Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Actual discussions occurring regarding "living-aboard" - but an RV or a boat?

Actual discussions occurring regarding "living-aboard" - but an RV or a boat? 05 Nov 2016 16:32 #1

• Dadrock33
  • Dadrock33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • SE of York, PA
  • Thank you received: 71
Admiral and I are actually entering the discussion phase of "what are we going to do for retirement?". Yeah, I can't believe it either. :S She isn't so hopped up on the boat aspect but, of course, it's the only course that I've ever had my heart set on for years. So, I need to convince her. I've been reading the posts in the "Liveaboards" section and have gotten some good ideas but I'm thinking I need to get a woman's opinion or blog or whatever for her to read that might help persuade her. Ergo - any suggestions? I've looked at a couple but some of them want some serious money and we're just looking for now. I don't want to scare her off that quickly.

Appreciate your thoughts.

We used to camp in a pop-up (one of the biggest that Jayco ever made - had two axles underneath, king in our end and a queen in the other!) and really loved it and the freedom to go do things we couldn't afford to do (for a two week vacation time). I also used to drive a long haul rig so I'm familiar with diesels and oil changes, etc. Still drive a lot today but it's just small cars and trucks for the local dealership "corporation". :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
James H. Stradling

Actual discussions occurring regarding "living-aboard" - but an RV or a boat? 05 Nov 2016 17:07 #2

• The Other Gary
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 128
I have done both, had several motorhomes when the kids were young and have llived aboard my boat for the past 15 years.
From an activity and healthy living aspect I will take the boat every time.
The people I meet travelling in marinas are great, no barriers as to income race or type of boat.
Nor so for campgrounds and I see far more people that appear less healthy in campgrounds.
To be politically Incorrect. Camping World sells extra wide lawn chairs for a reason.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dadrock33, Starchanger

"Adios Dinero"
1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
Photo Credit: Whiskywizard
Last Edit: by The Other Gary.

Actual discussions occurring regarding "living-aboard" - but an RV or a boat? 05 Nov 2016 17:21 #3

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
Maybe this will help you decide or work things out. You will need the Audible app.to listen to it.

I've listened to an Audible book you might enjoy. It's totally free, if it's your first time accepting a book from a friend.
It's called .....Get her on board . Secrets of sharing the raising dream.
a.co/hHdqXWr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dadrock33

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

Actual discussions occurring regarding "living-aboard" - but an RV or a boat? 06 Nov 2016 18:59 #4

• Dadrock33
  • Dadrock33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • SE of York, PA
  • Thank you received: 71
To "the other Gary" (I don't know who the first one is?) - actually, is the 3988 big enough for two of you to live on comfortably? There are two for sale down at Knot 10 in Grasonville, MD and I think one of them has the 370HP Cummins diesels. . . . . looks like a pretty good deal actually.

Thanks Yachtman!! Told the wife that you gave us an audiobook and, as much as she reads, it could prove interesting!

What type of boat do you have there? Doesn't show in your signature but looks interesting. Thanks again.

1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
James H. Stradling
Last Edit: by Dadrock33.

Actual discussions occurring regarding "living-aboard" - but an RV or a boat? 06 Nov 2016 20:47 #5

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297

Dadrock33 wrote: To "the other Gary" (I don't know who the first one is?) - actually, is the 3988 big enough for two of you to live on comfortably? There are two for sale down at Knot 10 in Grasonville, MD and I think one of them has the 370HP Cummins diesels. . . . . looks like a pretty good deal actually.

Thanks Yachtman!! Told the wife that you gave us an audiobook and, as much as she reads, it could prove interesting!

What type of boat do you have there? Doesn't show in your signature but looks interesting. Thanks again.

The book is kind of interesting. However it's kind of a how to convince the wife to do it book. Lol it talks a lot about cruising but actually has a lot of ideas about living aboard and how to get along. It talks about the guys experiences and failures of living aboard. I would be interested.in what you thought of it when you finish the book.

Things you might not have thought about. The book has some bad language in it but most of it is in a funny use kind of way. I hope you like it.

The boat I have is a 32 ft bayliner Conquest express. I used to have a 3988. I would have to say it's a very livable boat. It has a nice bath tub. A good galley/ kithen and living area. I didn't care or the up dining table but it's not bad.

In the guest bed area there is a huge storage area behind a screw on panel where there are 2 water heaters and space for more. I'm not sure why bayliner didn't make that space more accessible. I put a latched door on mine worked great. I had the 330 Cummins they were good engines but parts were costly.

This was my 3988 I really liked the aft hardtop fly bridge extention. In bad weather it gives you extra indoor space in nice weather you have the upper deck to hang out in the sun on.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

Actual discussions occurring regarding "living-aboard" - but an RV or a boat? 08 Nov 2016 12:31 #6

• 360 mafia
  • Thank you received: 15
Both of you need to read Rv living printed in 90s.saddest thing in that book is how the husband is full of happeness but the wife is just waiting for him to get over it,
thinking its done and out in less than 5years.Some folks have a strong bond to STUFF and family.Have real conversation and listen.Maybe you can use your boat as a base.and r.v. to go see family and friends every month or so.

Actual discussions occurring regarding "living-aboard" - but an RV or a boat? 10 Nov 2016 16:39 #7

• masonj
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33
Be extra nice to your adult children & encourage them in purchase nice large comfortable homes with guest accommodations!
We just sold our 35ft Airtstream MH. After purchase of our 4588, we just did not use the coach.
Now we split time btwn boat & kids' homes plus frequent vacation hotel resorts.
This helps to keep my princess bride happier with boat life.

1990 4588

Actual discussions occurring regarding "living-aboard" - but an RV or a boat? 10 Nov 2016 18:03 #8

• ksanders
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 230
My biggest advice regarding the subject of what to do, IE live aboard, or RV, or nothing is try it! Just do it in a way that you are not committing your whole life to it, with no "go back"

Hopefully you do not have to sell everything to see if you'll like the lifestyle, but why not try different things and see what you like.

We bought our 4788 as a "retirement" boat to see if we like spending more time on it than working life allows. Until we actually leave the workforce we have no actual clue what it will be like. Perhaps we'll like it allot. Perhaps we'll figure out that it is not for us.

We have also considered buying a 5th wheel or motorhome. We might just try that. We have seen nice 5th wheels for less than the cost of many used cars. Nothing stopping us from buying one and trying it out. If it doesn't work out we sell the thing, maybe take a bit of a loss and move foreward.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dadrock33, maxumal

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com

Actual discussions occurring regarding "living-aboard" - but an RV or a boat? 10 Nov 2016 22:47 #9

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 450
We do both, RVing is easier IMO. Motorhome travel is the most convenient, but a 5th wheel is more economical. We have the 2858, which is OK for us, but we would like a 30-something. A larger boat won't be towed, but will be a much more comfortable 2nd home. We have a 30' 5th wheel, which is easy to tow and plenty of room for us traveling. We'll never full-time in either, but I'd like to down-size the house. So far that's falling on deaf ears... :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dadrock33

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Actual discussions occurring regarding "living-aboard" - but an RV or a boat? 11 Nov 2016 01:12 #10

• kev_rm
  • 1987 3870 Hino 175's
  • Thank you received: 31
Done the RV thing last couple of years in process of switching to boat.

2/3 of earth is water. Just sayin'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: maxumal, Starchanger

Actual discussions occurring regarding "living-aboard" - but an RV or a boat? 11 Nov 2016 21:01 #11

• tredguy
  • Glad to be here.
  • Thank you received: 5
We do both, 1/4 time on the boat, 1/3 in our 40'bus and the rest of the time in our home. The bride likes to travel, but loves to come home. Funny thing, getting there on the boat is relaxing... Getting there in the bus is stressful.

Craig & Vicki
and Sally Sue & Lucy Lou
1994 4788 "Treading Water" Dink- "Skid Marks"
Homeport: Pittsburg Ca
San Francisco Bay/Delta
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jr
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds