Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 60HP Merc just not enough for Element

60HP Merc just not enough for Element 07 Aug 2017 14:51 #1

• RobFLA
  • RobFLA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Please, if you have a different or same experience, post a reply..........

I would like to express for anyone looking to buy....the 60HP Merc is NOT the best choice for the Element 16' boats, even though they sell it as the standard motor for it. If you have 4 or 5 people in the boat there is HUGE problems with the boat picking up speed. Almost never gets up on plane or even past 8 to 10 miles per hour speed. That's at Full Throttle. With 1 to 3 people it usually gets going fairly good, but otherwise it's like it's bogged down almost everytime. You have to shift people around to try and get it going.

If I would have known this would happen at purchase time, I would have just upgraded to the 90hp. Very disappointing. We've been dealing with it for 2.5 years and have also had it into the dealer 2 times about it, but have come to realize it's just a small motor issue vs weight, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

60HP Merc just not enough for Element 07 Aug 2017 15:18 #2

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 964

RobFLA wrote: Please, if you have a different or same experience, post a reply..........

I would like to express for anyone looking to buy....the 60HP Merc is NOT the best choice for the Element 16' boats, even though they sell it as the standard motor for it. If you have 4 or 5 people in the boat there is HUGE problems with the boat picking up speed. Almost never gets up on plane or even past 8 to 10 miles per hour speed. That's at Full Throttle. With 1 to 3 people it usually gets going fairly good, but otherwise it's like it's bogged down almost everytime. You have to shift people around to try and get it going.

If I would have known this would happen at purchase time, I would have just upgraded to the 90hp. Very disappointing. We've been dealing with it for 2.5 years and have also had it into the dealer 2 times about it, but have come to realize it's just a small motor issue vs weight, etc.

I would agree with this as well. And if you are going to take out 4 to 5 full sized people out often and do not want to be shifting weight around then the 16' boat size may bot be for you either. Does not really matter what make the boat is either as the weight spread over a smaller area (smaller boat) with limited hp makes for a much more limited boating experience.
Best to research and test drive carefully for your intended usage.

Northport NY

60HP Merc just not enough for Element 07 Aug 2017 16:53 #3

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
  • Thank you received: 92
The title "60 HP Merc just not enough for Element" is a bit misleading.
I have the 60 HP Bigfoot and it serves my purpose. It's just me and the wife with the occasional passenger. However, for your purpose, you probably need more HP. That's why I always say, buy to serve YOUR needs and budget. The Element 16, 60HP is a great fit for some and not so much for others. It's just not the right fit for you.
I'm not sure if you should upgrade to a 90HP or trade in for a more appropriate boat.
Good luck and hope you find the right fit for your needs. It's no fun being on the water in a boat that you are not happy with.

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
12 foot aluminum fishing boat
Last Edit: by oakplank.

60HP Merc just not enough for Element 07 Aug 2017 18:23 #4

• fishbayers
  • Thank you received: 16
I thought 75hp was the maximum for the 16 foot Element. I don't think 90hp is an option.
Also, it sounds like this has been an issue since you purchased the boat. If so, this does not apply to you. If it has gotten worse, I would be suspicious of water in the sponsons.

• Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds