Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New To Anti-Foul Coating

New To Anti-Foul Coating 13 Sep 2017 14:50 #1

• Northern Bayliner
  • Northern Bayliner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Good Day Boaters, I am a new 2859 owner and I have a Question about how much Anti-Foul to buy? 2 Gallons for 2 coats on a 2859? I have never applied Anti-foul coating before,It had bottom coat but 98% wore off so I need to do some sanding and prep work. I know it depends on how heavy I apply the first coat. At $265.00 a Gallon and doing it in a remote location and having to order it I don't want to run out or buy too much. Is their a rule of thumb? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New To Anti-Foul Coating 13 Sep 2017 16:10 #2

• Pcpete
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 326
You ask some questions where "it depends" is an answer. First, where are you? It makes a difference as to what types of biocides are available. In Washington, copper on recreational vessels is out. If you use copper, you need to leave a clear ring around the outdrive to keep the copper from bonding with the aluminum because bad things will happen.
On my 2950 Encounter that cruised at 23kn, I used Seahawk brand starting with the barrier coat then the "Smart Solution". www.seahawkpaints.com/antifouling-bottom-paint/ It took just under a gallon per coat and, because of the formulation it's just fine for the drives. I prepped and applied it myself.
Being an ablative, the bottom was cleaned every time I put it on a plane. The boat was moored at the Port of Everett, WA in somewhat brackish water. Just my experience.
Please add your where you are and a bit about you boat, it really helps. You might be my neighbor.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948
Last Edit: by Pcpete.

New To Anti-Foul Coating 13 Sep 2017 23:20 #3

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
West Marine has a very good tutorial on the subject. www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/West-Advisor-Articles Scroll down to Maintenance and pick your subject.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Northern Bayliner

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds