Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New member questions looking for boat

New member questions looking for boat 03 Aug 2017 19:38 #1

• Petehdgs
  • Petehdgs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
We are looking for a trailerable boat suitable for boat camping a few days at a time. Bayliner seems to have some boats in this class and we are looking for a boat 24 to 28 ft long with 8.5 ft beam so we can trailer it anywhere, sleep eat cook and bathe, and stay warm and dry during dreary weather if necessary. We want an older boat in good condition so we can see if this lifestyle works for us. Our intention is to cruise sections of the great loop, 100 miles or so at a time.

I have some questions about running out drives in shallow water. They hang down and are grounding hazards. It is my understanding that Volvo drives will kick up like an outboard does, but mercruisers do not. Is that correct?

We prefer the hard top types of boat as opposed to Bimini soft tops. This is partly because we have trees and feel the boat will be better protected from falling leaves and sticks. We also think they offer better protection from cold winds. Other than the 76-78 2550 Saratoga express or the 2350 Nasqually express, what models and designations should we be looking for?

Thanks in advance for your help.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Petehdgs.

New member questions looking for boat 03 Aug 2017 22:02 #2

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551
I would be looking strongly at the 2452/242/26X Ciera Hardtop. In later years they were called Discovery. They also made a wide beam 28 model called the 2859 and later 289 Discovery.

As for your outdrive concern, I would not be worried. Inboards are even more vulnerable to shallow water and cannot be trimmed up. If you hit something, most modern drives will "kick up" but expect major damage regardless. The workaround here is to invest in charts and a chartplotter if you intend to go long distances.

I feel the 1970s boats are too old for what you plan on doing and would recommend you move up to the 1990s hard tops. Bayliner also made some Trophy hard tops in the 1980s in 24 and 28 foot sizes.

I would also consider flybridge boats, as Bayliner almost always made those dual-station, meaning you can drive from in-cabin or from up above. You will broaden your search if you consider those.

IN short, Bayliner has a ton of boats for you to choose from. I suggest you start looking around to see if you can narrow down your requirements in terms of budget, age, size, power, etc.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

New member questions looking for boat 04 Aug 2017 03:20 #3

• JThiessen
  • Thank you received: 14
What he said....
'cept you should likely stay in the 24-26 range to accomodate your "trailer anywhere"

97 2859

New member questions looking for boat 04 Aug 2017 12:50 #4

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

Petehdgs wrote: .................. We want an older boat in good condition so we can see if this lifestyle works for us.

My advice would be to stay in the Pre-1987 range or look at later Bayliner boats after the OMC stern drives.
In other words, avoid the OMC stern drive models.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Vic Stewart

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

New member questions looking for boat 04 Aug 2017 13:26 #5

• Yendrabuilt
  • Thank you received: 4
I came up with a 1985, 2550 Cierra Sunbridge year and a half ago for $3200, although not a hardtop we have had a great time with overnights at the lake. We are able to trailer it back and forth with a 1998 Toyota Landcruiser 4.8 V8 wich is maxed out going up the hills to Horse Tooth Resivoir. Volvo Penta stern drive 260 HP, 350 Chevy. Having been in an automotive machinist for many years rebuilding and repairing the parts of the boat that have needed attention have been no problem. Any boat that is this old will need some work! Make sure the trailer is in road able condition, good tires, bearings, and brakes ours is about 7000Lb boat and trailer combined.

New member questions looking for boat 04 Aug 2017 14:02 #6

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382
What will you be towing it with?
If you don't already have a one ton truck, I would, and you don't plan to buy one, I would take 28 footers out of the list. They are pushing 10k pounds with trailer.
When you say bathe, do you want a shower in the cabin, or is hot water hose on the rear deck or swim step good enough?
I don't think any Bayliner 24 footers have an in cabin shower.
And what is your budget?
The older the boat, the more you will be tinkering vs. boating.

New member questions looking for boat 04 Aug 2017 14:09 #7

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551
Thew newer 2455 has a shower, the old 1980s ones do not.

That said, the 24 foot Trophy of the 1980s has a galley in the center cockpit, and if you got one with an Alaska Bulkhead, it enclosed that area with a fiberglass floor and drain. You could easily put a shower head on the galley sink and use that area to shower if you wanted to.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

New member questions looking for boat 04 Aug 2017 14:17 #8

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
A fly bridge boat wiuld be more difficult to pilot as it catches the wind much more.

Not sure if i agree or see any benefit with a hard too over a bimini in regards to leaves and sticks.. you lose the ability to go topless and have more views and sunshine if you want to.

Ive had an omc drive with no problems at all.
An older boat will likely take years of tinkering tonwork out all the kinks. I have an 89' 2655 and my 5th year here is finally my first "tinker free" season where incan hop in and enjoy.

I would consider selling my boat if your interested the trailer is brand new as well, putting in all new vinyls as we speak.

1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

New member questions looking for boat 04 Aug 2017 15:04 #9

• Petehdgs
What do I tow with? I have Ford F250 extended cabs. The 2004 is 4WD, has a V10 Gas and is rated for maximum trailer weight of 10,400 and GCVWR is 17,000 total. If the truck was fully loaded to 9000 lbs (it weighs 7500 +/- empty) it would still be rated for 8000 lbs. The diesels I have are all 2WD rated 9800 GVWR, 22,000 GCVWR, and weigh 9300 loaded with tools, so they can still tow 12,000 +/- on a trailer. I own a diesel generator repair business in Virginia and have 6 trucks in the fleet.

New member questions looking for boat 04 Aug 2017 15:27 #10

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Check out the Bayliner 2670. This is a heavily modified one:
www.google.com/amp/s/www.passagemaker.co...t-our-boat-in-half-2
But they look like cool little mini trawlers. I have never had one of these so I don't know how they handle. They usually can be found for a few thousand dollars, needing lots of work though. If you plan on doing lots of slow speed cruising, planing hulls get very annoying as they want to go left right left right left right when you are just cruising around at non-planning speeds.

New member questions looking for boat 04 Aug 2017 15:45 #11

• Special K
  • Thank you received: 28
1990 or newer 2655 with canvas right to the back. Great layout, will tow easily and lots of power with the Mercruiser 5.7. Avoid the 5.0 and anything OMC (that is why you go 90 and newer). Around here you can get a near mint one, fresh water on a trailer for around 12k. The canvas to the back doubles your floor space, great weekender and drives like a sport boat.

1990 2655 Mercruiser 5.7 Alpha One. Sold.
Current 1996 Cruisers Rogue 3175 Twin Volvo 5.7 Gi Duo Prop.
Last Edit: by Special K.

New member questions looking for boat 04 Aug 2017 15:53 #12

• Solandri
  • Thank you received: 38

businessgetmoney wrote: A fly bridge boat wiuld be more difficult to pilot as it catches the wind much more.

I'm not so sure on these older models, especially with a hard top and full esienglass or an Alaskan bulkhead. The windage area looks about the same, the difference being on the flybridge you can sit on top of the hard top, while with a sunbridge you sit underneath it. I would add that you can see everything around the boat from the flybridge, making it a lot easier to maneuver in tight spaces (as opposed to loss of ease of control due to windage).

The main concern I read with the 8.5 ft beam flybridge models is that they tend to be tippy with two people up top. I went with the 9.5 ft beam 2556 for this reason. (I would not recommend the wide beam models if you plan to tow it everywhere though.)

Not sure if i agree or see any benefit with a hard too over a bimini in regards to leaves and sticks.. you lose the ability to go topless and have more views and sunshine if you want to.

Yeah. It's mostly fisherman I see who want the hard top, so they can mount extra electronics and fishfinder screens to the ceiling. Or people in cold climates who want the Alaskan bulkhead.

As for the outdrive in shallow water, I have a kicker (trolling) motor on mine. Not that I would recommend regularly going into shallow water, but if I needed to I could raise the outdrive and use the kicker to move. It's a lot less maneuverable, but I'm not kicking up rocks and debris from the bottom since its prop is actually about a foot higher than my keel. It also burns a *lot* less fuel when I only need to go slow. The 3 gallon tank will last me all day at 4 knots, as opposed to about 1.5 GPH with the main engine.

1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

New member questions looking for boat 08 Aug 2017 00:57 #13

• Petehdgs
I have read and re-read the passage maker article several times and I believe this is the boat that I am looking for. So if you know of a 2670 for sale I am all ears. Thank you for your time and your help.

New member questions looking for boat 08 Aug 2017 05:07 #14

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Petehdgs wrote: I have read and re-read the passage maker article several times and I believe this is the boat that I am looking for. So if you know of a 2670 for sale I am all ears. Thank you for your time and your help.

What area are you in? I've seen them in my area as low as $2,000 with trailer and as high as $20,000. I drove over 2,000 miles to get my current boat, don't be afraid to look more than 30 minutes from your house.

New member questions looking for boat 08 Aug 2017 12:39 #15

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

businessgetmoney wrote: A fly bridge boat wiuld be more difficult to pilot as it catches the wind much more.

Apparently you have never owned a SDN F/B boat.
Once you have....... it would be difficult going back to a single station boat.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

New member questions looking for boat 08 Aug 2017 12:43 #16

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Solandri wrote: ................. the difference being on the flybridge you can sit on top of the hard top, while with a sunbridge you sit underneath it.
I would add that you can see everything around the boat from the flybridge, making it a lot easier to maneuver in tight spaces

Yes! And it is also very quiet on the F/B! :)

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

New member questions looking for boat 09 Aug 2017 02:59 #17

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
No i havent but my boat neighbor has one and cant park it in tight spaces in a canal because of the wind. I def agree that it may be easier to pilot being up hogh but that doesnt mean its not a goant sail cathing the wind no?

Never owned one just what i suspect. I am starting to like a salon and fb though. The head room makes a big difference in feeling claustrophobic.

1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan
Last Edit: by businessgetmoney.
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds