Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?...

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 04 Sep 2017 18:05 #26

• Glasply1
  • 2007 288 Command Bridge
  • Thank you received: 17
I'd be very careful towing a boat with any canvas up other than the "trailer covers" you see held on with straps which go under the boat to the other side on smaller boats. When we had our 288 professionally moved they wanted all canvas off AND the flybridge windscreen saying the latter was not designed to stay on at freeway speed! We had a snapped on mooring cover come flying off a ski boat we were towing some years ago. Happens in an instant with no warning. Fortunately no one else was on the road, or it might have been very bad (yes, we made a u-turn and went back to get it).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2007 288 Discovery Command Bridge
Tacoma, WA

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 07 Sep 2017 04:22 #27

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 805

C-NUMB wrote:

builderdude wrote: I like the sun to much to consider a hard top on mine. Been contiplating a removeable/stowable canvas awnig though, something I can actually stand under without rubbing my head on and fold/roll up when I want sunshine in the cockpit as in always. Something similar to this but mounted further up.

I like this design, would love to have one. One concern though, how much would it affect moving from cockpit to the bow(would i hit my head in it...) ?

The one in the photo appeers to be attached to the stainless rail above the cabin door, that'll be somewhere in the 6'+ range. I'd like one to be raised up another 4-5" (additional rail added) to increase the headroom in the cockpit and additional rails added for hand grabs and one across the back for my rod holders too

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 07 Sep 2017 04:44 #28

• Castaway
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I have an aftermarket hard top on my 2858. It has a slightly smaller cockpit than the 2556, but the design and attach points should be about the same. I'll post some pictures this weekend. My boat came with it. It's nice to have when it's raining and I occasionally with throw something lightweight on top, but I don't think having it is worth it vs a canvas top. It's just too much weight where you don't want more weight. The kids enjoy using it as a diving platform.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Bryan
1997 2858 7.4 B2
1992 Hewescraft
Puyallup, WA

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 07 Sep 2017 18:55 #29

• C-NUMB
  • Thank you received: 2

builderdude wrote:

C-NUMB wrote:

builderdude wrote: I like the sun to much to consider a hard top on mine. Been contiplating a removeable/stowable canvas awnig though, something I can actually stand under without rubbing my head on and fold/roll up when I want sunshine in the cockpit as in always. Something similar to this but mounted further up.

I like this design, would love to have one. One concern though, how much would it affect moving from cockpit to the bow(would i hit my head in it...) ?

The one in the photo appeers to be attached to the stainless rail above the cabin door, that'll be somewhere in the 6'+ range. I'd like one to be raised up another 4-5" (additional rail added) to increase the headroom in the cockpit and additional rails added for hand grabs and one across the back for my rod holders too

Sounds like a good plan. Think the additional protection would also be beneficial for the teak wall, looks like there are some potential and actual leaks when exposed to the rain. I am thinking about some kind of a semi permanent frame that can be covered wit a canvas or left without. But maybe should first finish the other pending projects .....

Bayliner 2556 1990 project
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds