Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor...

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 02 Jul 2009 01:47 #1

• kbxsrx
  • kbxsrx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
For the 1989 Arriva, and am in the middle of the install right now. Wow what a big ugly beast it is. I am unsure wether I am going to like it or not, will post a follow up after I dunk it the first time.

Specs- 80 Lb thrust, 24V variable speed.
Mount- bolts to Cavitation plate.

I think the biggest problem is going to be the loss of the 'step' everyone uses when getting out of the water, standing on the leg. I don't think it is going to be possible with the torpedo sticking out.

Pics

You guys can now see the tragedy of a prop I run, am still trying to find a SS 19 4 or 5 blade at a decent price.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bayliner Arriva 2050 pilot
S&R, EMS, VFF 30 years

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 03 Jul 2009 06:06 #2

• kbxsrx
I used it today, it worked flawlessly, silent and very little vibration. It was well worth the money. It was actually surreal puttering around trolling with no noise at all, yet sitting behind the steering wheel to drive the boat. People had no clue how we were moving around. :D It was definately nicer launching and docking with electric over gas. Reverse with electric is almost pointless, unless you want to brake very slowly lol.

Anyone want to see pics? I will post them tomorrow if anyone does.

S&R, EMS, VFF 30 years

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 21 Jul 2009 01:45 #3

• kbxsrx
update- fully charged I was able to get 5-6 hours trolling. $800.00 for the motor, 280 for batteries, 50 for a connector, and another 300 for a dedicated charging system if I decide to go that way, almost not worth the money.
Bigger pita, have to remove the trolling motor so I can reinstall the whale tail for kneeboarding.

I can understand why there are so many of these for sale.

S&R, EMS, VFF 30 years

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 21 Jul 2009 02:54 #4

• Morecoffee
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 17
I would be interested in some pictures. I looked at an electric motor for my 2152 but eventually decided it was not the way to go for me. I really like the idea of a nice quiet propulsion method and I think it would have worked on most levels except the one, which for me was a biggy, a backup. I wanted to be able to fish most of the day and then still have it work as a backup if required. Everyone I talked to including a dealer rep for Minn Kota advised me against it.

I think that as battery technology advances they will be a good option in the future as a backup and trolling motor.

Post some pictures!

Thanks

1979 32 Uniflite Sport Sedan twin 270 crusaders
2003 Bayliner 2152 210 Classic 5.0 mercruiser - sold
I wish I knew now what I didn't know then

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 21 Jul 2009 11:30 #5

• flea
Why did they recommend against it?

I've seen to many idiots who ran out of fuel or had motor problems a few hundred feet from the docks after leaving, cause they never checked anything out before they left.

Its fun watching them try to paddle their way back in, some jump in and swim the boat back. If only they had even a little trolling motor....they wouldn't have to work their butts off at paddling for not being prepared.

All my boats have had a trolling motor, you don't need to fire up the main motor to troll or drift around or reset the anchor.

I used a 55lb pontoon mount on my 23ft heavy arse boat, and it pulled it with no problem, even in wind. I used it for docking into my slip, worked like a charm.

We would sit up on the bow with our legs hanging and just troll through shallow cuts, anyone who recommends against any type of trolling motor, specifically electric...doesn't know what they are talking about, or has had little experience with them.

Obey gravity, It's the law!

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 21 Jul 2009 23:03 #6

• Morecoffee
  • Away

flea;324868 wrote: Why did they recommend against it?

I explained that I wanted to be able to fish with it, in a tidal, windy environment for up to 6 hours and still have it serve as a backup to get home if the main engine did not start. They felt it would not be able to do that. In fact they felt the battery would not last anywhere near that long.

Cheers

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 21 Jul 2009 23:10 #7

• Syzygyone
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

kbxsrx;316977 wrote: I think the biggest problem is going to be the loss of the 'step' everyone uses when getting out of the water, standing on the leg. I don't think it is going to be possible with the torpedo sticking out.

Pics to follow.

Geez, maybe it's just me but I'd hate to think of stepping on the outdrive leg as the primary means of getting out of the water. Don't you have a swim step ladder? They are lots cheaper than out drives and a lot safer too, IMHO.

Good Luck & Smooth Cruisin' to ya'll! :arr
The Admiral and Syzygyone
"Afternoon Delight"

Albums - '77 Sea Ray 240 SRV SDB; '03 Bayliner 175

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 22 Jul 2009 06:33 #8

• kbxsrx
One of the problems I am having is the fact that I do not charge from the Engine while I am running. I would have to buy some $300.00 charger or isolator, as I run 3 12 volt batteries; 1 fo rthe Engine, 2 in series for the TM.

While I agree it would be nice to be able to recharge the trolling batteries on the fly, while taking a break from fishing, heading to another spot or kneeboarding, etc, its just the fact of another $300.00, another $300.00, another $3000.00, and so on.

I might yet sell it and go back to high speed trolling. :D

S&R, EMS, VFF 30 years

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 22 Jul 2009 13:53 #9

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252

kbxsrx;325474 wrote: One of the problems I am having is the fact that I do not charge from the Engine while I am running. I would have to buy some $300.00 charger or isolator, as I run 3 12 volt batteries; 1 fo rthe Engine, 2 in series for the TM.

While I agree it would be nice to be able to recharge the trolling batteries on the fly, while taking a break from fishing, heading to another spot or kneeboarding, etc, its just the fact of another $300.00, another $300.00, another $3000.00, and so on.

You could charge that extra battery pair while running for $60. http://www.yandina.com/c100InfoR3.htm

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 22 Jul 2009 13:55 #10

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252

Morecoffee;325289 wrote: I explained that I wanted to be able to fish with it, in a tidal, windy environment for up to 6 hours and still have it serve as a backup to get home if the main engine did not start. They felt it would not be able to do that. In fact they felt the battery would not last anywhere near that long.

Cheers

Sounds like a bigger battery bank is in order. If you have room for the size and weight, batteries are a relatively cheap way to accomplish what you're looking for.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 22 Jul 2009 23:59 #11

• kbxsrx

whiskywizard;325533 wrote: You could charge that extra battery pair while running for $60. http://www.yandina.com/c100InfoR3.htm

Sounds like YOU need a beer/burger/juice/steak, whatever it takes to thank you.

Thank you. :D

S&R, EMS, VFF 30 years

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 23 Jul 2009 00:21 #12

• kbxsrx

Syzygyone;325296 wrote: Geez, maybe it's just me but I'd hate to think of stepping on the outdrive leg as the primary means of getting out of the water. Don't you have a swim step ladder? They are lots cheaper than out drives and a lot safer too, IMHO.

Yes, I have one, but when you are 6'6, and your neck is the only thing sticking out of the water, and you ladder only drops 1', there are....'logistical' problems.

I have always stood on the edge of the out drive, where the whale tail would mount. Curse this height :D

S&R, EMS, VFF 30 years

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 23 Jul 2009 00:40 #13

• Morecoffee
  • Away
My ladder only has one step as well and it is a bit of a grunt to get out of the water. I did not think of stepping on the outdrive, I may give that a try. I put my knee on the step first and then follow with the other foot and pull at the same time. Every time I do it I think it might be time to lose some weight...

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Cheers

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 23 Jul 2009 02:11 #14

• shortyjacobs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

kbxsrx;324758 wrote: update- fully charged I was able to get 5-6 hours trolling. $800.00 for the motor, 280 for batteries, 50 for a connector, and another 300 for a dedicated charging system if I decide to go that way, almost not worth the money.
Bigger pita, have to remove the trolling motor so I can reinstall the whale tail for kneeboarding.

I can understand why there are so many of these for sale.

Why do you need a whale tail for knee boarding? To let you plane at slower speeds? If so, Smart Tabs would fix your issue....although from the look of your transom you'd need to get the $180 SS model and not the $100 plastic model, (they call the plastic model "advanced composite", but it's plastic).

The Rain Maker
1987 Bayliner 1952 Cuddy
5.0L V8 (GM 305)
Cobra Drive

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 23 Jul 2009 02:41 #15

• kbxsrx
Shorty there are a few variations to that question. (I have never had tried or seen smart tabs btw)

-with the trolling motor on, there is a helluva lot of drag. It takes forever to get on plane with it on, and there is no way to run it and a whale tail. It of course would be better with a 5 blade 19, anyone got one for sale cheap? :D

The only good prop I have is a 17 aluminum, and with the whale tail it pops immediately, doesnt matter how big the goombas on the 2 kneeboards or skis or wakeboard are.

I borrowed up a 5 blade prop, and am of course amazed with the performance, but for 900.00 with the hub, no thanks.

I think also that I am bending the props when pulling big guys out on boards, there is/was no where that the prop was hit or dragged, yet at the end of the day it was harder to get on plane, and definately a vibration. I honestly think that the torque of the 5.0L with guys in the water on startup somehow wrecks props. I had a decent 19 aluminum, but same problem.

I am not new to boats, this is my 6th boat, second Bayliner, and biggest engine. (4.3, 3.0, outboards). I bought a stainless 19 that was damaged when purchased, just to try, and it is going back. POS.

S&R, EMS, VFF 30 years

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 23 Jul 2009 02:44 #16

• kbxsrx

Morecoffee;325901 wrote: My ladder only has one step as well and it is a bit of a grunt to get out of the water. I did not think of stepping on the outdrive, I may give that a try. I put my knee on the step first and then follow with the other foot and pull at the same time. Every time I do it I think it might be time to lose some weight...

Cheers

I hear you Morecoffee. I am 6'6 340, and still love watersports/ You would be AMAZED how easy it is to get up that way, just gently and carefully put a foot on top of the cavitation plate, close to the centre as possible. If you have a whale tail it is even better. Get the second one on, the boat comes down, then onto the top of the leg, or step from there, and you go up onto the swim platform or ladder deck.
I have always done it. Just make diyamn sure the engine is off.

S&R, EMS, VFF 30 years

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 23 Jul 2009 03:13 #17

• Syzygyone
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

kbxsrx;325890 wrote: Yes, I have one, but when you are 6'6, and your neck is the only thing sticking out of the water, and you ladder only drops 1', there are....'logistical' problems.

I have always stood on the edge of the out drive, where the whale tail would mount. Curse this height :D

Morecoffee;325901 wrote: My ladder only has one step as well and it is a bit of a grunt to get out of the water. I did not think of stepping on the outdrive, I may give that a try. I put my knee on the step first and then follow with the other foot and pull at the same time. Every time I do it I think it might be time to lose some weight...

Cheers

kbxsrx;325959 wrote: I hear you Morecoffee. I am 6'6 340, and still love watersports/ You would be AMAZED how easy it is to get up that way, just gently and carefully put a foot on top of the cavitation plate, close to the centre as possible. If you have a whale tail it is even better. Get the second one on, the boat comes down, then onto the top of the leg, or step from there, and you go up onto the swim platform or ladder deck.
I have always done it. Just make diyamn sure the engine is off.

We had the same problem with our 175 and I am only 5'9". My 6'4" son couldn't even get his leg up on the ladder. The ladder that came with it was a two step. For a net cost of less than $10 (Buy a three step on Ebay and Sell the Old Step on Ebay) you get a three step ladder which made all the difference. Seriously, several of us did just that over the last couple seasons. Do a BOC search on swim ladder and you will find at least a couple of threads. To each his own but IMHO it's just a lot simpler and safer to have a longer ladder.

"Afternoon Delight"

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 23 Jul 2009 03:16 #18

• Syzygyone
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

kbxsrx;325474 wrote: One of the problems I am having is the fact that I do not charge from the Engine while I am running. I would have to buy some $300.00 charger or isolator, as I run 3 12 volt batteries; 1 fo rthe Engine, 2 in series for the TM.

Here's an option. I had a 175 for three seasons. The first mod I did was put on Pro Troller SX Smart Tabs. Total cost was about $115 and 1 hour's time. When I deployed the smart tabs, the boat trolled at idle at less than 1 MPH. It tracked straight with almost no bow wander. I liked the performance so much, I abandoned the idea of an engine mount trolling motor. Check out my album for the tab installation and also do a BOC search on Smart Tabs.

"Afternoon Delight"

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 25 Jul 2009 00:04 #19

• kbxsrx
are the powered tabs worth looking into, or do just the manual ones suffice? I would think powered tabs are more for huge boats.

S&R, EMS, VFF 30 years

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 25 Jul 2009 00:47 #20

• shortyjacobs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

kbxsrx;326956 wrote: are the powered tabs worth looking into, or do just the manual ones suffice? I would think powered tabs are more for huge boats.

Opinions vary. You can't adjust smart tabs "on the fly". For a boat your size however, many think powered tabs are overkill.

You can get blemished smart tabs on iboats for $100, (search BOC for blemish smart tabs, you'll find my thread on that). On my 1952, they made a HUGE difference. Like Syzy said, it putts along dead straight, and my 1952 with a 5.0L, that used to take FOREVER to get up on plane, and used to not plane slower than 26-27 mph, (or plow faster than 13 mph), all of a sudden can plane at 17-18 mph.

For 1/5th the cost, I think the blemished smart tab SX are the best "bang for the boat buck" out there.

One thing to be aware of, however, is that smart tabs cannot, as i said, be adjusted on the fly. This presents a problem for wakeboarding, as most people like HUGE wakes. The tabs lift the arse end of your boat out of the water nicely, (allowing you to plane faster, go faster at WOT, etc.), which means your wake gets a bit SMALLER. I haven't had a problem with this, but I'm still a "novice" wakeboarder....

You can buy something from Nauticus Inc allowing you to lock the tabs in the "up" position for times when you want to wakeboard......but then you are right back where you started, right?

Note, I had a whale tail before I had the smart tabs, (you aren't supposed to use them together).....and the performance improvement between tail and tabs was FAR more substantial than the performance improvement from nothing to tail. (No tail or tabs = sucky....tail = just about as sucky, but slightly better.........tabs=HOLY CRAP!)

The Rain Maker
1987 Bayliner 1952 Cuddy
5.0L V8 (GM 305)
Cobra Drive

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 25 Jul 2009 01:35 #21

• kbxsrx

shortyjacobs;326971 wrote: Opinions vary. You can't adjust smart tabs "on the fly". For a boat your size however, many think powered tabs are overkill.

.tail = just about as sucky, but slightly better.........tabs=HOLY CRAP!)

tabs = holy crap means I am going to be ordering a set of tabs. Thanks guys.

I am going out right now to yank the trolling motor for tomorrow, going kneeboarding.

S&R, EMS, VFF 30 years

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 16 Aug 2009 19:43 #22

• kbxsrx
update- I went into Cabela's in Point Falls Idaho, and picked up a Minn Kota onboard charger. I am going to wire it in before the next fishing trip, it promises 30 amps max charge to up to 4 batteries, all electronic controlled.
At least now I dont have to worry about running the battery dead and charging all night to use it again.
More reports as I get it out.

S&R, EMS, VFF 30 years

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 16 Nov 2009 00:03 #23

• kbxsrx
Forgot to update this apparently. :D

The install went easy, nothing to it.
Using it worked great, troll for a couple hours, run to the next spot, play for a while, all in all I used the trolling motor all weekend long, when not towing someone. I never ran low on battery, and really could not have been happier. Other than having more power, of course.
Overall, I think everyone would like having this setup.

S&R, EMS, VFF 30 years

Picked up an Engine Mount 80# trolling motor... 01 Feb 2010 05:34 #24

• kbxsrx
another update- just remember this from the last trip out.

I left the minnkota charger hooked up, for a week and all 3 batteries were dead flat. Now I have to unhook the bloody thing during the week. For winter all batteries are in the shop, but what a PITA.

S&R, EMS, VFF 30 years
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds