Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Refurbing a 1988 Avanti 3450 - Help!

Refurbing a 1988 Avanti 3450 - Help! 30 Sep 2017 16:27 #1

• ChefJ
  • ChefJ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello! I just purchased a 1988 Avanti 3450 for only $7,000 which I couldn't pass up. The hull is in great condition, the galley has been updated w a larger fridge and cherry wood flooring. However, I'm going to have to replace both engines. My question is what size bed does the stateroom accommodate? From what I've found in researching it only says double berth, which I assume is a double/full bed. Can I put a regular mattress in it, or do I need a custom made? There are a few things I need to take care of immediately and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I need to replace the hatches but am having a hard time finding the correct one, as well as finding replacement cabin windows, and water heater (where is it located on the boat??) Anyone shed some light on this for me? Thank you very much!
Chef

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chef J
Phoenix, AZ

1988 Avanti 3450
Kept in slip in San Diego

Refurbing a 1988 Avanti 3450 - Help! 30 Sep 2017 20:53 #2

• Pcpete
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 331
Well, welcome to the BOC. Please add your boat information and where you are so we can point you toward local resources. No sense sending you to Home Depot if you are in New Zealand. If you measure the current mattress you will probably find its somewhere between a double and a queen. If you are in Puget Sound area I recommend Canvas Supply. They have made several mattresses for our club members and all are extremely satisfied.
If your hatches have metal frames in decent shape you can just replace the "plexiglass". If the entire hatch has to be replaced the best solution is to measure the current hatch and go shopping on the web or call Fisheries Supply in Seattle and talk to them. Have your size, they are very knowledgeable. The manufacturer ditched all of its history so part numbers are no help. The cabin windows will probably have to be made unless someplace like Great Lakes Skipper has some new old stock. I replaced mine twice (we had that boat for 30 years) on my former boat and made my own.
The hot water eater is likely in the engine room and square.
This may help bayliner.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/1988-Motoryacht.pdf

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Refurbing a 1988 Avanti 3450 - Help! 01 Oct 2017 16:14 #3

• ChefJ
Thanks for the welcome! This is going to be a fun project to work on.

I am located in the Phoenix area, however the boat is in San Diego. Since the first action is to refurb the galley, I am planning on taking the seats, etc, out and bringing them back to AZ to re-cover myself. Any parts I need I will try to find locally or order them online.

I have a really bad back and wanted to take a "normal" mattress for the stateroom as we plan on staying all summer on the boat. However, I don't know the dimensions and didn't know if a double size mattress would work, be to long, etc.

Thank you for your recommendations to replace the cabin windows. Also if I only have to replace the glass on the hatches would save me money. I saw eBay sells the parts for the hatches.

What is your thought on using a heavy fabric to use to cover the back of the settee as well as possible vinyl for the actual seat? Any mildew probs? Since we plan on spending summers on it, I want the look of "home", instead of blue/white vinyl boat look.

Thank you for your help. We are first time boat owners. Appreciate the manual, that will definitely come in handy.

Chef

Chef J
Phoenix, AZ

1988 Avanti 3450

Refurbing a 1988 Avanti 3450 - Help! 01 Oct 2017 16:39 #4

• JJ Parsons
  • Thank you received: 0
Congrats on obtaining the 3450. By far my all time favorite. Unfortunately I missed picking up one of these about a month ago by just a few days. Heartbroken, I moved on and grabbed up a Bayliner Avanti 3255. Looking forward to seeing your progress here. If possible share some of the updated Galley pics so I can see what all I should consider doing to mine. Im about two feet shorter and a foot less wide in the beam area than yours but all good ideas can spur out of the box thinking!!!

1987 Bayliner Avanti 3255
Twin OMC 5.7L 4V

Refurbing a 1988 Avanti 3450 - Help! 01 Oct 2017 16:57 #5

• Pcpete
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 331
Chief, call Brien and Kira at Canvas Supply. They can tell you how to measure if they don't know the size already then set you up with a great, house type mattress that wil work with your back and ship it to you packaged so you can get it into the cabin. Not cheap, and they make custom sheets too. One from them is on our list for our new to us 3818.
As to fabrics, most upholstery fabrics will work just fine. The trick is to mess the cabin up so that air can get under and around the cushions. There are low heat dehumidifiers with fans that are made for wintering over that work well. I get my vinyl from McDonald Perfect Fit in Tukwilla, WA, but there is probably a place similar or another branch of Perfect Fit in the Phoenix area. They are the type of supplier for auto and boat interior shops, ignore the wholesale only part.
I sent you a pm about what to do Phoenix.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Refurbing a 1988 Avanti 3450 - Help! 02 Oct 2017 00:31 #6

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
You are talking about the bed in the V berth? It's not square.

If you are talking about the mid cabin I can get some measurements tomorrow.

The water heater is located in front of the starboard engine and a little to the left. It can be accessed through a panel that you unscrew at the foot of the mid cabin berth.

The interior fabric can be just about what ever you want. Theoretically it shouldn't be getting wet.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's

Refurbing a 1988 Avanti 3450 - Help! 02 Oct 2017 00:38 #7

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Here is a better it's not square pic....

The mattress fits into a frame so a square one won't work its.narrower at the head and round at the feet.

Here is what your water heater looks like....

This message has attachments images.

Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

Refurbing a 1988 Avanti 3450 - Help! 02 Oct 2017 17:18 #8

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Here is a better pi true of where the water heater is.....

I also feat6ured the mid berth cabin bed it's square 79 long and 53 inches wide except it has one problem there is a support post / wire.run that makes it a problem for a rectangle standard matters. It still is out about 4 or 5 inches.

This message has attachments images.

Twin chevy 350's

Refurbing a 1988 Avanti 3450 - Help! 02 Oct 2017 17:57 #9

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Here is a better pi true of where the water heater is.....

I also measured the mid berth cabin bed it's square 79 long and 53 inches wide except it has one problem there is a support post / wire.run that makes it a problem for a rectangle standard m atress It still is out about 4 or 5 inches.

Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

Refurbing a 1988 Avanti 3450 - Help! 02 Oct 2017 20:06 #10

• ChefJ
Hi JJ,

I will definitely be posting before and after pics. Looking forward to seeing it transform from what it now looks like to the new "homey" vessel!

Congrats on your purchase. I wasn't looking for a boat until this one fell into my lap and couldn't pass it up!

Cheers
Chef
The following user(s) said Thank You: JJ Parsons

Chef J
Phoenix, AZ

1988 Avanti 3450

Refurbing a 1988 Avanti 3450 - Help! 02 Oct 2017 20:20 #11

• ChefJ
YachtMan,

Thank you very much for your supplied info. It's hard to try and plan on going out of state to work on the boat. I've been there once and failed to get diminsions of the v berth bed.

You said the diminsions are 79x53, however a double size "regular" mattress is 74x54 which seems to me that I could put a double size mattress down and possibly put a few inches thick foam piece at the top of the mattress to fill the V where it doesn't fit at the top. I'm not certain exactly where the support post you refer is. Like I said, we are going there next weekend to start working and I hate to get a hotel room. One thing I am worried about is getting a mattress into the stateroom thru the door leading into the galley.

Appreciate all the pics, bud.

Chef

Chef J
Phoenix, AZ

1988 Avanti 3450
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds