Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: From Spain:Need experienced counsel to install Aux. motor. Comtessa2850

From Spain:Need experienced counsel to install Aux. motor. Comtessa2850 07 Sep 2017 14:07 #1

• federico
  • federico's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
]I have a completely restored Contessa 2850 . Following members advice I installed a Volvo KAD44 diesel with a Volvo duoprop tail. results have been magnificent!!! 36 knots max speed and dos 20 knots just at 2750 rpms consuming 20 liters per hour! Couldn’t have wished for anything better.
As I trawl 25 miles from the coast in a dangerous area (strait of Gibraltar) I’m always worried about motor or tail problems, so I have decided to install a Yamaha Enduro 40hp as an auxiliary (do you call it this way?) motor. I have a completely new unit and I believe it would have enough power to bring the boat back to port at 8/10 knots....
Has anyone done something similar? IS it to big?
I would need ideas of how to do it. Information of how strong the support should be, size, positioning, etc...
This is the boat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

From Spain:Need experienced counsel to install Aux. motor. Comtessa2850 07 Sep 2017 17:05 #2

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
I'm guessing a 20 hp would be a max on that you won't be able to plane just go trolling speed anyway.

You would need to put a trolling motor mount on your swim platform and add steering and controls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: federico

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

From Spain:Need experienced counsel to install Aux. motor. Comtessa2850 08 Sep 2017 13:34 #3

• federico
Thanks for your reply!
I only have this motor and it’s obviously to big for the swim platform. DO you believe I could cut 1/3 of the platform-or eliminate an area, so I could place a motor mount attached to the stern? I need to do 6-8 knots ...not more. But I want peace of mind...

From Spain:Need experienced counsel to install Aux. motor. Comtessa2850 08 Sep 2017 14:56 #4

• 706jim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 62
I understand that you own this engine, but it would be awfully heavy whether mounted on a proper bracket or boarding platform. Maybe you could trade it for a 15 or 20 hp model?

2007 Discovery 246
300mpi BIII
Welcome island Lake Superior

From Spain:Need experienced counsel to install Aux. motor. Comtessa2850 08 Sep 2017 15:31 #5

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
This is my motor mount when I bought the boat the previous owner had a 20 hp 2 stroke on it.. looking at it there is no way I would put any power to it. 4 or 5 miles an hour at best. I would imagine that pretty much any swim platform would be similar. Most are not made for pushing a boat.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

From Spain:Need experienced counsel to install Aux. motor. Comtessa2850 17 Oct 2017 11:54 #6

• federico
Thanks for you info. I have seen a Panther auxiliary motor hydraulic lift MODel 45 www.panthermarineproducts.com/trim-and-tilt

Looks great!

Last Edit: by federico.
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds