Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Liveaboard - who has had to store new boat - while waiting for a SLIP ?

New Liveaboard - who has had to store new boat - while waiting for a SLIP ? 26 Dec 2016 19:04 #1

• JLSBLINER
  • JLSBLINER's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi all,

I am in the PNW area (Canada / Puget Sound) .. and would be interested in others experience with getting their first liveaboard slip.

Q1) who has had to store their new liveaboard boat .. while waiting for a full time liveaboard SLIP ?
Q2) who got their slip FIRST , then went out and bought their boat ?

Thanks all,

JBliner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Liveaboard - who has had to store new boat - while waiting for a SLIP ? 26 Dec 2016 20:43 #2

• Bout Time
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
Have you checked Semiahmoo in Blaine?

Robert

Boatless at the moment

Previous boats

Eleminator's... 2
Tahiti... 1
Centurian... 1
Hondo... 1
Deaver... 1
Sleekcraft... 1

New Liveaboard - who has had to store new boat - while waiting for a SLIP ? 27 Dec 2016 04:25 #3

• JLSBLINER
  • JLSBLINER's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
Have not yet .. thanks for the tip .. so far the slips there mostly appear to be for purchase .. as a Canadian I can't live in the usa full time / year round .. residency rules and such .. so buying a slip in the usa likely would never work.

New Liveaboard - who has had to store new boat - while waiting for a SLIP ? 27 Dec 2016 04:49 #4

• Shawnh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 83
We got the boat slip when we had the contract to purchase the boat. Once we had the boat, we applied for live aboard permission. It took about 6 weeks before the marina called with permission.

I have a friend who has rented a slip for living aboard and has just contracted with a builder to build his boat. It will be next fall before he gets the boat.

It all depends on what you can organize with the marina.

1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
S. Puget Sound

New Liveaboard - who has had to store new boat - while waiting for a SLIP ? 27 Dec 2016 06:07 #5

• Bout Time
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
You can rent there
The following user(s) said Thank You: JLSBLINER

Robert

Boatless at the moment

Previous boats

Eleminator's... 2
Tahiti... 1
Centurian... 1
Hondo... 1
Deaver... 1
Sleekcraft... 1

New Liveaboard - who has had to store new boat - while waiting for a SLIP ? 28 Dec 2016 15:28 #6

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382

JLSBLINER wrote: Have not yet .. thanks for the tip .. so far the slips there mostly appear to be for purchase .. as a Canadian I can't live in the usa full time / year round .. residency rules and such .. so buying a slip in the usa likely would never work.

Sheesh. Just go to Timmys every once in a while. No one is tracking how long everyone stays down here.

New Liveaboard - who has had to store new boat - while waiting for a SLIP ? 29 Dec 2016 00:45 #7

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 617
Make sure that you check the rules in private, condo-type marinas before you commit to a slip one. In some cases those marinas allow live-aboard by slip owners but not by renters or lessees. For example, that's the case with ours at Anchor Cove. Renters there cannot live-aboard.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

New Liveaboard - who has had to store new boat - while waiting for a SLIP ? 30 Dec 2016 07:02 #8

• LeePTI
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 151
2. Twice I unexpectedly got a rare larger slip and had to buy a larger boat to keep it. (That was my excuse to the Amiral.)

Lee
2007 Meridian 490
2007 Meridian 368
1996 2855 Cierra
1978 Caribbean 26'
Oceanside, CA

New Liveaboard - who has had to store new boat - while waiting for a SLIP ? 30 Dec 2016 07:08 #9

• Bout Time
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
lol lee did that excuse include a couple bottles of wine

Robert

Boatless at the moment

Previous boats

Eleminator's... 2
Tahiti... 1
Centurian... 1
Hondo... 1
Deaver... 1
Sleekcraft... 1

New Liveaboard - who has had to store new boat - while waiting for a SLIP ? 30 Dec 2016 19:26 #10

• rossi45
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 51
Which areas are you looking in in BC? Try some of the harbour authority marinas. Most of the ones I know allow live aboard. Victoria HA has a few areas and there's always West Bay. They all might be full right now. Not sure but if you start looking further up island, you might have some luck.

2001 Bayliner Ciera 2455 5.7 Merc MPI, Bravo 3
2009 Subaru WRX STI
2017 stick with a nail on the end of it

Victoria, BC

New Liveaboard - who has had to store new boat - while waiting for a SLIP ? 17 Jan 2017 21:41 #11

• Tarek307
  • Thank you received: 0
If the deal is great, i'd say just get the boat & store it

New Liveaboard - who has had to store new boat - while waiting for a SLIP ? 17 Jan 2017 21:41 #12

• Tarek307
and good luck with living aboard, i'm thinking about doing it eventually

New Liveaboard - who has had to store new boat - while waiting for a SLIP ? 30 Apr 2017 14:15 #13

• Starchanger
We are currently in this situation. Have been 'looking' for a while but finally pulled the trigger, downsized, sold the big mortgage, and now have "boat money". Put an offer on a lovely 4588 a few weeks ago and immediately went to Blaine to get our live aboard slip. Supposedly the last one available for the year..and on the commercial dock. The deal fell through on survey, however, so we just came back around to another 4588 we had previously looked at but had turned down due to cosmetics and lack of canvas. Offer has been accepted, and now we're pending survey again. The slip is still empty and waiting.....but we have one!

We're on the waiting list for Bellingham, where our business is....ironically, located in the Port of Bellingham (Bellwether Center). The idea is for the boat to (eventually) be 100 yards from my office door. ;)

New Liveaboard - who has had to store new boat - while waiting for a SLIP ? 21 May 2017 05:52 #14

• HotwireJim59
  • Thank you received: 3
We stored ours at Banana belt boats in Anacortes for a few months. Cool thing you can have them drop you in the water just about any time. Open 7 days a week. Cool down to earth people.

jim and Anna 1994 4788 Refresh 310 Hinos
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jr
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds