• Page:

TOPIC: 2850 command Bridge restore?

2850 command Bridge restore? 23 Sep 2017 13:30 #26

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
I just now saw your video!
Yes...... it looks very clean for an older boat.

A few things that you may want to check and or replace:

95mm exhaust elbows-to-Y pipe couplers. The ones shown are too short and are clamped over the elbow's scalloped areas! These will lead to eventual over-heating issues.

It looks like the transom shields are missing several exhaust "rubber hooks"!

Are the Ignition Distributors "Marine"?

The trailer ( in my opinion ) is too small for this twin engine boat.
I own the big brother boat to this one (2850 Bounty) ....... and would not be comfortable with anything other than a triple axle, six lug hubs, full length trailer.

The following user(s) said Thank You: wineandcoffee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

2850 command Bridge restore? 28 Sep 2017 04:06 #27

• wineandcoffee
  • wineandcoffee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Had the survey today, surveyor called shortly after it began to let me know, wet port stringer, wet transom, lots of water breached into the cabin, soft deck, bow pulpit junk ect. Ect. I told him no reason to finish survey. I would be willing to fix one or two issues but the list was longer than I was interested in. Time to start looking again. Bummed was really hoping this one was it!

Anyone know what was the last year of twin screws on this size command bridge boat?

2850 command Bridge restore? 28 Sep 2017 16:27 #28

• SKUA 28 Contessa
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • In over my head... for sure.
  • Thank you received: 74
Unfortunately that is typical on the Contessas. They are 30+ years old now, for most of them, and some design shortcuts, it adds up. But the Hull itself is solid glass, and a pretty good design. The deck should be cored with foam, not balsa. Not particularly solid from the get go, The pulpits I've seen split from water ingress, nothing unusual there. Transom will be wet on any lower - mid , and some top tier boats after 30 years. Pick it up real cheap, and have a project.

1986 Bayliner Contessa 2850
On the hard undergoing, a full on refit and repower, with Chevrolet 454
Making real progress now
baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/forum/g...to-leak?limitstart=0

2850 command Bridge restore? 29 Sep 2017 03:13 #29

• wineandcoffee
Hi Brandon,

Here is a summary of the inspection and our phone conversation. I’ll attach a few photos as well.

HULL and DECK

The hull topsides were generally clean, some minor scuff and scratches, in fair condition. The hull bottom was painted with a black antifouling bottom paint the paint was in fair condition with a large section under the trailer unpainted due to lack of accessibility while the boat is on the trailer. The hull bottom gave good percussion soundings with variations in areas of stringers, bulkheads and tanks. The hull bottom is in good condition. The transom was moisture metered and percussion sounded. Moisture meter readings between the outdrives registered moderate to high levels of moisture. To the outside and above of the drives, moisture readings were low to moderate and eventually dry. Percussion soundings of the transom were fair, indicating that the moisture has not yet delaminated FRP from wood core.

The side decks port and starboard and the bow (lower portion) registered moderate to high on the moisture meter, percussion soundings supported the meter readings. The cabin top portion of the foredeck gave good percussion sounding returns and dry readings on the moisture meter.

The cockpit sole also meter and sounded well. The engine compartment hatch is soft to walk on.

DECK HARDWARE:
The stainless steel bow railing has three broken stanchion bases at the bow on the port side. There was movement of the bow railing stanchion bases and slight flexing of the deck, with moderate force applied, due to the moisture in the deck. The police aluminum stern rail was in good condition and well secured to the cockpit gunnel. A broken stanchion base was also noted on the aft end of the flybridge stainless railing.

The anchor/bow sprit is delaminated from the deck to the end of the sprit. Movement and flex was noted with light to moderate force applied.

VESSEL INTERIOR:
Significant moisture incursion was noted. Port and starboard settee cushions are stained and in poor condition. The cushions of the v-berth appeared to have been recently recovered. The v-berth cushions were stained from water incursion. Water stains on interior wood work around port and starboard windows. The carpet was soiled and stained. Light fixture above the dinette table was broke, one bulb missing. The light on the starboard side of the vessel aft functioned intermittently, installed with a wire twist nut. The heads light fixture was non functioning, lens missing.

INTERIOR BULKHEADS, STRINGERS, AND TABBING:
Bulkheads that were accessible forward were in good condition and the tabbing was intact. Beneath the main cabin sole, visible from the access near the galley and under the table, furniture bulkheads were damp, and broken tabbing on the port side bulkhead of the settee/galley was noted. The stringers inside the engine compartment percussion sounded well with the exception of the stringer nearest the center line that runs under the port engine. Just forward of the engine, the stringer gave weaker soundings than the other accessible stringers, indicating possible water incursion.

Ports settee

Broken Tabbing/Wet Furniture Bulkhead

One of Four Broken Stanchion Bases

Delaminated Anchor Sprit

Please let me know if you have any questions

2850 command Bridge restore? 29 Sep 2017 03:16 #30

• wineandcoffee
Boy this seems like more than what want to take on....what would you guys offer?

2850 command Bridge restore? 29 Sep 2017 03:28 #31

• wineandcoffee

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

2850 command Bridge restore? 29 Sep 2017 13:49 #32

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 148
My 2¢. I'd pass on this one and thank the surveyor with a check and a nice bottle of his fav imbibe. The man did his job, which saved you from a ton of unwarranted work.

WaC, there are so many boats for sale, and most with a lot less issues. In fact, I've seen abandoned boats in a farmers field that need less work. Keep looking.

Since you mentioned, 'investment', I suggest you keep a log of what each one would cost to buy and rebuild, and a rough total of the extras. Even if you picked up this boat for free, you'd likely be spending more than the cost of one in better shape that either comes with the extras, or you can buy them and get a warrantee.

I forget where you are. Please fill out your signature block so we don't have to keep looking through your past posts to address your questions. Just click on your name, then 'edit'.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin
Last Edit: by CptCrunchie.

2850 command Bridge restore? 29 Sep 2017 17:10 #33

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
keep looking... one of our members was selling his 93 3058 while back.

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

2850 command Bridge restore? 29 Sep 2017 18:04 #34

• SKUA 28 Contessa
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • In over my head... for sure.
  • Thank you received: 74
Although I would pass on this boat, the pic of the ruptured bulkhead at the foot of the cabin being the main cause, the handrail moves around because there is no backer plate and most of the handrail bolts run through the foam core. Also they are Zamak fittings. Hardly good engineering. As an aside , I blew out both the foot bulkhead and the front gas tank bulkhead, jumping, unintendedly over a crazy wake. I repaired both with no issues, but have since completely replaced both, during my refit. The windows on the cabin bulkhead show the typical leaks. There is no way to fix these permanently with the original design. Offer would be 500-1000, and plan for a couple year rebuild, if you have the time and money. If you have a job, and only a couple hours here and there, the time frame will go up dramatically. If you pay someone it wont be worth it.

Edit: My comments on the bulkhead my not be pertinent, as I though it was under the deck, ( usually where the water lines run up to the head). But after looking at it again, I'm not sure what that is a pic of. I think it might be the rear furniture box. Still wouldn't change my opinion to pass, unles you love a project.

1986 Bayliner Contessa 2850
On the hard undergoing, a full on refit and repower, with Chevrolet 454
Making real progress now
baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/forum/g...to-leak?limitstart=0
Last Edit: by SKUA 28 Contessa.

2850 command Bridge restore? 05 Oct 2017 01:51 #35

• wineandcoffee
Thank you all. I did pass on this one. I am a true believer a good surveyor is worth his weight in gold. I am continuing my search. Anyone know what year they quit making twin engine command bridge in the 28 foot length? If anyone knows of one in the Minnesota area please let me know!

• Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds