Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ?

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 06 Sep 2015 19:41 #1

• JLSBLINER
  • JLSBLINER's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi all,

As a new liveaboard in near future .. I was wondering if you had any newbie tips / lessons learned / or regrets .. to pass on regarding the challenges of newly living aboard in the PNW area ?

Thanks all .. you've all been very helpful ((-:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 06 Sep 2015 22:38 #2

• Old Man With A Boat
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Have a good day
  • Thank you received: 50
Once I started living aboard I realized I needed to spread the electrical load out. After this was done I had no more problems. Three circuits instead of two. A 50amp splitter to two 30amp cables. A third 30amp by itself. I now have three 30amp cables going into the side of my 3870.

Just love being on my 3870............Bill
1985 3870
Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
Live on board full time.
North Myrtle Beach, SC

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 07 Sep 2015 00:24 #3

• NZ 4588
  • Thank you received: 54
It took us a good long while before we tried using the dockside mains water connection on our boat. With water connected directly, you can rest your onboatd fresh water pump and have endless town supply water at the tap.
I was and still am wary that a burst pipe could sink the boat. If we leave her overnight or longer I always disconnect the water connection.

Ian.

Ian & Emma
MV "LaPaloma"
1990 4588
Hauraki Gulf
Auckland
New Zealand

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 07 Sep 2015 02:50 #4

• Old Man With A Boat
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Have a good day
+1Big time on what NZ4588 just posted.

1985 3870
Live on board full time.
North Myrtle Beach, SC

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 07 Sep 2015 04:02 #5

• Dooglas
  • Thank you received: 7
I have lived aboard several boats thru a NW winter. You want to keep the boat warm and dry, so you are comfortable and so it doesn't develop mold or other issues. I don't believe it is practical to operate diesel heat on a constant basis thru the winter. The diesel forced air systems are quite high maintenance if used constantly. That means a propane forced air system (which few boats have), or electric heat well distributed thru the boat. Some boats have a heat pump/air conditioning system which may do the job. Electric heat requires an electrical system which can carry the load. That may mean some rewiring.

2005 Classic 242
5.7L Bravo 2
Portland, OR

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 07 Sep 2015 04:14 #6

• JLSBLINER
I've read about not using land tie up water vs just filling up the tanks once a week .. seems like a good compromise as you described ..

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 08 Sep 2015 04:04 #7

• weiss
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 37
We just moved aboard this month and certainly the biggest issue is power management. With 50 amps at the dock , I split the loads up evenly between the lines but even then we shut off heaters if using the oven etc. We have hydronic diesel heat onboard but hope to use electric with the diesel heat as suppliment for really cold evenings. I have 2 "oil radiator" type heaters that provide even safe heat +the built in electrics { noisy}. also use a de-humidifier but only when we are sleeping or away [ noisy}
Lastly we use the dock water supply for convienience and keep the boat tanks full in the winter for the days when the dock is frozen. I turn the water off when we go away but otherwise its always on. It would suck if a line burst onboard but really the bilge pumps will handle the volume of water { 1/2 inch at 40psi is 6 gpm}... if they are working ;}

Cheers, Gary

Afterglow
Sidney BC
ArbutusCoastYachts.com

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 08 Sep 2015 07:47 #8

• LeePTI
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 151
Check your marina's water pressure. Our was over 100 psi; dangerous for a boat. We have a built in water pressure reducer, but I installed another 40 psi reducer at the hose faucet just in case. We also shut off the dock water every time we leave the dock.

Lee
2007 Meridian 490
2007 Meridian 368
1996 2855 Cierra
1978 Caribbean 26'
Oceanside, CA

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 08 Sep 2015 18:32 #9

• canoel
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 670
We have never fully lived aboard, but have spent winter long weekends onboard.
Electrical load spread out, heat and water.
Some marinas turn the water off in the water as well, so keep that in mind.

Joel
1987 3818 Hino 175
"Knotty Girl"
Prince Rupert B.C.

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 08 Sep 2015 20:48 #10

• JLSBLINER
Could you elaborate on what you mean by "spreading out the load" ? i.e. how do you physically to this ?

Newbie Q1) Do you all have several lines coming off your boat .. connecting to several different receptacles on the dock ?

Q2) did your boat have to be modified for this "spreading out" ?

Thanks all !!

canoel wrote: We have never fully lived aboard, but have spent winter long weekends onboard.
Electrical load spread out, heat and water.
Some marinas turn the water off in the water as well, so keep that in mind.

Last Edit: by JLSBLINER.

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 08 Sep 2015 22:02 #11

• canoel
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Sorry I worded it a little strange.Power management would have been a better choice of words.
An example, at our marina there is mostly 20 amp shore power. So basically we can only run two high draw items at a time. Stove and one heater, or two heaters, or hot water heater and a heater.
It will all depend on your marinas show power service and your boats electrical service/connections.
You can spread the load by running a second line into the boat, and running one or two high draw items off this.

Joel
1987 3818 Hino 175
"Knotty Girl"
Prince Rupert B.C.

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 09 Sep 2015 01:59 #12

• JLSBLINER
For a second line you suggest .. I guess you are talking about plugging into a second electricl receptacle post .. in that case wouldn't the marina then charge you double the electrical rates (if flat per hookup) ?

canoel wrote: Sorry I worded it a little strange.Power management would have been a better choice of words.
An example, at our marina there is mostly 20 amp shore power. So basically we can only run two high draw items at a time. Stove and one heater, or two heaters, or hot water heater and a heater.
It will all depend on your marinas show power service and your boats electrical service/connections.
You can spread the load by running a second line into the boat, and running one or two high draw items off this.

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 09 Sep 2015 02:17 #13

• canoel
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes they would charge you double. That is why diesel heat is a good choice. Propane stove and oven.
But all of this depends on what boat you buy. Some boats will have 50 amp, and many marinas will as well.

Joel
1987 3818 Hino 175
"Knotty Girl"
Prince Rupert B.C.

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 09 Sep 2015 02:59 #14

• JLSBLINER
The marinas I'm looking at offer both 50 and 30 amp service .. I suppose one would try 30 amp for awhile first .. i.e. to see if that suffices over a PNW winter.

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 09 Sep 2015 03:09 #15

• canoel
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
30 amp will be ok if you have diesel heat. It all depends on the size of the boat, as well as how well insulated it is.

Joel
1987 3818 Hino 175
"Knotty Girl"
Prince Rupert B.C.

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 09 Sep 2015 03:54 #16

• Old Man With A Boat
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Have a good day
JLSBLINER , my marina charges me for the power used, not the number of cable's used. That is why I use a 50amp splitter with two 30amp cables going to the boat. And another 30amp cable going to the boat this means there are three 30amp cable's going to the boat. Cable's 1&2 go to the two main panels and the 3rd cable goes to a 3rd panel that I installed. This aloud me to take 4 lines off of panels 1&2 and put them on panel 3. With this setup I can run most all the electronic items I need at one time and not have a real high current draw on any panel. If your marina charges by the cable then this could be a problem. Since I have the same number of electrical items that I had when I only had cables 1&2, I am not using anymore electrical current. I hope this makes since.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JLSBLINER

1985 3870
Live on board full time.
North Myrtle Beach, SC

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 09 Sep 2015 05:18 #17

• The Other Gary
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 128
Power handling seems to be pretty well handled here. I have a 50/125/250 system so I have 100 amps available nicely balanced.
Put an inch of foam house sheathing under your mattress so the cold does not come through and cause condensation under the mattress.
The BIG item is get rid of your stuff in a land storage locker before you realize that you have paid more for storage than the stuff is worth.

14 years living aboard and still loving it.

"Adios Dinero"
1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 25 Sep 2015 07:09 #18

• Peter W
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 25

NZ 4588 wrote: It took us a good long while before we tried using the dockside mains water connection on our boat. With water connected directly, you can rest your onboatd fresh water pump and have endless town supply water at the tap.
I was and still am wary that a burst pipe could sink the boat. If we leave her overnight or longer I always disconnect the water connection.

Ian.

Ian, I was under the belief that the connection included a pressure reduction valve.

Peter W
"Sajesar" MY 3988
RQYS - Marina, Manly
Brisbane, Australia

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 25 Sep 2015 08:25 #19

• NZ 4588
  • Thank you received: 54

Peter W wrote:

NZ 4588 wrote: It took us a good long while before we tried using the dockside mains water connection on our boat. With water connected directly, you can rest your onboatd fresh water pump and have endless town supply water at the tap.

Ian.

Ian, I was under the belief that the connection included a pressure reduction valve.

Hi Peter,

Yes you are correct however if you were unfortunate enough to burst a pipe inside your boat the water flow would be substantial.
Through the reducer valve the water pressure on board is very similar to what we have with our own pump. We also have a pressure limiting valve at our dockside tap to protect the connecting hose.
We're quite comfortable with using the system now but just take the precaution of shutting it off if leaving the boat overnight or longer.

Regards, Ian B)

Ian & Emma
MV "LaPaloma"
1990 4588
Hauraki Gulf
Auckland
New Zealand

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 25 Sep 2015 08:35 #20

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
I haven't put a direct city/dock water inlet on my boat yet, but I would treat it the same way as I have our RV city water inlet. I usually don't use it, but if I do, I shut it off after dinner, also when we're away from the RV. True, the RV won't sink, but it can suffer a helluva lot of water damage. One thing I will install on the boat, that I learned from the RV world, is an accumulator tank. legacy.shurflo.com/pages/Food_Service/be...tor_tanks/tanks.html

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 25 Sep 2015 08:37 #21

• Chas
  • Thank you received: 3
I have my water hook up where I can turn it off and on with a press reducer. I as most boat do a pressure bladder I turn my water on fill the water lines and bladder then shut the water off. I have plenty of water for a while. The only tanks I use on my boat is waste and fuel and most of the time I go to the nice clean bath house.

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 25 Sep 2015 08:47 #22

• Chas
  • Thank you received: 3
I use one 30 amp cable in the summer and two 30 amp cables in the winter. A fellow told me he had a connection on his boat that when his line went open a check value shut the water off but I have not been able to find one.

Last Edit: by Chas.

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 26 Sep 2015 00:08 #23

• Peter W
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 25

NZ 4588 wrote:

Peter W wrote:

Ian.

Hi Peter,

Yes you are correct however if you were unfortunate enough to burst a pipe inside your boat the water flow would be substantial.
Through the reducer valve the water pressure on board is very similar to what we have with our own pump. We also have a pressure limiting valve at our dockside tap to protect the connecting hose.
We're quite comfortable with using the system now but just take the precaution of shutting it off if leaving the boat overnight or longer.

Regards, Ian B)

Well and truly understood Ian and Jeff.

Peter W
"Sajesar" MY 3988
RQYS - Marina, Manly
Brisbane, Australia

early days of liveaboard - lessons or regrets ? 22 Dec 2016 18:30 #24

• Tdinger
  • Thank you received: 2
We too are new to the live aboard lifestyle, this is our first winter aboard, we also are in the Pacific Northwest. The one biggest issue we've found is keeping a handle on the humidity. Consider strategically placing small, 3 inch or so, 12 volt computer fans around your lesser-used areas of the boat to keep airflow moving and humidity to a minimum... I would definitely reinforced previous comments regarding moisture on the bottom of your mattress. Home Depot or Lowe's has a pink insulation wall board material that seems to have taken care of our issue perfectly....
As far as power management, we too have had a large learning curve when it comes to how best to heat the boat verses other electrical uses. You will get very good at shutting off something to run something else. I guess it is just part of the adventure.

Regards, Todd

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jr
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds