Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: X-Country Move

X-Country Move 04 Sep 2017 17:49 #1

• Glasply1
  • Glasply1's Avatar Topic Author
  • 2007 288 Command Bridge
  • Thank you received: 17
I want to move my '07 288 Command Bridge from the Nashville area to the Pacific Northwest. I don't have a trailer and don't really want one, but think I could buy a trailer for what it will cost to pay someone to move it and then just use my own truck. I've not been able to find any one-way trailer rental options. Are there any "u-haul" style boat trailer rentals?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2007 288 Discovery Command Bridge
Tacoma, WA

X-Country Move 04 Sep 2017 18:07 #2

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 149

Glasply1 wrote: I want to move my '07 288 Command Bridge from the Nashville area to the Pacific Northwest. I don't have a trailer and don't really want one, but think I could buy a trailer for what it will cost to pay someone to move it and then just use my own truck. I've not been able to find any one-way trailer rental options. Are there any "u-haul" style boat trailer rentals?

There are lots of boat trailer rental places. The one I know of is Waypoint in Seattle. Not sure how they would get it to you, but it would be an easy drop off.

Where you moving to, ....or have you already updated your signature?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glasply1

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin
Last Edit: by CptCrunchie.

X-Country Move 04 Sep 2017 19:59 #3

• Glasply1
Thanks for info! I will contact them. We are from Tacoma, but bought our boat in Annapolis and launched it in Pittsburgh and have been doing The Great Loop which we will complete in October outside of Nashville. Plan to trailer boat to Tacoma and keep in dry storage at Foss Marina. I will check costs to deadhead trailer to Nashville, pick up boat and head back with it. I think I can buy a new trailer for ~$7,000 so renting or paying someone needs to be competitive with that.

Tacoma, WA

X-Country Move 04 Sep 2017 21:34 #4

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
You'll be +/- 13,000 lbs. on the trailer, so you'll definitely need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a weight equalizing hitch. The boat is overwidth at 10' beam, so you should have permits for every state you pass through. Depending on what's on your arch, you might be over legal height also. My 2858 on my trailer is 13'7", one inch over legal in most states, with nothing on the arch except the fold-down light.

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

X-Country Move 05 Sep 2017 01:26 #5

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382
I bought my 2859 with trailer in Missouri. I drove from Bellingham to Missouri and trailered it back for a little over $800 in fuel. Diesel was a little over $2 gallon then and it was a little over 2100 miles each way.
Trailers are expensive up here in the PNW and they are rusty. Boats are expensive up here and they are moldy and rusty. You will get your money back when you sell the trailer up here. Seems like the majority of the trailers are made in Florida and they get pricier the further away they get.
You will get premium price for your trailer as it will be like new. Try and launch it somewhere with a sling and then you won't even have to dip it in salt. You could probably even put an ad now for the trailer and have it sold before you register it. Transfer it to the buyer so you don't have to register it and pay taxes.

X-Country Move 05 Sep 2017 02:54 #6

• njosephson
  • Thank you received: 6
You might put it into U-Ship.com and see what happens, the guy that moved my boat up from Portland takes boats all over the country, if you could hook up with someone for a dead-head leg back the price might be competitive, especially if you aren't that interested in owning a trailer once you get here.

Best of luck on your move - and welcome back to the pacific northwest!

1998 Bayliner 2858
7.4L MPI / Bravo III
Harbour Village Marina - Kenmore WA

X-Country Move 05 Sep 2017 04:07 #7

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
I just went through this.. ended up buying my own trailer, which i went used to save money and it was a pain.. but the trailer is great and it all worked out. The drive was stressful as i was at 14'

I never found any boat trailer rentals except for pantoons. A used tri axel trailer 12-15k capacity is very hard to find. If you do buy new, most trailer sales could probably have them shipped to you as they often are shiped out of state already.

We have 2 great builders here in michigan.

1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

X-Country Move 05 Sep 2017 05:43 #8

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 149
These guys are in FL. They deliver AND have your size trailer.

www.platinumboattrailers.com/Home.html

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin

X-Country Move 05 Sep 2017 14:49 #9

• Glasply1
Thank you for advice. I have a friend in Boise who trailers his 288 with a single axle F-350 Diesel. I guess height depends on trailer design. Height is close, but I think it'll be 13'6". Good call on permit. The guy I mentioned trailered his 288 back to Boise a few month ago and was stopped by State Patrol one evening in Nebraska. He didn't have a permit. They made him park it right there at the nearest truck stop and stay overnight until office opened next morning and he could buy permit. Wouldn't even let him get to an exit with a motel!

Tacoma, WA

X-Country Move 05 Sep 2017 15:12 #10

• Glasply1
Who did you use in Portland? I thought about trying U-Ship on this, but I really don't like the site. Have used it for shipping a motorcycle a few times and most of the "shippers" on the site are intermediaries between you and the trucker. They give you a quote and then try to auction the actual shipment off to truckers who bid lower and lower against one another. The "shipper" earns the difference between the quote he gave you and the final bid..... unless he doesn't get any bids. Then he calls you back and says, he needs to raise the quote.... usually just days before you expected pick-up. I've had more than one motorcycle trip screwed up by this dance and you have little recourse!

When the ship dates matter, I now always go directly to a shipper who owns their own trucks and provides date certain pick-up and delivery times well in advance. It might cost a bit more, but you can mitigate some of the extra cost by allowing them to cross-dock the shipment, give them some flexibility on pick-up and delivery and arrange for pick-up and delivery at a business address versus a home address.

Tacoma, WA

X-Country Move 05 Sep 2017 15:15 #11

• Glasply1
Whoa...that is a great idea on getting trailer sold before even getting it there and even avoiding all the taxes! Thanks. Will definitely look into that.

Tacoma, WA

X-Country Move 05 Sep 2017 22:10 #12

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I wouldnt mess around with any shipping company other than boat specific. Putting a boat on an unknow trailer can be dangerous. I got my hull dimensions directly from formula to make sure my trailer would work.

Most shippers use adjustable hydrolic trailers and wont put them into water so you have to arrange a hoist out with local marina. I would call the full service marinas, most seem to offer boat transportation. Call where your boats at now, that will save you about $250 in one hoist. Also they wont have any dead head costs. I was quoted 1250-1700 to transit across michigan, roughly 250 miles to give you some idea. Never pulled permit it would of been just $15 and you get 5 days but the online application was such a pain i gave up.

As well check craigs in your area for boat transportation.

I hauled my 34 loa 15k lbs boat with my f250 6.0 diesel and got 9.4 mpg. Super impressed, wish i would of had a bit more tongue weight. Had to keep about 55mph the entire trip.

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

X-Country Move 05 Sep 2017 22:19 #13

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I would do it all again. Having the trailer will pay for itself in a few season wih storage. And now i can do any sort of trip i want in the future. A tri axel trailer is a valuable thing hard to come by used. Mine is 8" box steel with electric breaks on 2 axels, that frame is what they use for 20-30k lbs capacity trailers. Limiting factor is the 5k axels under it. The other nice thing is it has cut outs for shaft drive boats so it's universal and has an adjustable bow stop with a fixed winch. Meaning i can fit up to a 40' on it no problem if I upgrade the axels.

Last 2 cents... bunks aren't adjustable, however its my understanding that most cruisers are 18 degree hulls and the bunks are going to be close to the same. The owner i got it from was a marine mech and said he transported many different boats with it and i agree now that ive looked at many different trailer types.

For what you are going to pay for shipping, i would absolutely buy a trailer if you have a truck to pull it..

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

X-Country Move 05 Sep 2017 22:25 #14

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

X-Country Move 05 Sep 2017 22:29 #15

• Glasply1
I think that's direction I'm going. Can buy new tri-axle trailer from Platinum Trailer (mentioned above) and they'll deliver it to Nashville for $350. Just put a bid out on U-Ship so will see what that yields, but gotta believe buying a trailer is best long term move. Don't really want to store boat outside over winter in WA though.

Tacoma, WA
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds