Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been?

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 07 Jan 2013 14:15 #1

• Foster
  • Foster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "Quo Vadimus" 1993 4588
  • Thank you received: 166
For a lack of a better place to put this since 17's to 55's can do the loop, I thought I'd start a series of loop threads. It's like advanced living aboard. It's 250 days of planning ahead, dealing with issues and being able to make them work out with minimal issues.

First in the list is "have you been?" Are you planning to go soon?

We are in the planning stage of departing May and returning in December from the Eastern Shore of MD. We'd like to be in SC for a family TDay, but that is pretty fuzzy, so no set aspect that way.

I have a sister that lives just off the Erie in Rochester, so its "go west" to see her then back up to the lake since the 45 won't clear the bridge farther on.

We'd like to pin in some locals on the way (Sorry JeffW, too far west to see you) but maybe match names to faces to boats.

So in this first thread, tell us about your trip or your near term plan (even if it's part of the loop)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Technomadia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Yep, my Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 09 Jan 2013 17:47 #2

• capt. ron
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 25
I've enjoyed boating on the Mississippi, been north to the quad cities & south to dardenne slough area. Planning another trip north this year but starting to think instead go farther south to the Tennessee river. Another trip I'ld like is up the Illinois river to Chicago & Lake Michigan. Eventually I'ld like to go down the Mississippi to Memphis & maybe farther south. The problem is lack of marinas on the lower Mississippi, also at this time lack of water. If I was you I'ld stay south till spring instead of going back home in December, maybe leave the boat & go home for the holidays.

Capt. Ron.
"I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
"Never Trade Luck For Skill"
1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
Hino EH700
Westerbeke 8.0
1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 09 Jan 2013 21:20 #3

• ronlord
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Capt Ron

We live in Buffalo and there are at least 2 47's here that do the western Erie all the time. If you can remove your radar from your arch you should be able to clear all the bridges. You will have at least 15.5' clearance on all the bridges and most are in the 16-17' range.

We hope to do the loop in a few years in our Mainship trawler, so far we have done the entire Erie and south to NYC as well as north to Lake Champlain.

Ping me if you need info on the western end of the Erie or Buffalo area. Would be happy to show you around this summer if you make it past Rochester. By the way, the lowest bridge on the Erie is well east of Rochester in Clyde, NY. So if you are planning on going to Rochester, you will need to clear the low bridges.

-Ron

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 08 Feb 2013 22:21 #4

• Spitfire
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
We are up in the North Channel of Georgian Bay (a major destination for Loopers)...Little Current to be exact. Will keep an eye out for you if you let us know via this thread that you are getting close.

Marc
1992 3288 "Spitfire" with twin 5.8L inboards
1988 17ft Century "L'll Spitfire" with single 2.5LMercruiser

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 08 Feb 2013 22:55 #5

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 601

Spitfire;754807 wrote: We are up in the North Channel of Georgian Bay (a major destination for Loopers)...Little Current to be exact. Will keep an eye out for you if you let us know via this thread that you are getting close.

We boat the same area. Most I have talked with who have done the Loop say this area is the best part of the trip. Plan to spend as much time as possible in the area. You will not be disappointed. July and August are the best months and still allow time to get out of the Great lakes before weather gets uncomfortable.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 24 Nov 2016 03:51 #6

• bodega
Hi...we are going to start the loop around March 1st from Miami. Other than a 350 mile trip to bring the boat home after the purchase we a basically local boater in south Florida. The loop will certainly be an adventure for us. Boating is easy down here with little current or tides to deal with! Still have lots to do to get the boat ready for safe and comfortable looping. Only have a few planned stops in FL, GA and SC along the way. Other than that we are flexible and just going to enjoy the ride. Maybe we will run into each other along the way and we would love to hear about the attractions in your area.

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 24 Nov 2016 12:34 #7

• Foster
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Plan to spend as much time as you can in Canada, it was the best part of our trip. I'm in the upper Chesapeake on the Bohemia river, let me know when you are going to be close.

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 24 Nov 2016 14:14 #8

• bodega
The Canadian leg does sound great especially only having the Florida boating experience as our reference. I would like to throw this out there to this group and probably should throw it out to the AGLCA bloggers as well...I never hear much about fishing while looping and the ins and outs of out-of-towners fishing in another's waters. I assume it is state by state licensing and enforcement. In most places it would just be throwing a line out while at anchor but in others we would like to spend some time fishing. Would love to hear someone speak to that.

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 24 Nov 2016 18:19 #9

• Foster
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
We got licenses for Canada and the Admiral got licenses for states we were going to be in awhile. (She into fishing, I'm into catching)

Our mode was at every place we stopped to ask the local people where to go. Lots of great people gave us locations and what bait/lure to fish with. In a few cases we got the location and was given a lure to try. In most cases we had to pinky-swear we wouldn't tell anyone. :whistle:

qvmarine.com/general/fish-tales/

qvmarine.com/uncategorized/fish-tales-redux/

We were never disappointed with the spots we were given. I even learned how to troll on the 4588, use only one engine at idle and to troll off the non-running side. She caught a few that way.

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 27 Nov 2016 01:53 #10

• mergansergbyc
  • Thank you received: 3
Doing the loop I know a couple of boaters who have done it. Unfortunately I am not one. There is a site/membership (FREE) that you need to get yourself involved with . Active Captain. Check out the website for yourself. Here is the link: activecaptain.com/X.php

Have a great trip.

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 27 Nov 2016 16:04 #11

• Dadrock33
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • SE of York, PA
  • Thank you received: 71
+1 on the Active Captain information and website . . .. definitely the best program / app / website (besides this one!!) that I have ever found . . . should be a mandatory add-on for everyone as it uses crowd sourcing information to make it the best . . . :woohoo:

we might like to try the Loop too but need a bigger boat than what we have now. . . . we'll be living aboard at that time too.

1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
James H. Stradling
Last Edit: by Dadrock33.

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 15 Dec 2016 02:02 #12

• Francesca
We did the Loop from October 2013 to August 2014. Many took more time but we did everything we wanted. And it was a great trip. In 2015 we left Starved Rock Marina to head down the Illinois to the Miss. We cruised the Miss up to M-SP and then to NOLA. Don't be afraid of the Lower Miss. I guess you want to make sure you can make 500 miles. We have a 3988 and not had any problems we didn't cause ourselves. (bent prop). The stop a Greeville MS was great. They only charged us $25 a night and the fuel was just like other marinas.

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 21 Dec 2016 12:53 #13

• Checks Five-Oh
  • Thank you received: 4
Would love to know more about your loop experience with the 3988. We are in the early stages of planning from Newfoundland. Did you create a blog by chance?

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 18 Jan 2017 21:32 #14

• oldcrow
  • Thank you received: 17
we plan on starting the loop this july (2017) starting from Midland in georgian bay have been boating this are for 40 years,need a change We have a 1984 3870
called Crow's Nest.

1984 3870 bayliner

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 18 Jan 2017 22:32 #15

• Foster
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
That will be a great boat!! If you haven't joined yet, sign up for the America's Great Loop Cruising Association. When you get to the Northern Chesapeake in Spring 2018 let me know, we host lots of Loopers every year.

(Slightly jealous of your home waters, we loved the Canada part of the Loop the best)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Technomadia

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 18 Jan 2017 22:51 #16

• Terry J
  • Thank you received: 25

oldcrow wrote: we plan on starting the loop this july (2017) starting from Midland in georgian bay have been boating this are for 40 years,need a change We have a 1984 3870
called Crow's Nest.

Are you out of Bay Moorings ? Green trim with an extension ? We had our small boat there for the winter, saw yours on the hard. I think someone said you have BMW diesels ?

Terry

1982 3270
Volvo BB 140 A's
MS 3 trannys

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 19 Jan 2017 02:02 #17

• oldcrow
  • Thank you received: 17
yes that was me.we are in wabashene for the winter.we live in Barrie

1984 3870 bayliner

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 13 Mar 2017 03:23 #18

• Technomadia
  • Thank you received: 6
We are gearing up to spend the next several years slowly working our way around the loop in our newly purchased 4788, spending the other half of each year living in our vintage bus conversion.

We blogged about our general plans here .

We are in Punta Gorda, FL now for at least the next month (we just picked up the boat Friday and have a LOT to learn!) - and we probably will be in FL for many months after, maybe starting with the Little Loop through the Okeechobee and down to the Keys.

It would be awesome to meet up with some other BOC members as we travel. If you see us in your area, reach out and say hi.

Cheers all!

- Chris

Chris & Cherie - www.technomadia.com
"Y-Not" - 1999 Bayliner 4788
"Zephyr" - 1961 GM PD4106 Vintage Bus RV Conversion

Full-Time nomads since 2006.
Now intending to spend half the year slowly doing the Great Loop in our 4788!

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 06 May 2017 21:37 #19

• Checks Five-Oh
Hi Chris,

Just checking in to see how the trip is going so far, or have you started?

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 09 May 2017 21:04 #20

• Technomadia
Indeed we have started - we've made it from Punta Gorda, FL to Ft. Myers so far - 48.8nm.

We'll have a blog post up soon detailing the first leg of our trip.

So far we are loving boat life!

Cheers,

- Chris

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 10 May 2017 01:27 #21

• Checks Five-Oh
Glad to hear it. We are still two years away, but really looking forward to it.

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 13 May 2017 01:04 #22

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 383

Technomadia wrote: Indeed we have started - we've made it from Punta Gorda, FL to Ft. Myers so far - 48.8nm.

We'll have a blog post up soon detailing the first leg of our trip.

So far we are loving boat life!

Cheers,

- Chris

Are you going to cut across thru Lake Okeechobee or go down thru the keys?
I'm curious how long it is to get across. I just bought a canal house in Cape Coral and plan to cruise to the Bahamas frequently for scuba adventures. First, must find boat!

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been? 13 May 2017 14:32 #23

• Technomadia

green650 wrote: Are you going to cut across thru Lake Okeechobee or go down thru the keys?!

If the lake levels are high enough, we'll be aiming to do Lake Okeechobee. I think we'll spend 4-5 days crossing, but I haven't worked out the trip planning yet.

Cheers,

- Chris.

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jr
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds