Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Trailer backup assist on new trucks

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 26 Aug 2017 02:48 #26

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 122
All I can say, is that there is some very, very high-tech stuff being developed..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 26 Aug 2017 17:41 #27

• makonnen
  • Thank you received: 4

Rick Kenyon wrote:

makonnen wrote: You know, I'd love to participate in a trailer backing competition. Or a boat launching competition, that would be fun!

Agreed. I think we've all seen the videos of the launch ramp funnies. Yeah, they are funnies but eventually get real tiresome. I'm not against anyone doing what they want, but if you don't know how to drive a truck and trailer, or boat, or RV or whatever, get someone who does know how to do it to teach you. That's my biggest gripe. You can buy and drive a 40 foot class A RV with no training but you need a commercial CDL to drive a truck that large. Not that you shouldn't need the truck experience or training, but you should also need some level of training to drive a class A motor home.

....or conversely, if you don't need some amount of training and proficiency testing to operate a class A RV, then you shouldn't need it to operate a 40 foot commercial truck either. Just sayin....

Well I launch mostly out of Rocky Point in Port Moody BC. They turned this into a really nice public park with scooped ice cream, playground, splash park, swimming pool, picnic area and a restaurant suitable for yuppies. There are always these families and young people on dates watching us launch and recover. You know I'm landing on youtube as soon as I mess up!

I've always thought that there are many boat safety and navigation courses you can take. But no one to teach you how to launch and recover properly. It can be pretty tricky especially on a larger boat that you are launching alone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andorah

1998 Bayliner Ciera 2655, 5.7 BIII

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 26 Aug 2017 18:39 #28

• makonnen

Shameful.

Submit your man-card for shredding if you use this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobMick

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 26 Aug 2017 20:48 #29

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147

makonnen wrote: Shameful.

LOL! I agree!

I'd never use it because I don't have the patience to go that slow. That's scary.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 26 Aug 2017 21:12 #30

• bobeast
  • Thank you received: 0
If you can't rough hew your own logs to build your home, you ought not live in a house. History is full of new innovations that render a particular skill obsolete. I don't measure my manhood by such things. I'm over it.

Last Edit: by bobeast.

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 26 Aug 2017 21:18 #31

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

bobeast wrote: If you can't rough hew your own logs to build your home, you ought not live in a house. History is full of new innovations that render a particular skill obsolete. I don't measure my manhood by such things. I'm over it.

Well, that humor ain't lost on me! ORH! ORH! ORH!!! *pounds chest*

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
TDI tech diver
Kevin

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 26 Aug 2017 21:21 #32

• makonnen

bobeast wrote: If you can't rough hew your own logs to build your home, you ought not live in a house. History is full of new innovations that render a particular skill obsolete. I don't measure my manhood by such things. I'm over it.

mancard pls.

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 27 Aug 2017 00:26 #33

• Redwngr
  • Thank you received: 6

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 30 Aug 2017 01:07 #34

• carguy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20

TPerk274 wrote:

Same scenario with winter driving...took her to the school with my 4-wheel drive truck after a 4" snowfall before they'd plowed one weekend. Had her drive it around in 4-wheel, then 2-wheel drive for a good long time, making tight turns and donuts and showing her how to avoid and recover from slips and spins. The following Monday I saw the Principal (who I knew pretty well) and he said he saw some "idiot" doing donuts in his parking lot when he drove by on the interstate. I told him I was the idiot and why. He thought about it and said he was going to do the same with his daughter the next year when she started driving.

Hey Tperk, had to hijack the thread. I saw the lake in your sig. I grew up in Mass, spent all my summers in Maine with my grandparents. We had friends around the block in Lexington who were Canadian and had a place in Magog. We'd leave Maine for a week and hang out with them. This was back in the 60's. What a beautiful lake that is. I remember they had a 16 foot speed boat with a six cyl white head Merc 100 hanging on the back. When you could get it to run, it was absolutely terrifying. They called it the ZOT which I think was French Canadian slang for 'holy crap'.

Doug
Hanging Loose
98 Carver 350 Mariner
2013-
KRUSTY KRAB
2001 305
5.7 BII
2006-2013

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 01 Sep 2017 10:50 #35

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
Just another gadget for those Gen? 'ers. Try that when you can not see the end of the trailer. Backing a trailer is not rocket science, even in tight spots. That's what mirrors are for. If your not sure use the G.O.A.L concept....GET OUT AND LOOK. ...BTW we have a back up camera on our 2014 Dodge Durango and love it. One bad thing is when pulling a trailer you have to disable it as the mirrors fold down when backing. I'm all in on helpful technology, but this is just a gimmic!

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 01 Sep 2017 14:01 #36

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382

makonnen wrote:

Shameful.

I already turned mine in when I bought a Prius.

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 01 Sep 2017 14:08 #37

• TPerk274
  • Thank you received: 7

carguy wrote:

TPerk274 wrote: Hey Tperk, had to hijack the thread. I saw the lake in your sig. I grew up in Mass, spent all my summers in Maine with my grandparents. We had friends around the block in Lexington who were Canadian and had a place in Magog.

Hey Doug.....thanks. It is a very beautiful spot, and relatively quiet on the water most of the time. My wife's cousin has a 20 footer with an 8-cylinder engine. You can hear it for miles when he's got it really going.....of course he can't go far given the amount of gas it sucks down at high speed.

Lake Memphremagog, Newport, VT
2015 Bayliner 175 BR
Mercruiser 135/3.0 MPI Alpha One

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 01 Sep 2017 14:56 #38

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551

FISHIN00 wrote: Just another gadget for those Gen? 'ers. Try that when you can not see the end of the trailer. Backing a trailer is not rocket science, even in tight spots. That's what mirrors are for. If your not sure use the G.O.A.L concept....GET OUT AND LOOK. ...BTW we have a back up camera on our 2014 Dodge Durango and love it. One bad thing is when pulling a trailer you have to disable it as the mirrors fold down when backing. I'm all in on helpful technology, but this is just a gimmic!

Make a judgement AFTER you have used the new technology, not before.

Gimmicks by definition sound cool but don't work. By all accounts, Ford's technology DOES work.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 01 Sep 2017 15:15 #39

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 606

Download_Complete wrote:

FISHIN00 wrote: Just another gadget for those Gen? 'ers. Try that when you can not see the end of the trailer. Backing a trailer is not rocket science, even in tight spots. That's what mirrors are for. If your not sure use the G.O.A.L concept....GET OUT AND LOOK. ...BTW we have a back up camera on our 2014 Dodge Durango and love it. One bad thing is when pulling a trailer you have to disable it as the mirrors fold down when backing. I'm all in on helpful technology, but this is just a gimmic!

Gimmicks by definition sound cool but don't work. By all accounts, Ford's technology DOES work.

+1

I applaud Ford for introducing this. In the long run it may be a feature that becomes popular and is copied by others, or it is quietly dropped from the option list and no longer seen.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 01 Sep 2017 15:29 #40

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166

Download_Complete wrote:

Try that when a box trailer or a boat is blocking the camera view. I've put 53,48,40 and 28 Foot semi trailers along with boat and camping trailers into some very tight spots, even blindside. Looking at the video and commercials. I feel this is a gimmick to appeal to unknowing buyers.

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 01 Sep 2017 15:35 #41

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I'm in favor of it, but ONLY If it speeds up those idiots in front of me who have no clue how to back a trailer down a ramp.

TDI tech diver
Kevin
Last Edit: by CptCrunchie.

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 01 Sep 2017 15:56 #42

• aluxury1
  • Thank you received: 22
Well this subject sure brought out the WIDE diversity of ideas about the past and the future of boating styles and life. It's America! Where else do we have the opportunity to discuss and scrutinize so many options of getting your boats in the water? With as many choices as we have to consider, involving regions, skill levels, dedicated finances, travel distances and varied comfort levels of all of these choices, some may not get it 100% right every time. (I like to call that, living by doing. Not preaching.) I cannot tell you that I have never stopped by the boat launch on a Saturday afternoon to witness a comedy show. I can tell you, if every boat outing went perfect as planned I would find another expensive hobby. The adventures require critical thinking, endurance, team work, calculating, Macgyvering, and many other disciplines, otherwise its just a commute.

As a whole, we are not here to build a consensus, and decide what is the "right way" but to add to each others library of reference. In 35 years, the people that I have come in contact with while boating and business ventures in the marine industry, are the most trustworthy, friendly, and outgoing people as a group. Celebrate the exchange of ideas, take from them what you want.

Brett
2001 Ciera 2858 EC
2007 Mercruiser D'Tronic 250
Sane people, tossing good money into a hole in the water!

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 01 Sep 2017 16:18 #43

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

FISHIN00 wrote:

Download_Complete wrote:

Try that when a box trailer or a boat is blocking the camera view. I've put 53,48,40 and 28 Foot semi trailers along with boat and camping trailers into some very tight spots, even blindside. Looking at the video and commercials. I feel this is a gimmick to appeal to unknowing buyers.

1. Technology is intended to improve upon the skills you may already have. Like looking where you are going.
2. I may be wrong but I know the technology exists where a backup camera can be mounted to the trailer crossmember and Bluetooth'd into the vehicle. I am about 75% sure Ford's backup trailer tech has this capability, right now. So you not only see behind the vehicle but behind the trailer too, and the software can compensate for it.
3. Trailering a boat is intimidating for new customers. New customers are vital to the continuation of our sport. Therefore, I am all in favor of technology (ANY technology) that improves the ownership experience.

You are seeing this now on Volvo Penta's new stern drive engines that can be drained with a push of a button and winterized. (Seriously...look up Easy Drain). Standard closed cooling, too.

Rant on:

Folks, this fear of new technology is pervasive in the boating world, and it really needs to stop. I recall when EFI was new, and nobody wanted it in boats because "carbs are easier to fix!". Well guess what....fuel injection doesn't need "fixing" as much as carbs do.

You also see this with the new generation of V6 engines taking over from the carb'd 5.0s and 5.7s we used to have. There is a small but vocal group of people deriding these engines because "there's no possible way a V6 can produce the power of a V8", as if they know more somehow than the engineers who designed and tested these engines to the Nth degree. I used to be one of them. I wanted a V8 in my boat until i tried one of the new V6s in a Bayliner, and was literally thrown back into the seat when I hit the throttle, popped the engine hatch, and saw how easy it was to maintain.

If you're opinionated enough to trash this new technology in a public forum, you should be interested enough to at least try it and see how it works. Then you have credibility to form and maintain an opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Norton Rider

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 01 Sep 2017 17:02 #44

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Download_Complete wrote: Folks, this fear of new technology.....

Not sure if it is a fear, as a resentment that people don't need to use their brain when technology can do it for them. There's also the idea that learning how to do something seemingly difficult is a growth development opportunity for the brain. With this comes a certain pride of accomplishment that certain technology denies.

I live with a love technology, but sometimes I wish some of it didn't exist, ....especially when it fails.

TDI tech diver
Kevin

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 01 Sep 2017 17:12 #45

• Johnny Vintage
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 104
TOTALLY MINT!!!

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 01 Sep 2017 17:17 #46

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Download_Complete wrote: 3. Trailering a boat is intimidating for new customers. New customers are vital to the continuation of our sport. Therefore, I am all in favor of technology (ANY technology) that improves the ownership experience.

While this is a bit of a stretch, here is one of my favorite movie quotes. This one is from Jurassic Pack, where Malcom is talking about technology. Though that technology is far more damaging than this topic, I believe his point is well made.

Dr. Ian Malcolm: If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it.

....especially when it fails or accidentally kills someone. A back-up camera will never replace someone standing behind the trailer looking out.

TDI tech diver
Kevin

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 01 Sep 2017 17:18 #47

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

CptCrunchie wrote:

Download_Complete wrote: Folks, this fear of new technology.....

Not sure if it is a fear, as a resentment that people don't need to use their brain when technology can do it for them. There's also the idea that learning how to do something seemingly difficult is a growth development opportunity for the brain. With this comes a certain pride of accomplishment that certain technology denies.

I live with a love technology, but sometimes I wish some of it didn't exist, ....especially when it fails.

Once upon a time, someone used this very same argument against these new fangled self-propelled vehicles.

I believe in making intimidating and accident-prone tasks easier through technology, especially if it means getting new people into a sport that is REALLY sick right now.

I also don't believe in passing judgement against something until I try it. And while it won't replace a spotter, it WILL add another layer of safety and security....and might make someone's life easier in those times when a spotter is not available.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL
Last Edit: by Download_Complete.

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 01 Sep 2017 17:26 #48

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Download_Complete wrote: I also don't believe in passing judgement against something until I try it. And while it won't replace a spotter, it WILL add another layer of safety and security....and might make someone's life easier in those times when a spotter is not available.

But I also believe that some technology removes that safety. You are talking about adding another layer, and I'm saying people will rely solely on it. There is a huge difference.

TDI tech diver
Kevin

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 01 Sep 2017 17:39 #49

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

CptCrunchie wrote:

Download_Complete wrote: I also don't believe in passing judgement against something until I try it. And while it won't replace a spotter, it WILL add another layer of safety and security....and might make someone's life easier in those times when a spotter is not available.

But I also believe that some technology removes that safety. You are talking about adding another layer, and I'm saying people will rely solely on it. There is a huge difference.

While that is a fair point, it's also something that could be leveled at cars with backup cameras. Which are about to be required by law on all cars. And anti lock brakes. And stability control. And autonomous braking. And lane departure warning. All tech that is on new cars now.

FUrther, my 2016 Accord's backup camera is a fisheye lens, with a 180 degree view at the bumper level. I see everything, and it's saved me from backing into a pedestrian or two even AFTER I turned around and looked behind me, thanks to sight lines.

Again, you need to take responsibility, but adding a layer of safety is NEVER a bad thing.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Trailer backup assist on new trucks 01 Sep 2017 17:48 #50

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 606
I yearn for the days of...
Navigating a boat using pilotage, dead reckoning, and celestial navigation only
Motorola flip phones
Tubed car tires
No internet
Etc...

;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vic Stewart

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds