Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3870 Live Aboards

3870 Live Aboards 14 Apr 2016 19:25 #1

• Kwood
  • Kwood's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi All. New here and getting ready for the next adventure. I'm actively shopping for a live aboard and intend to purchase in two years unless I find something I can't walk away from sooner. I will purchase in < four years.

I'm in Marblehead, MA. My intention is to do the Great Loop and take either a left or right when I hit Mobile, Al. I have family in both directions and don't intend to be marina bound... Short term leases 3 - 6 months when I need a rest or like the surroundings, then move on.

I've narrowed my search down - somewhat.... but not a lot.

I am intrigued by the 3870 / 3888 w/ Hino naturals. They seem very efficient. They are within my budget, even with some significant survey issues requiring repairs - $30K or so, like decks, etc.

I have been on two on the hard and they seem a little tight quartered. Haven't been on the water in one.

Is anyone here a live aboard on a 3870?

If so I would love to hear what you like and don't like.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3870 Live Aboards 15 Apr 2016 17:28 #2

• canoel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 676
The 3888,3870 and 3818 make the best use of space of any boat under 40-42 feet.
When we were shopping we looked at a lot of boats. The aft cabins will have more interior space, but then you are constantly going up and down stairs. Single handed docking also becomes very difficult.
I think they are the best of both worlds, two full staterooms,upper and lower helms,easy access to the cockpit from lower helm when single handed docking, plus the Hinos are amazing engines. If going slow you will get 3-5 KMPG, this will give you a 600 mile range with half in reserve.
Things I don't like: Table is odd shaped and has to be moved to make up the bed,engine room is tight(however I have seen much worse), boat runs very bow high(this can be remedied with more weight up front and larger trim tabs).

Joel
1987 3818 Hino 175
"Knotty Girl"
Prince Rupert B.C.

3870 Live Aboards 15 Apr 2016 18:00 #3

• Kwood
Thx!

I am concerned with single handed operation. Good to know you find this doable.

How do you find the side decks for bow access?

3870 Live Aboards 15 Apr 2016 18:26 #4

• canoel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 676
The side decks are a very good compromise between width and interior space.

Joel
1987 3818 Hino 175
"Knotty Girl"
Prince Rupert B.C.

3870 Live Aboards 17 Apr 2016 15:24 #5

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 600
For the past 10 years we have lived on our 3870 for about 100 days each summer. All at anchor. Never at a dock overnight. Well the last time was 10 years ago.
We have a large dog and a cat.
At the end of the season I am as comfortable as I was at the start.
We have had a lot of boats in our 60 years of boating including a 46' Chris Craft. This one is perfect for us. The utilizing of space is very good and it even includes a real tub with shower. My wife handles the anchoring and has no problems getting to the bow.
Btw, if you run on one engine at about 6 mph, you will get in excess of 4 MPG.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

3870 Live Aboards 18 Apr 2016 02:00 #6

• Kwood
This is all good information. Thank you. I'm going to have to find one floating and take it all in.

3870 Live Aboards 12 May 2016 22:36 #7

• Cool Beans
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 29
hey-o!

Just to hijack this a bit, those of you who do live on your 38 series yacht's. . .how do you find the salon arrangement as far as comfort? The 38's have most of the things I'm looking for, the big compromise being that I wanted an open layout with real furniture (living on a sailboat now with built in furniture and it's. . .ok :unsure: )

Thanks!

. . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's

3870 Live Aboards 26 Aug 2016 23:42 #8

• LairdsDad
  • Thank you received: 3
Been on my 3870 for three years I find the salon to be adequate I removed the bar and ice maker and have a nice real two seat sofa in its place.

1983 3870
San Diego
130 mits na

3870 Live Aboards 28 Aug 2016 16:17 #9

• Old Man With A Boat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Have a good day
  • Thank you received: 50
I have lived full time on board my 3870 since 2009. I love it! Yes I have made some changes to fit my life style. Floor covering, storage and so on. One of the biggest changes was to mount a eleven and a half foot Sea Doo on the bow, install the crane to use as my tender. Replaced refrigerator with a Whirlpool unit. Love the layout and love the boat.

Just love being on my 3870............Bill
1985 3870
Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
Live on board full time.
North Myrtle Beach, SC

3870 Live Aboards 28 Aug 2016 16:39 #10

• Masterman
  • Thank you received: 16
Can you send me a pic of the two seat sofa in its place, been thinking about doing the same thing.
Thanks

{Living our Dream}
John & Nancy
1988 Bayliner 38
175 Hinos 8.5 kw Westerbeke
Sandy Point Ferndale Washington

3870 Live Aboards 06 Sep 2016 20:47 #11

• RDOIII
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 24

Old Man With A Boat wrote: I have lived full time on board my 3870 since 2009. I love it! Yes I have made some changes to fit my life style. Floor covering, storage and so on. One of the biggest changes was to mount a eleven and a half foot Sea Doo on the bow, install the crane to use as my tender. Replaced refrigerator with a Whirlpool unit. Love the layout and love the boat.

Hello Old Man

Sorry if this is off topic but can you advise which refrigerator you used? Planning to do my in several weeks

Re Living Abroad
We took our 38 to Nova Scotia for 12 weeks - as posted above - were not sick of boat and ready to move on - but work stopped us
Plan to take it on the Great Loop

Re the salon it is fine and very comfortable - plan on redoing the cushions and get some new quality foam - real increase in comfort.

Re single handling it is very accommodating - one thing is the I can stand outside the open starboard window and access the shifters - makes approaching a mooring or anchor spot easy.

Great Boat - and Hinos with no turbo is a a real plus for me.

RDO

3870 Live Aboards 09 Sep 2016 18:37 #12

• bushwood
  • Thank you received: 12
Recycling this thread;

For living aboard the 38', did you plumb it so you had city water or do you monitor your tank?

If plumbed, how and where did you plumb into the boat?

3870 Live Aboards 17 Sep 2016 00:48 #13

• LairdsDad
  • Thank you received: 3
I'll do that as soon as my new iphone is delivered my 6 plus went swimming

1983 3870
San Diego
130 mits na

3870 Live Aboards 17 Sep 2016 19:01 #14

• Old Man With A Boat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Have a good day
  • Thank you received: 50
Hi RDO, I am sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you. The model number of the Whirlpool unit that I put in my boat is ETWSRXM03. It was installed in March of 06. I hope this helps you.

Just love being on my 3870............Bill
1985 3870
Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
Live on board full time.
North Myrtle Beach, SC

3870 Live Aboards 02 Sep 2017 02:05 #15

• Craggles
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all. Just trawling through the threads when I came across this one. After sailing and boating on and off since 12 years old, the kids grew up and we worked our way up to buying a 2008 four year old Bavaria 37 cruiser yacht in 2012. Our plans were to fit extra gear to suit cruising and live aboard and sail up the East Coast of Queensland, Australia as our two grown up daughters lived there. Loved the life and five years more of sailing started thinking of going to a live aboard motor yacht. Also by then, we now had four grandkids. Looking at Bayliner started as my second cousin had a 4518 which I may have got for the right price, then I heard of a 3870 owner I met after he imported a 3870 from the U.S in 2009. His wife, him and their two staffies lived aboard for six years in the marina and same arm where I had a couple of boats moored. (I was the first one to drive the boat out of the marina for driving lessons). Six years later (the boat left the marina five times in six years and had 850 hours on the engines) I heard the 3870 was on the market. Long story short, I ended up buying her, spent a month servicing everything and making her ready for the 600 nautical mile trip north to Townsville. Not a hiccup and I was impressed about everything. Seven months latter I am nearing completion of the refurbishment and within my original budget . It's been a lot of work as I did everything myself.
Anyway I digress, we have been living aboard Manda Lea for seven months and love everything about the 3870. Happy with fuel economy, happy I don't have turbo's on this flybridge cruiser and have had several visitors staying with us for up to a week. The layout is great and privacy is brilliant. Love this boat. I am 59 and retired fourteen months ago so I have plenty of time and experience to undertake 98% of the boat jobs. If we own her long enough that we want to continue the live aboard life and not take her out much, we will simply turn her around and stern into the berth so we can get our wheelie walkers (old people's wheel barrow/stabiliser) onto the duckboard instead of climbing over into the cockpit. ;)
Oops, I forgot to mention an important part!
It was largely due to joining this site to research the Bayliner Motor yachts and information I received from this site that I ended up buying a Bayliner motor yacht. I appreciate it greatly and am happy to add to and help future motor yacht owners with the wealth of information I have compiled since owning Manda Lea. There is no nook or cranny I have not been in or looked in and the only unanswered question I have regarding ML is, "where the anchor well drains to?" I did get messages but there is definitely no drain and I will put an inspection hole in the bow anchor well to give me better access. I have used my video scope, digital camera etc to look but it remains a mystery.

Long list of past boats. Now living aboard Manda Lea, 1987 3870 in Townsville, Qld, Australia. Sailed up here in 2013 aboard my 2008 Bavaria 37 which has now been sold.
Last Edit: by Craggles. Reason: Addition

3870 Live Aboards 02 Sep 2017 18:19 #16

• Mr. Darcy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Love to fish for tuna
  • Thank you received: 171
Just my two cents worth here... If you are by yourself, a 32xx might be worthy of consideration. I live on one 5 to 7 days a week all year round. I like the king size bed in the lower stateroom. It is very comfortable. I use the v-berth forward for storage and the weight there keeps the bow down to easily see from the lower helm station. I personally like the galley in the 32xx a little better than the 38xx. I know a couple of people who have 3888s and commented they like the 32xx galley better with the exception of the fact that the 38xx has a larger fridge. At the dock I use a little electric space heater to stay comfortable most of the time. When it gets down in the 30s there is a Dickinson Alaska diesel heater about three feet aft of the helm chair. The 38xx series are nice. The 32xx are nice too for a single person or a cozy couple. There is a couple that have lived on one in this marina full time for years. I think the 32xx may be a little easier to single hand. The WO4D Hino n/a diesel will likely out live the rest of the boat and maybe even me. Anyway just a thought.

Greg

Newport, Oregon
South Beach Marina
1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years....
Last Edit: by Mr. Darcy.
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jr
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds