Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 31 Jan 2015 23:26 #1

• Wort123
  • Wort123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 11
I'm starting to think seriously about what living aboard our 4788 will be like. How much power do we need? How long on genset (12.5 Westerbeke). Would solar do it, how much battery capacity? Wind generator? Replace center console RIB with something rowable? What does a week or a month on the hook in the Bahamas look like? What does it take? Do I need a second (larger?) anchor?
I like to think we'll be cruising the Chesapeake and perhaps to Mobile then up river to Florence, AL. Maybe a Winter in the Bahamas. Florida and the East Coast. Maybe up to Maine, or Hudson to Canada. What do I need to know and what can I look for help with. So much to learn!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Steve & Cary Sober
Woodstock, VA
SURPRISE
2000 Bayliner 4788
Cummins 370's
Achilles 350DX with Eurohelm and 20HP Tohatsu
Kent Island, MD

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 01 Feb 2015 01:10 #2

• ksanders
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 230
If you do not anchor off much, first step is to disconnect that shore power cord and see just how much power your boat needs.

I don't know if I'd replace your RIB. I'm not sure why you'd do that.

I would buy a watermaker though.

Waste is another issue. What are the rules? Is now a good time to invest in a waste treatment system?

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com
Last Edit: by ksanders.

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 01 Feb 2015 01:37 #3

• Wort123
My major issue with the RIB is that it really can't be rowed. It's also maxing out the lift system and I have no idea what I'd do if the winch failed while hauling or launching. It seems like overkill, but then I'm only familiair with anchoring in the Chesapeake Bay. We need to get our dog ashore daily...

Steve & Cary Sober
Woodstock, VA
SURPRISE
2000 Bayliner 4788
Cummins 370's
Kent Island, MD

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 01 Feb 2015 01:58 #4

• kwb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 87
Rowing is overrated but if you feel like you need to get the juices flowing a bit, get a kayak or a small rowing dink to mount on swimstep.

In event of davit failure - either tow the RIB until you get it fixed or leave it on deck and use your rowable thing to get ashore. You could also carry a come-along as a backup or block and tackle.

The 4788 has a 750# capacity and its not all that hard to stay under that mark with RIB selections.

I will say if you are looking to liveaboard and travel the range that you mention these are the little things in a lot bigger picture that will need preparation for.

I would not do wind generator - noisy as a well installed genset. Solar seems like a better option but to get the area you need will involve adding a hardtop over the bridge.

If I really was going to live aboard (and not have a traditional homeport) I would really think about if a dog has a place in that lifestyle.

1989 3888
Nobody gets out alive.

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 01 Feb 2015 02:09 #5

• ksanders
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Your dog will be fine. We boat with four dogs and take them to shore a minimum of four times a day.

Your skiff will be fine. Make sure your davit works properly and you'll be good to go.

Wintering in the Bahamas does not mean you are going to be trapped on your boat for several months. You are probably going to be spending quite a bit of time ashore walking along the beache, hiking, etc...

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 01 Feb 2015 09:44 #6

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
The dog will adapt easier than you do. I am confident that my 70 lb. Chocolate Lab would learn to do her business on the swimstep if necessary. She already knows how to go (almost) on command when we stop in rest areas with the RV. Grass, dirt, sand, rocks, pavement...

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 01 Feb 2015 13:11 #7

• robster_in_edmonds
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 241
Spend a hot week living on the 4788 this summer. Monitor your batteries and electric consumption. Assuming you run AC when it is hot ( it is hot and humid in Florida and the Bahamas) I don"t think solar will keep up with that. Trade your dink for a rowable skiff for a week and see if you like it.

When we retire we hope to spend four months a year on our 4788 each summer in the PNW. No AC. I figure we will be running the genset every other day to keep the batteries topped up. We have a watermaker that came with the boat, but we have not used it yet. Read some blogs by people that live aboard. I think you will learn a lot.

Rob Meldrum
Commodore, Edmonds Yacht Club (2014-2015)
"Miss Maui" * 1997 Bayliner 4788 * Cummins 330s

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 01 Feb 2015 13:51 #8

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 962
"Read some blogs by people that live aboard. I think you will learn a lot. "

+1 to Rob - best advice you can get.

Especially if considering the Bahamas as you really need to know where best to go and the deal with water and fuel in the areas you will be traveling. There are many blogs out there with folks currently doing this same thing.

Good luck and hope this helps

Northport NY

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 10 Apr 2015 20:40 #9

• Wort123
Living and learning! Thanks for the input.

Steve & Cary Sober
Woodstock, VA
SURPRISE
2000 Bayliner 4788
Cummins 370's
Kent Island, MD

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 30 Apr 2015 18:02 #10

• pilotpj
  • Thank you received: 0
I currently live aboard in the PNW. The boat is very hard to heat, but not much concern for you. I also cruised in Mexico for a year. Almost no one used a rowing dink. Your dink becomes your car and you will use it often. You will not even take it out of the water unless you move the mother ship a long distance.
You should plan on running your genset a lot more than once every other day. I would guess much more like an hour or two a day. Watermakers are a nice addition as hauling water can be a real pain. They need to be maintained, but its not too bad.

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 09 Jun 2016 15:36 #11

• pilotpj
  • Thank you received: 0
yes, one hour, twice a day on genset is normal

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 30 Aug 2016 18:26 #12

• JLSBLINER
  • Thank you received: 8

pilotpj wrote: yes, one hour, twice a day on genset is normal

How costly is that on average ? am I to presume the gensets burn diesel ?

thanks.

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 30 Aug 2016 19:14 #13

• Wort123
At anchor we run the genset twice a day for two hours. That's about 6 gallons of diesel, say $15?

Steve & Cary Sober
Woodstock, VA
SURPRISE
2000 Bayliner 4788
Cummins 370's
Kent Island, MD
Last Edit: by Wort123.

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 20 Feb 2017 13:52 #14

• kspellman02
  • Bayliner 4788, Leopard 40, Bayliner 3988
  • Thank you received: 3
We just came off of our catamaran in the Caribbean and are looking at a 4788 as a livaboard here in FL and the Bahamas. Our two years on the cat in the USVi, BVI and south taught us that:
1. The dog will adapt
2. You will need the Rib for trips to town for groceries and more...speed and power is helpful, especially when windy.
3. Air conditioning is a huge asset. Keeps you cool but also takes moisture out of the air...think damp clothes, mold, etc.
4. Solar, as much as you can, with a large battery bank (we had 630ah, AGM) is a help to minimize generator running time.
5. Water maker is a nice option but you will need the generator to run it.
6. Bigger anchor and more chain helps you sleep better at night.
7. Gas and diesel run about 5-6 $ per gallon in the islands.
8. Beer is hugely expensive down-island...stock lots!!

See you down there
Kevin
Soon to be 4788 owner

We have No Plan and we're sticking to it...,

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 22 Feb 2017 04:06 #15

• Alan Teed
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 99
You are heading to warm water. We lived on our monohull sailboat for just under 4 years, the first 6 months in the Caribbean, then in the Med (also warm water).

Although we were on a sailboat, the liveability issues are similar.

As others have said, you definitely need a good RIB with a decent motor. If you like rowing get another lightweight dink or kayak for rowing/paddling when you feel like it. Rather like having a car but also a bike at your house. You will likely get used to living without A/C, using the breeze for ventilation with some vent sails/directors on hatches as needed. Yes you will want a second, and a third anchor. Two on the bow and one ready in the aft cockpit or aft lazarettes for stern. We had a Spade and a plough up front and a Danforth hi tensile aft. You will want rode for each of these, probably rope or flat line for the stern anchor.

You will be buying water by the gallon, so for flexibility and arguably price you will want a watermaker, which you will use while charging/running. However solar has come a long way since we evaluated it in 2005 (we did not go that route) and would think a good solar array would be well worth the price to reduce genset hours. I agree with others that Wind gen is an irritant on board, sailed a friends boat from Chesapeake to Virgin Gorda and the wind gen drove me nuts.

Waste: Once you leave the continental USA you will open the Y valve and discharge overboard everywhere. Exceptions in lakes and Turkey but that is not of consequence to you.

Remember that you can only practically use about 35-50% of your battery bank. We had over 1k AH and appreciated that reserve.

How will you get your daily Wx reports? You will want SSB or Satellite. We used both and actually preferred SSB for our Wx reports and daily radio net with fellow cruisers.

You will likely want a haulout destination for the Hurricane Season. Virgin Gorda has in-ground storage which we have used year after year with great results.

Have fun!

Alan Teed
MOONDANCE
'94 4788
Gig Harbor, WA
Previously:
2006 Hylas 49' blowboat
Bayliner 2855
1977 Cal 34' blowboat
1981 Hunter 33' blowboat
Experience: Sail 50 years, Motor 15 years. 2 Transats, 1 Baltimore-Virgin Islands, 6 Months cruising Caribbean, 3-5 years cruising Med.

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 11 Aug 2017 11:08 #16

• Wort123
Well, here we are, a few years later and plans are forming to spend the Winter in the South somewhere. We're thinking Myrtle Beach or further South, so we're looking for suggestions. I don't think we'll go to the Bahamas and we're not sure about the Loop. BOC has been witness to our preparations, updates and replacements so I thought some of you might be interested in where we are in the process.

Steve & Cary Sober
Woodstock, VA
SURPRISE
2000 Bayliner 4788
Cummins 370's
Kent Island, MD

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 11 Aug 2017 16:01 #17

• ksanders
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Good luck with your plans!

The 4788 is a great liveaboard platform.

I have similar asperations for our 4788, abet on the west coast.
The (current) plan is to keep our house on the lake in Alaska, and use the boat as a portable snowbird home.

Dont know how that will work out for a few years until retirement.
Honestly, the competition is to do the same thing in a land RV, or buy a snowbird home somewhere.

The challenge is a land based RV is smaller, but since you can just step outside it is easier in some ways.
A snowbird home is full size, and you just step into it, but it "traps" you to that location. Easy peasy for the dogs though.

The same $$ in the 4788 would buy a nice snowbird home. Slip fees and insurance make costs of a home Vs boat pretty much awash.

RV'ing would save $$$ but we've never done it. I much prefer the idea of a dock to a crowded RV park. Dock life means that your slip mates will probably not be there 100% of the time. RV park means that there will be a neighbor REALLY CLOSE 100% of the time.

Anyway best of luck in your plans!!!

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 11 Aug 2017 16:22 #18

• Jim Gandee
  • Retired Fireman, Los Angeles
  • Thank you received: 177
One huge aspect of living aboard while also traveling, especially to remote area, that hasn't been discussed, at least in this thread, is outfitting the boat. Spare parts, tools and the ability to repair all the systems on the boat is critical to successful long distance cruising!

Jim Gandee
1989 3888
Hino 175's
Fire Escape
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 11 Aug 2017 16:27 #19

• ksanders
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Jim Gandee wrote: One huge aspect of living aboard while also traveling, especially to remote area, that hasn't been discussed, at least in this thread, is outfitting the boat. Spare parts, tools and the ability to repair all the systems on the boat is critical to successful long distance cruising!

Absolutely Jim

That is why I think that it is best to buy your boat early and spend time on it while you are still working. That will allow you to outfit the boat for your needs and cruising habits. You will also learn the systems and have time to build a spare parts stash.

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 11 Aug 2017 17:13 #20

• Old Man With A Boat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Have a good day
  • Thank you received: 50
You will love it. I am a live aboard in north myrtle beach South Carolina. It is a great place to be on a boat. The summers are a little warm but the winners are not bad. There are a lot of marinas available. The monthly rate is very reasonable for this area . If you decide to come this way give me a shout. Becky and I would love to hear from you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wort123

Just love being on my 3870............Bill
1985 3870
Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
Live on board full time.
North Myrtle Beach, SC

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 12 Aug 2017 18:48 #21

• Wort123
We're looking for recommendations for marinas in South Carolina/Georgia.

Steve & Cary Sober
Woodstock, VA
SURPRISE
2000 Bayliner 4788
Cummins 370's
Kent Island, MD

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 16 Aug 2017 15:31 #22

• Wort123
Bill, we are seriously looking at marinas in SC. Osprey, just south of Myrtle Beach looks great but I'm curious about where you are because it looks like you're next to a good grassy strip for dog. We will probably drive down soon for a look there and at a few other places, maybe as far south as Savannah. Would love to hear from you about your experience.

Steve & Cary Sober
Woodstock, VA
SURPRISE
2000 Bayliner 4788
Cummins 370's
Kent Island, MD

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To 16 Aug 2017 19:38 #23

• Old Man With A Boat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Have a good day
  • Thank you received: 50
Yes there is plenty of grassy areas around Dock Holiday Marina. The only problem you may have is all of the slips are privately owned. A large number of the owners rent there slips out. I am renting mine. There are some slips available for rent by the month. There is a lot of shopping and eating facilities in this area. If you need one there is a West Marine in walking distance. For most needs I do not have to go far from my boat.

Just love being on my 3870............Bill
1985 3870
Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
Live on board full time.
North Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jr
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds