that is the same system Earl put on our 3270. I can change a filter from above, but I don't because of bringing diesel fuel into the cabin. The Admiral doesn't go for that. If you want to drain and clean the housing you have to do it from below. We don't have a generator so it isn't much of a problem.

racor 500 /900 ma for 150 hino 29 Aug 2007 14:51 #12

• Fransey
  • Thank you received: 1
I would like more info on Earl's fuel polishing system. How was it constructed and how much did it cost?

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds