Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Liveaboards

Liveaboards 28 Jun 2013 15:47 #26

• completelymobile
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 17

Scary;629638 wrote: I am just finishing my first year aboard as well. I have two boats. A 4788 and a 48 Hatteras LRC. My Daughters live full time aboard my 47 in Alameda Ca, I am currently on my Hatteras in Walnut Grove in the Ca Delta. At this time I have no plans to go back. I miss my shop and the short walk from the garage to the kitchen with groceries. But that's it. Waking up and being on the water, having coffee as the morning mist rises from the water or the sound of trolling motors at dawn as your alarm clock, weird as that sounds, running to the grocery store in my dingy, all of these things make me wonder if I'm living a dream. Fortunately I had the fore sight to build a rolling shop in a 26" trailer and that has allowed me to continue working with my hands.

I like the rolling shop idea .... please let us know what it is ie: trailer, motor home etc. Did you have to make special arrangements with your marina?

In the early 90's I lived aboard my at the time 44' Pacemaker and at the time had a class A motor home for my business but it was filled with samples for my sales business so no shop opportunity and always had issues parking at the marina but I'm sure this varies depending on the marina management.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1994 4788

Liveaboards 18 Aug 2013 04:15 #27

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 46
I am about to embark!
I have a purchase agreement closing Sept.9 and I will be moving aboard a 4788.
I don't have much stuff to worry about between the house fire and the divorce.
What little I have left is in a 14' enclosed trailer, basically my bike and my tools.
My biggest concern is finding the right marina. Between waiting lists and zoning restrictions...
I found one I like, they have room for me sorta...they have these boat houses, fabric covered...
She wants to park me next to a blue wall.
Okay, imagine a house in the city, you look out the window, you see is the brick wall of your neighbour's house.
I go to the trouble of moving to paradise, buy the big boat, I look out to see 30' high wall of blue fabric!
Surrounded by ocean and mountains, and I see a blue wall.
Guess that's just a part of life sometimes, compromises.

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
Maple Bay, Vancouver Island
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:
www.baylinerownersclub.org/~bayline1/ind...ics-and-a-video-link

Liveaboards 19 Aug 2013 04:35 #28

• ksanders
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 234
Are you set as to location.? Do you need to commute somewhere?

Cap Sante in Anacortes is now liveaboards

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com

Liveaboards 19 Aug 2013 20:19 #29

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

ksanders;803999 wrote: Are you set as to location.? Do you need to commute somewhere?

Cap Sante in Anacortes is now liveaboards

Thanks Kevin, but...While I am not set on a location, I think I might want to stay on Canadian soil, specifically on the big island.
I could stay at Ladysmith, for a month at a time, because they do not officially allow live-aboards.
Maple Bay told me they have a spot (next to the blue wall) but first I have to be approved by the General Manager?
There are other options out there I have yet to check on, but the list is short.
David.

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:

Liveaboards 28 Aug 2013 03:15 #30

• Jerms
  • Thank you received: 2
Have been living aboard a 96' Tug boat for almost a year now with my girlfriend and our dog in Juneau Alaska. Sound like a lot of space, but we only occupy one of the staterooms, with is about 95 square feet. Including head and full bath/shower. Yesterday we bought a 1980 26' Explorer to live on while we work on it to get it sea worthy. This is our first time owning a boat and while it is in some rough shape it is floating, so I suppose that is a start. With no longer paying rent and just moorage and electrical we plan on having this repowered within a year. I will have many many questions I am sure, so thank you in advance for putting up with my ignorance. Cheers.

1979 25' Saratoga Mercruiser 350.
1980 26' Explorer. Live aboard. Re-power next year.
Still learning, please excuse my ignorance. Cheers!

Liveaboards 03 Sep 2013 17:24 #31

• Darky
  • Thank you received: 0
I am thinking on putting the non esential furniture and things like the 55 in TVs and leather sofas into storage for a year and move aboard my 3870 here in richmond ,PNW,Canada ....I can see 2 months of cooler weather when the water may be turned off, guess I will be packing containers then to fill tanks ......Am I absolutely loony ?

1986 3870
175hp Himos
8.5 kw westerbeke

Liveaboards 04 Sep 2013 00:01 #32

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I hope not.
I just pulled up stakes in Ontario, left everyone and everything I ever known to pursue the dream.
I bought a 4788, parked it in Maple Bay and expect to be comfortable year round.
I have a Hurricane Hydronic furnace which should help, but you would know better than me what to expect from the weather.

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:

Liveaboards 22 Nov 2013 15:41 #33

• TonyB
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Retired and Full-Time Inland Cruiser
  • Thank you received: 9
We have been living aboard full time since around 1998 and do not foresee ourselves returning to dirt dwelling.
Started out on a Catalina 25 sailboat with a pop top (very small) then worked our way up to a 30 Catalina and then a 39 Allied ketch rigged sailboat. Last year we crossed over to 'the dark side' and went power. We purchased a 1986 Mainship 36. Aft Cabin model which we are currently living aboard. This is our final boat #3. Hurricane Katrina took away final boat #1. Age and GF's declining health moved us off of final boat #2 and now on our present boat which of course will be our final one. We have been working on it for the past year or so and are finally ready to go full-time cruising on the eastern Inland Waterways. We only missed our date by 10 months. Hopefully we will be starting in 2 weeks. Winter time will be a slow cruise due to weather - mainly fog.
Just spent a week in the yard and here is a photo - just before splashing.

]

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Recently travelled 1200 miles from Galveston Bay, Tx. to NE Alabama. Currently on Tennessee River

Mainship 36 DC (1986)

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Liveaboards 25 Sep 2015 05:57 #34

• Chas
  • Thank you received: 3
Where do you live I was in Alaska Fairbanks and people lived on there boats year round behind the base. I have a 32,55 Avanti me and my dog live on in southern IL we have bad winters lot of power outages. My boat is a 1988 There is always something to tinker with, I have a 58 ft trailer to pull my boat out for repairs if need to I can fish off the stearn 30 minutes got a mess of fish for what ever meal Got there cafes in walking distance Got the marina bull table Some body to or some body to help you It is a small town in it self.

Liveaboards 20 Feb 2017 14:03 #35

• kspellman02
  • Bayliner 4788, Leopard 40, Bayliner 3988
  • Thank you received: 3
We have lived aboard our sailing catamaran in the windwards and leewards for two years and are now converting to a 4788. We plan to base in FL and cruise the ICW, Bahamas and possibly Cuba. We think the 45/4788s have great layouts for living aboard. We'll post on the adaptions we make that improve the experience. Sell your stuff, buy a boat, sail away!

Kevin
Soon to be 4788 Owner

We have No Plan and we're sticking to it...,

Liveaboards 14 Aug 2017 11:46 #36

• Wort123
  • Thank you received: 11
Help us find a marina for the Winter.
We have been slowly increasing the amount of time we spend aboard. Three weeks each month April-June. We've been looking after my mom (who jut passed away at 97 after an incredible life married to a career diplomat) and have never had the freedom to stay longer. I am ready to ditch the house but Cary needs a little land time.
We are looking for a marina somewhere in SC, GA, or FL, for the Winter. Ideally it would allow us to dock alongside with a view away from the marina. A grassy strip next to the boat would be ideal for the dog. A diverse community with ethnic restaurants and shopping not too far, water, wi-fi, 30 and 50 amp, with pump out at the boat. An area with wildlife refuge and lots of dinghy exploration possibilities. We prefer quiet places that younger partiers aren't too interested in. Can we find all of this?

Steve & Cary Sober
Woodstock, VA
SURPRISE
2000 Bayliner 4788
Cummins 370's
Achilles 350DX with Eurohelm and 20HP Tohatsu
Kent Island, MD
Last Edit: by Wort123.

Liveaboards 14 Aug 2017 12:43 #37

• Papa Charlie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 165
Good luck in your search. We have been living aboard our 4588 for many years now. I would highly recommend that you don't settle for anything less than 50 amps, even better would be a 50 and a 30 amp. These boats are pigs when it comes to electricity, especially in the winter time. Yes the diesel heaters work but when microwaves (17-20amps), heaters (7-9 amps each), hot water heaters (9.5 amps each we have two), battery charger, hair blowers, and lights, 30 amps is a joke. We call it the 30 amp two step, if you want to run something, other things must be turned off.

Also for location, consider the prevailing winds if the area gets cold during the winter. These boats are not well insulated, here in the PNW we shrink wrap the windows in the salon. Helps a lot to retain the heat and keep out the cold drafts. Also be sure to include a dehumidifier. With the boat closed up for winter and you living on board, there is a lot of moisture being produced and held inside the boat.

Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wort123

Patrick and Patti
4588 Pilothouse 1991
12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
M/V "Paloma"
MMSI # 338142921

Liveaboards 14 Aug 2017 13:33 #38

• Wort123
  • Thank you received: 11
Patrick, we've stayed aboard around 120+ days each year for the last three years, so we've been in 20 degrees up to 98 or so. I discovered "Reflectix" and cut pieces for all the big windows, makes a HUGE difference in the summer. Haven't tried for Winter, but we intend to be in South Carolina or further south this Winter, so heating shouldn't be an issue beyond what we have already experienced here in December. (The boat is on the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland.) As long as the water temperature is above around 45 our reverse AC works well.
When we first got the boat we managed with two 30 amp circuits, but we would want at least a fifty and a thirty. We'd also like to see voltage no lower than 112!

Steve & Cary Sober
Woodstock, VA
SURPRISE
2000 Bayliner 4788
Cummins 370's
Achilles 350DX with Eurohelm and 20HP Tohatsu
Kent Island, MD
Last Edit: by Wort123.
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jr
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds