Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?...

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 16 Aug 2017 05:18 #1

• Centerline2
  • Centerline2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 35
I want a hardtop over the cockpit of my 2556 and before fabricating one out of aluminum tubing and skinned over, i was hoping to see what a factory or aftermarket one looked like installed... and how the transition from the hardtop to the flybridge deck was made.
is there a door thru the hardtop to access the flybridge, or is the hole just left open with a canvas cover over it? thanks for any suggestions or photos...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1989 Bayliner 2556, 5.7 OMC Cobra

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 17 Aug 2017 13:11 #2

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
I know that you mentioned "Hard Top"...... which would involve vertical tubing and either an aluminum or a fiberglass deck affair.
Be careful with the amount of weight and change to the center-of-gravity that this will create.

Bayliner deliberately made the 2556 F/B smaller due to the old 2750 Vicky issues.
The 2556 could also easily become top heavy.

What about a canvas top?

img.scgpix.com/listimg/img1_0915/05/img_lImmbgU5MD.jpg

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 17 Aug 2017 14:18 #3

• talman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Look for us in the San Juans
  • Thank you received: 120
I've seen a few that look nice. If the sticker is still there, the safe load on the flybridge is only 300lbs. Of course we have cruised with 4 people up there, which exceeds 300 lbs, which was fine in good conditions. A hard top would get you close to that, plus people.
I did see a very well done canvas over tubes that looked like a hard top

Tally and Vicki
"Wickus" Meridian 341
MMSI 338014939

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 17 Aug 2017 14:54 #4

• mgm1986
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 34

talman wrote: I've seen a few that look nice. If the sticker is still there, the safe load on the flybridge is only 300lbs. Of course we have cruised with 4 people up there, which exceeds 300 lbs, which was fine in good conditions. A hard top would get you close to that, plus people.

Hey Talman,

On my 2556 the sticker says 500lb limit on the flybridge. Wasn't sure if this changed through the years though, mine is a 1990.

Following this thread here as I am definitely interested in getting a canvas top for the rear cockpit!

Joel
South Jersey
1990 2556 - Cabin Fever (purchased 11/21/2015)
1968 Plymouth Fury III Convertible (My other boat!)
2001 Chevy S10 ZR2

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 17 Aug 2017 16:30 #5

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 806
I like the sun to much to consider a hard top on mine. Been contiplating a removeable/stowable canvas awnig though, something I can actually stand under without rubbing my head on and fold/roll up when I want sunshine in the cockpit as in always. Something similar to this but mounted further up.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556
Last Edit: by builderdude.

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 18 Aug 2017 14:50 #6

• Bartman
  • Thank you received: 17
I have a 2850 flybridge and also wanted a cover for the cockpit. I didn't want to spend 1k to have a custom cover made. I went on Amazon and bought a bimini top that was "96-"103 wide. I used self engineering and a hacksaw and drill to fit it to my liking. All for $200 and about 3 hrs of time. The tubing is easy to cut and the mounts can placed in a variety of places.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgm1986

Owner 1984 Bayliner 2850 Contessa Command Bridge. Volvo Penta 260
On Seneca Lake - Finger Lakes Wine Country

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 18 Aug 2017 15:09 #7

• Centerline2

2850Bounty wrote: I know that you mentioned "Hard Top"...... which would involve vertical tubing and either an aluminum or a fiberglass deck affair.
Be careful with the amount of weight and change to the center-of-gravity that this will create.

Bayliner deliberately made the 2556 F/B smaller due to the old 2750 Vicky issues.
The 2556 could also easily become top heavy.

What about a canvas top?

img.scgpix.com/listimg/img1_0915/05/img_lImmbgU5MD.jpg

I know a boat such as this could become top heavy, and that is why i believe a 50-80lb aluminum top would be a much better choice than a 200lb fiberglass unit... I dont want it to cover the entire deck, but only about 2/3rds the way to the stern... this will allow for some open area overhead when fishing, but allow the cabin door to remain open if its raining a bit.. and a simpler canvas plan to enclose it all.

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 18 Aug 2017 15:16 #8

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"

Centerline2 wrote: I dont want it to cover the entire deck, but only about 2/3rds the way to the stern... this will allow for some open area overhead when fishing, but allow the cabin door to remain open if its raining a bit.. and a simpler canvas plan to enclose it all.

The exact reason I like the idea of the canvas awning ;)

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 18 Aug 2017 15:20 #9

• Bartman
  • Thank you received: 17
That was the point of my post. You buy a bimini top cheap and they are easy to modify to fit your needs. Mine was 6ft in length and covered the entire cockpit. You can get them various lengths. Buy a tall one, you can modify height with a hacksaw. It will all fold up and out of the way if needed at anytime also.

Owner 1984 Bayliner 2850 Contessa Command Bridge. Volvo Penta 260
On Seneca Lake - Finger Lakes Wine Country

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 18 Aug 2017 15:21 #10

• Centerline2

talman wrote: I've seen a few that look nice. If the sticker is still there, the safe load on the flybridge is only 300lbs. Of course we have cruised with 4 people up there, which exceeds 300 lbs, which was fine in good conditions. A hard top would get you close to that, plus people.

they may have revised the sticker on later models for safety reasons, but my '89 still has the 500lb safe load rating sticker.... not that this means it is any more stable than the later models, but at one time bayliner thought it should be able to support 500lbs without the boat rolling over... and there are always safety thresholds factored in to any posted weight rating, so it may be that bayliner decided the safety threshold wasnt enough at a 500lb safe working load..

Last Edit: by Centerline2.

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 18 Aug 2017 15:53 #11

• Centerline2

builderdude wrote:

Centerline2 wrote: I dont want it to cover the entire deck, but only about 2/3rds the way to the stern... this will allow for some open area overhead when fishing, but allow the cabin door to remain open if its raining a bit.. and a simpler canvas plan to enclose it all.

The exact reason I like the idea of the canvas awning ;)

the canvas awning in the photo you posted looks great, and may be a good option for us, and still be able to be stowed away...
I have a full cockpit "camper" enclosure, but its not what we want or need for the way we use the boat,... but my thoughts were, with a hardtop, canvas side curtains would be much more simple to make and install and much more secure when installed,,, and the same with a back-drop canvas for when the boat is put away or being towed in bad weather....
we had another boat a few years ago that had no back enclosure, and we left oregon one december and headed for arizona with it, and when we stopped for the night near reno, the entire cockpit was covered in the red colored road sand dust and particles from the road spray that had been sucked in while traveling over the passes.... it could have been prevented with an enclosure.
the full enclosure that we currently have for our 2556 is more difficult to install and remove and doesnt stow well on the boat. so im trying to come up with something better, and because I have the skills and tools to fabricate with aluminum and stainless, and also do my own canvas work, I think I can come up with something better than is most common on most boats because of the cost... the cost of the aluminum material is less than $300, of which i have most of it in my drop/scrap pile.
and I believe the cost of quality canvas and vinyl window material will be about the same.... the fab and assembly will amount to 10-15 hours, with another 6-8hrs canvas work... so a $5500 dollar custom deck covering could be mine for less than $800 and a bit of labor-of-love..... but that canvas overhang looks tempting.

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 19 Aug 2017 01:15 #12

• talman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Of course you are right. 500 lbs. is what is was rated.
My post is still pertinent.

Tally and Vicki
"Wickus" Meridian 341
MMSI 338014939

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 22 Aug 2017 15:37 #13

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"

Centerline2 wrote: the canvas awning in the photo you posted looks great, and may be a good option for us, and still be able to be stowed away...
I have a full cockpit "camper" enclosure, but its not what we want or need for the way we use the boat,...
the full enclosure that we currently have for our 2556 is more difficult to install and remove and doesnt stow well on the boat.

I hear ya on that, took my camper enclosure off prior to the first trip out of the season, it hasn't seen the boat since. I've been using it for more of a winter cover :silly:

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
Last Edit: by builderdude.

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 25 Aug 2017 23:20 #14

• talman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Leta's made my replacement camper back. She had modified the pattern to include zip-outs on both sides and in the back. If I put on the top, no sides, it was a very nice sunshade. I could fold it like a bimini against the flybridge stairs if I wanted sun. In a wind, one side up took the wind off the cockpit. In a hard storm, I loved sitting in the cockpit with a book and a beverage watching the weather in my sun room.
Leta made a matching sunbrella curtain for my head and the cover for the door when I showered. She also made a black cover for the front cabin window that blended in perfectly with the black frames.
I loved the sunbrella camper back she made because of it's versatility. They vinyl crap that came with the boat was a pain in the ass, but I used it as a winter cover until I could no longer stitch openings back together (don't need zippers for a winter cover)
Then it was trash, but I got a lot of winters out of that POS vinyl.

Tally and Vicki
"Wickus" Meridian 341
MMSI 338014939

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 26 Aug 2017 00:52 #15

• CptCrunchie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147

Centerline2 wrote: they may have revised the sticker on later models for safety reasons, but my '89 still has the 500lb safe load rating sticker.... not that this means it is any more stable than the later models, but at one time bayliner thought it should be able to support 500lbs without the boat rolling over... and there are always safety thresholds factored in to any posted weight rating, so it may be that bayliner decided the safety threshold wasnt enough at a 500lb safe working load..

I'm fairly sure that 500lbs of people standing in the flybridge doesn't effect the boats center of gravity, where adding a 200lb fiberglass top over their heads does. If it were to roll, the people would move or shift and the boat would likely recover, where a heavy top will help it lay over.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 26 Aug 2017 12:00 #16

• Solandri
  • Thank you received: 38

CptCrunchie wrote: I'm fairly sure that 500lbs of people standing in the flybridge doesn't effect the boats center of gravity, where adding a 200lb fiberglass top over their heads does. If it were to roll, the people would move or shift and the boat would likely recover, where a heavy top will help it lay over.

The number which matters is the weight x distance from roll axis. If you figure the roll axis is at the waterline, then the center of gravity of people sitting up there would be about 8 feet up, while a hardtop (with standing room) would be about 13 feet up. So a 200 pound hardtop (weight of the top) would be equivalent to 325 pounds of a seated person. Since there are no seat belts, people shifting from a roll actually makes it worse, as they will slide to the downward size, increasing the moment arm and exacerbating the roll. A lot of ships have sunk because of cargo shift like this.

I'm planning to eventually put a folding bimini top on mine. I would not do a hardtop because it would make the boat un-trailerable. The top of the ladder rail on my 2556 is about 12' 6" above the ground when on the trailer. That's the standard height for a tractor trailer. Most bridges and overpasses are designed with at least 13' 6" of clearance. Adding a hard top will put you well above 15' (and probably closer to 17'), which will be too tall for the vast majority of overpasses.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CptCrunchie

1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 26 Aug 2017 22:16 #17

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
Guys, OP is considering the hardtop over the cockpit not the flybridge :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Centerline2

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 27 Aug 2017 02:23 #18

• CptCrunchie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147

builderdude wrote: Guys, OP is considering the hardtop over the cockpit not the flybridge :whistle:

Ummmmmmm..... *looks around* ....¿No hablo inglés? :side:

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 27 Aug 2017 09:43 #19

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
Solandri, a minor correction: a standard 53' commercial box trailer height is 13'6", and most overpass/bridge clearances are 15 ft.:)

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010
Last Edit: by Jeffw.

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 27 Aug 2017 12:52 #20

• Chief Alen
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
I would take that as fact coming from Jeff.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 31 Aug 2017 21:53 #21

• jrr4948
  • Thank you received: 8
Food for thought - not sure what you have for power but adding a few hundred pounds to the stern of a 2556 with a 5.7 makes it very difficult to get on plane without 38-4000 RPMS. I have had 4 big guys in the stern and could not get it on plane without someone moving to the bow. You may want to reconsider canvas verses a hard top for this reason unless you have the 7.4. The 2556 is big for a 25 but still a fairly small boat.

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 01 Sep 2017 02:23 #22

• Centerline2
the difference being, I dont want a 200lb hardtop over the heads of 500lbs of people standing on the fly bridge. I would like a 75lb aluminum hardtop over the forward half or 2/3rds of the cockpit area...
fiberglass is sturdy, but I can build much quicker and nicer with aluminum than I can fiberglass, when starting from scratch....

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 01 Sep 2017 02:28 #23

• Centerline2

Jeffw wrote: Solandri, a minor correction: a standard 53' commercial box trailer height is 13'6", and most overpass/bridge clearances are 15 ft.:)

....with 14ft being the max legal height without a specially routed trip permit...

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 01 Sep 2017 02:39 #24

• Centerline2

jrr4948 wrote: Food for thought - not sure what you have for power but adding a few hundred pounds to the stern of a 2556 with a 5.7 makes it very difficult to get on plane without 38-4000 RPMS. I have had 4 big guys in the stern and could not get it on plane without someone moving to the bow. You may want to reconsider canvas verses a hard top for this reason unless you have the 7.4. The 2556 is big for a 25 but still a fairly small boat.

all due respect to all replies, but doesnt anyone think outside the box?... that maybe there is another material to build with other than fiberglass?... which I will agree is heavy if you want it sturdy.
for about 100lbs, I could build an aluminum hardtop over the entire cockpit that would support an entire party of people on top of it... but I will never have a party of people on my hardtop, in fact I dont want anyone on it, so I wont have to build it that strong, so it could be designed and built at much less than 100lbs.... and it would still be strong enough to hold a few crab pots up out of the way....

any 2556 owners have a hardtop over the cockpit?... 04 Sep 2017 17:09 #25

• C-NUMB
  • Thank you received: 2

builderdude wrote: I like the sun to much to consider a hard top on mine. Been contiplating a removeable/stowable canvas awnig though, something I can actually stand under without rubbing my head on and fold/roll up when I want sunshine in the cockpit as in always. Something similar to this but mounted further up.

I like this design, would love to have one. One concern though, how much would it affect moving from cockpit to the bow(would i hit my head in it...) ?

Bayliner 2556 1990 project
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds