Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Selling Idea?

Selling Idea? 03 Oct 2017 14:03 #1

• Whiskey31
  • Whiskey31's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hudson Valley, NY
  • Thank you received: 6
I'm in NY. I want to sell my 185 (2015 with 220hp, standard seat layout, extended platform, fiberglass floor, bimini top, heavy duty trailer w/surge brakes, smart tabs, carpeting, bow filler cushion and more if anyone is interested)

I'm wondering if its worth bringing it down to a dealer somewhere in the south for the winter to sell it. Rather than pay storage up here, what if I bring it south and maybe it'll sell?

Thoughts?...I'm assuming people buy used boats in the south rear round? What's the difference if I sell it up here or there. The sooner it sells the sooner I can get another boat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Orange County, NY....Boating mostly on the Hudson River
Just started boating last summer (2015), so I'm a newbie really

2015 Bayliner 185 w/4.3L MPI (the Jeannie Rose)
1988 SunRunner 195B Bowrider w/3.0
2009 Harley Road King

Selling Idea? 03 Oct 2017 14:55 #2

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 961

Whiskey31 wrote: I'm in NY. I want to sell my 185 (2015 with 220hp, standard seat layout, extended platform, fiberglass floor, bimini top, heavy duty trailer w/surge brakes, smart tabs, carpeting, bow filler cushion and more if anyone is interested)

I'm wondering if its worth bringing it down to a dealer somewhere in the south for the winter to sell it. Rather than pay storage up here, what if I bring it south and maybe it'll sell?

Thoughts?...I'm assuming people buy used boats in the south rear round? What's the difference if I sell it up here or there. The sooner it sells the sooner I can get another boat.

If your goal is to buy another boat as soon as possible than you best choice is likely to trade it into a dealer that has the boat you want next.
That way you save the tax on the difference and the boat you are buying is in the same 'depressed' season market that you are in selling.

Some of the larger boats are moved south to sell but the moving cost, upkeep, insurance and extras do not typically yield a positive selling experience for the smaller boats that are away from the owner.

Northport NY

Selling Idea? 03 Oct 2017 21:25 #3

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382
+1
If you are not planning on buying new at a dealer, than you will need to sell or have it sold for you as you can't trade it in. A dealer selling it for you is going to want a few thousand. They usually want 10% with a $2,000 minimum. Its going to cost you money to get it to FL if you want to try to sell it down there.
Figure out what you think you could sell it for next spring, subtract winter storage cost and shipping south cost and used boat dealer sales fee and list it.
And beware of popyachts. All they do is spam your add everywhere. They don't have salesman to show the boat for you, which is the PITA part of selling a boat. I've sold 2 boats this year so had to deal with a lot of knuckleheads, old guys daydreaming and just looking to talk, guys that don't have money or permission from their wives, etc.

Selling Idea? 03 Oct 2017 21:32 #4

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382
Here are some in your area.
hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/boa/d/baylin...-43l/6282106835.html
Been listed over a month, so probably not going to sell anytime soon at that price.

newjersey.craigslist.org/bod/d/2015-bayl...ider/6322169037.html
This one looks like its at a dealership, hence the high price. Dealerships are able to provide more types of financing though.

Selling Idea? 03 Oct 2017 23:36 #5

• Cool Beans
  • Thank you received: 28

green650 wrote: +1
Figure out what you think you could sell it for next spring, subtract winter storage cost and shipping south cost and used boat dealer sales fee and list it.

I just sold my 1975 Ranger33 this spring with that same mindset. I wanted the boat sold asap since I had two at that point. Nice boat with lots of upgrades but still needed TLC. Started at what I thought the boat was worth and subtracted 1 years slip, maintenance, insurance, spring haulout (it was over due)...and came up with my "I'll let it go for this" price.

Sold it in less then two months within 5% of that price ;)

Might be a mindset though...I don't like selling things, I like sold things! "Sold" means I don't have to worry about it anymore and I have cash in hand :side:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeffw, Shawnh

. . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's

Selling Idea? 05 Oct 2017 13:16 #6

• Whiskey31
  • Whiskey31's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hudson Valley, NY
  • Thank you received: 6
the first link is my boat!...

Orange County, NY....Boating mostly on the Hudson River
Just started boating last summer (2015), so I'm a newbie really

2015 Bayliner 185 w/4.3L MPI (the Jeannie Rose)
1988 SunRunner 195B Bowrider w/3.0
2009 Harley Road King
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds