Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: We're considering 1982 40' Bayliner Bodega for Liveaboard - seeking opinions

We're considering 1982 40' Bayliner Bodega for Liveaboard - seeking opinions 14 Aug 2016 02:28 #1

• Pdxgrl33
  • Pdxgrl33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello! We're considering buying a 1982 40' Bayliner Bodega. Use for this boat will be Liveaboard primarily, docked at a marina. Secondarily as a river runner in the Pacific Northwest. One-year old survey shows clean, but will be requesting new survey. Approximately 600 hours on the engines. Initial instinct is that we've found a gem, but further investigation will tell. We welcome input on the Bodega. We've read mixed reviews. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Pdxgrl33.

We're considering 1982 40' Bayliner Bodega for Liveaboard - seeking opinions 15 Aug 2016 17:50 #2

• canoel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 674
Welcome to the forum!!
The Bodegas are great boats, but are thirsty when you get to the pump.
Lots of room, but as with any boat of that age be sure to get a very thorough survey done.
Engine access is not the best either, especially if you ever have to replace an engine.
The one you are looking at have gas or diesels?

Joel
1987 3818 Hino 175
"Knotty Girl"
Prince Rupert B.C.

We're considering 1982 40' Bayliner Bodega for Liveaboard - seeking opinions 16 Aug 2016 16:53 #3

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382
I just saw one of those the other day and had to stop and check it out as I never saw one before. The fold down stairsteps from the flybridge to the forward deck caught my eye. I really like the sliding door adjacent to the helm like the tug replicas have.

We're considering 1982 40' Bayliner Bodega for Liveaboard - seeking opinions 16 Aug 2016 18:00 #4

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 964
There are a number of older BOC posts on the Bodega that could/would be useful - here is one of them that turns up in a search....
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...bayliner-bodiga-4050

Northport NY

We're considering 1982 40' Bayliner Bodega for Liveaboard - seeking opinions 16 Aug 2016 18:26 #5

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 115
I have bodega envy. Looked very hard at one. They are positively huge inside and one of the few aft cabins I'd want to own. The one you are referring to has been for sale for a loooong time probably due to the (ahem) hopeful price and 454 gassers. That's a big heavy boat for gas engines. The picture reflects pink upholstery, original vinyl and countertops Few more $$$ and you could get into a more modern aft cabin like a 3587, just my unsolicited opinion.

We're considering 1982 40' Bayliner Bodega for Liveaboard - seeking opinions 17 Aug 2016 18:03 #6

• Pdxgrl33
Thanks so much for the input, everyone. We haven't seen anything we like better in our general area, so we're going to move forward with the survey. Eyes wide open. We'll see how it goes. Gas consumption is of some concern, but as everyone has said, the roominess for a boat this size is pretty appealing. Stay tuned! :)

We're considering 1982 40' Bayliner Bodega for Liveaboard - seeking opinions 17 Aug 2016 19:06 #7

• dhoward
  • Thank you received: 1
We picked up an '80 for a song. Best boat we've seen as far as room goes. Engine room access is outstanding, has room for an air compressor (for tools and air horn) an 8 drawer tool chest and plenty of spares.
The 454's use some fuel, but we travel at mostly displacement speeds. Our biggest issue is finding original information on this boat. It had been though several owners and is un-original in many respects (instrumentation, etc). We'll stay out for a week at a time with no living area or storage issues. If you do pick it up, I'd be interested in some pictures from your boat to compare to ours.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pdxgrl33

1980 Bayliner Bodega

We're considering 1982 40' Bayliner Bodega for Liveaboard - seeking opinions 09 Sep 2016 18:03 #8

• Pdxgrl33
We have purchased the 1982 Bayliner Bodega and our adventure begins. We're excited, but also well aware that we'll have a ton of questions. My thanks to all for their input! Here we go.....

We're considering 1982 40' Bayliner Bodega for Liveaboard - seeking opinions 09 Sep 2016 19:00 #9

• canoel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 674
Congrats!!
Please keep us posted with pictures, likes/dislike etc.
The Bodega was on our short list when we were shopping as well. May even consider one again in the future.

Joel
1987 3818 Hino 175
"Knotty Girl"
Prince Rupert B.C.

We're considering 1982 40' Bayliner Bodega for Liveaboard - seeking opinions 24 Nov 2016 02:07 #10

• bodega
Hi...we have a 1979 Bodega. We (wife and me) are getting ready to leave March 1st to start the Great Loop....5500 miles of intracoastal and inland waterways. Hoping for the best as our longest trip so far was the 350 mile shakedown cruise to get the boat home from the other side of the state where we bought it. We have had it almost 3 years and love it but it is a boat and there is "always something" and still very much a work in progress. We have twin Detroit 6-71s and she is a SLOW lady in the water and fuel consumption is not that bad but don't have flow meter. Lot's of the original boat and lots of mods. Glad to send pics and I have found a few old manuals I can share but no deep dives into inner workings. A few wiring diagrams that are not the best due to copying copies. We are planning to liveaboard once we cross our wake and move out of Miami to someplace further north. Get in touch if you have questions. I have some myself as I am learning on the fly.

We're considering 1982 40' Bayliner Bodega for Liveaboard - seeking opinions 24 Nov 2016 05:43 #11

• Pcpete
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 331
Congratulations and welcome! My brother in law worked at Bayliner in Arlington, WA and he really liked the Bodega. He thought it would be a great boat for us, but we didn't want the flush deck. Consider updating the ignition system on those 454's to electronic and maybe updating the carb and intake manifolds. You may improve reliability and get some fuel burn improvement.
Post pictures, ask questions and most of all enjoy the experience.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jr
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds