Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Marina boat insurance requirements

Marina boat insurance requirements 03 Oct 2017 02:48 #1

• Solandri
  • Solandri's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 38
I've been on the wait list for dry storage at the nearby harbor, and got a call saying a space opened up and I was next in line. I met with them today and got a pamphlet on their insurance requirements before I can store my boat there. The marina is owned by the county and operated by a subcontractor.

They require I list the county and contractor as additional insured. Basically, my insurance covers them for any damage that's their fault. My current insurer (Amica) balked at this and refused. From reading around, it seems to be normal nowadays. So I take it I need to find a new insurer?

www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ance-question#797201
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ance-question#791827

The other requirement is a subrogation clause which makes it impossible for my insurer to recover damages from the marina or county in case of damage that is their fault.

"The Protection and Indemnity [liability] policy shall waive all rights of subrogation against the [COUNTY], its elected and appointed officials, Operators, officers, agents, and employeess and [MARINA COMPANY] when acting within the scope of their appointment or employment."

Is this normal? Do insurance companies actually agree to this stuff? This Boat US article seems to say it may be negotiable. How realistic is that when the marina owner is a county?

www.boatus.com/magazine/2012/february/advocate.asp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2
Last Edit: by Solandri.

Marina boat insurance requirements 03 Oct 2017 03:35 #2

• Alan Teed
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 102
Yes in my personal experience Insurance Companies will agree to waive rights of subrogation (WOS) and offer Additional Insured (AI) status. Not all will but some certainly do. I manage a local community marina and we require that all boat owners provide us with WOS and AI. Most are able to provide this from their insurer. My own insurer will provide it. Some insurers do charge for each AI that is added to the policy.

Good luck.

Alan Teed
MOONDANCE
'94 4788
Gig Harbor, WA
Previously:
2006 Hylas 49' blowboat
Bayliner 2855
1977 Cal 34' blowboat
1981 Hunter 33' blowboat
Experience: Sail 50 years, Motor 15 years. 2 Transats, 1 Baltimore-Virgin Islands, 6 Months cruising Caribbean, 3.5 years cruising Med.

Marina boat insurance requirements 03 Oct 2017 05:05 #3

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 358
The marina can still be held liable for damaging your boat through carelessness.
The point being-
"acting within the scope of their appointment or employment."

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds