Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Installing Weaver Davits on My 1997 Bayliner 2655 Ciera

Installing Weaver Davits on My 1997 Bayliner 2655 Ciera 27 Aug 2017 18:27 #1

• johnnyc61
  • johnnyc61's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1997 Bayliner 2655 Ciera Sunbridge & was wondering how much & how simple is the Installation of the Weaver Davits for a 8Ft Livingston Dinghy. And also, will I have to get the Extended Hooks for that particular Installation? I was reading that in some cases you have to get Higher Clearence on some Swim Platforms.. Just debating if I should just hire it out or DO IT MYSELF? Any advice out there would be GREAT!!! Thank you & Happy Boating!!!!!!! John C

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Installing Weaver Davits on My 1997 Bayliner 2655 Ciera 28 Aug 2017 01:26 #2

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382
It is very easy. It took less than an hour on my boat. I believe it was 6 2" long 1/4" screws for the swim platform and 6 1" long 1/4" screws for the boat. Fender washers on all and your favorite white goop on the swim platform so water doesn't get in the core. I used nyloc nuts on all of them. Is your swimplatform molded to the boat? If so you might need an extra hand or get creative with vise grips.

Last Edit: by green650.

Installing Weaver Davits on My 1997 Bayliner 2655 Ciera 28 Aug 2017 04:46 #3

• Gutenberg
  • Thank you received: 4
We installed weavers on our 2858 command bridge ourselves. If you choose to do it yourself, a few design considerations, the farther you extend the the hooks rearward, the higher above the swim grid they will need to be. The reason: as you accelerate from idle speed to get up on plane, your bow lifts, and your stern sinks, and now you have put an extra hundred pounds (dingy, motor, etc.) or so sticking out the back, without sufficient height you could be dragging your dingy in the water every time you leave the dock. We used a product called "Starboard" a UV stabilized plastic that replaces marine plywood, to create blocks to get ours up an extra 3" for our RIB dingy. Also on your Ciera is the swim-grid built-in or added on to the transom?
If built-in you may have to install extender plates as you may not be able to secure the Weavers to the edge. Weavers are a good product but pricey (but hey its for a boat). Good luck with the install.

"Sandhopper" 1995 Bayliner 2858 repowered 2011 5.7 L MAG MPI Mercruiser with Bravo leg - Riverhouse Marina - DIYC - Delta, BC

Installing Weaver Davits on My 1997 Bayliner 2655 Ciera 28 Aug 2017 06:41 #4

• johnnyc61
  • johnnyc61's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
My swim platform is molded into the boat. I did a little research & found these hook extenders you use to give more Height. Also do I have to Drill Holes all the way through the platform to get Bolts in?? I believe you use 2" bolt/screws for swim platform? I just dont want to do any unnecessary Damage to boat. And also, about how long does it take to complete job. both boat & Dinghy?? Thanks for your help....First time installing davits...I rather save money & do it myself but might hire out if need be!

Installing Weaver Davits on My 1997 Bayliner 2655 Ciera 28 Aug 2017 14:42 #5

• jongleur
  • Thank you received: 3

1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
7.4 Mercruiser
Still learning about other systems
and specs.

Installing Weaver Davits on My 1997 Bayliner 2655 Ciera 30 Aug 2017 00:57 #6

• carguy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
The hardest part is gluing the pads to the RIB. See what a dealer would charge, it might be worth it.

Doug
Hanging Loose
98 Carver 350 Mariner
2013-
KRUSTY KRAB
2001 305
5.7 BII
2006-2013

Installing Weaver Davits on My 1997 Bayliner 2655 Ciera 01 Sep 2017 15:47 #7

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

carguy wrote: The hardest part is gluing the pads to the RIB. See what a dealer would charge, it might be worth it.

He has a Livingston, its a fiberglass dinghy.

Installing Weaver Davits on My 1997 Bayliner 2655 Ciera 01 Sep 2017 15:53 #8

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

johnnyc61 wrote: My swim platform is molded into the boat. I did a little research & found these hook extenders you use to give more Height. Also do I have to Drill Holes all the way through the platform to get Bolts in?? I believe you use 2" bolt/screws for swim platform? I just dont want to do any unnecessary Damage to boat. And also, about how long does it take to complete job. both boat & Dinghy?? Thanks for your help....First time installing davits...I rather save money & do it myself but might hire out if need be!

You need to use bolts, nuts, and washers. A lot of strain is put on those brackets, especially when the boat is rocking around.
Make sure you look inside your transom so you don't drill into anything important. Also want to make sure you can get a nut, washer, and wrench in there. Mine was very easy because I had a standard swim platform.

Also consider which side you board the boat from when you're tied to a dock or moored at your slip. I mounted mine with the bow to the dock since the stand-off for that side would be disconnected most of the time. I felt that the stand-off mounted to the transom of the Livingston was much stronger so that is the one I wanted to leave hooked up all the time..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Garchar

Installing Weaver Davits on My 1997 Bayliner 2655 Ciera 01 Sep 2017 16:02 #9

• aluxury1
  • Thank you received: 22
Every 288/2858 I have seen has the 4" lift davits on the swim step. You can do this job, use nuts and bolts, stainless of course. Measure twice, drill once. :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Garchar

Brett
2001 Ciera 2858 EC
2007 Mercruiser D'Tronic 250
Sane people, tossing good money into a hole in the water!

Installing Weaver Davits on My 1997 Bayliner 2655 Ciera 03 Sep 2017 14:14 #10

• carguy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20

green650 wrote:

carguy wrote: The hardest part is gluing the pads to the RIB. See what a dealer would charge, it might be worth it.

He has a Livingston, its a fiberglass dinghy.

My bad. Should have read it a bit more carefully.

Doug
Hanging Loose
98 Carver 350 Mariner
2013-
KRUSTY KRAB
2001 305
5.7 BII
2006-2013

Installing Weaver Davits on My 1997 Bayliner 2655 Ciera 04 Sep 2017 20:41 #11

• Glasply1
  • 2007 288 Command Bridge
  • Thank you received: 17
Weaver makes transom hooks that are flush, 2", 3" and 4" lift so you might not need to use "blocks". Just figure out the rise you need to get dinghy up and not dragging and order the appropriate hooks.

2007 288 Discovery Command Bridge
Tacoma, WA
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds