Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sources and or your own knowledge: 2655 Ciera Sunbridge history, vintage article

Sources and or your own knowledge: 2655 Ciera Sunbridge history, vintage article 28 Jul 2017 04:01 #1

• HueyCrew
  • HueyCrew's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Buy a boat, no more excuse to claim boredom.
  • Thank you received: 27
I'm also going to post this in the 2655 forum but with no luck on web Hoping for all the exposure possible..
Proud owner of a 1990 model. A very neglected 1990 that I've jumped off in the deep end with bringing her back to life, upgraded, updated and far beyond production line standards of her day. Not interested in " flipping" her when I'm done. I love her lines and only want to do this once. My "floating retirement villa"
Had no luck in hours of research finding out her lineage, numbers built (seems 88, 89 and 90 were very similar but before and after those years, especially after it underwent major hull redesigns). many other models before and after in years seem much more plentiful and easier to find hull/ model specific parts. was it just not a popular seller? Possibly a limited addition? Intentionally produced in lower numbers to "entice" folks into larger models? Not as "quality" therefore they just didn't last all that long?
The Bayliner model names in general..... seem to have Italian roots? Any history how and why they came about? I always try and get into projects like this. I can't even find and brochures or articles. Haven't tried archives of boating magazines yet but maybe somebody did a review. Have any of you had one and moved to another model? Share reasons for that? What you liked and didn't? I'm in too deep to back out and have no regrets since once I decide something's worth a venture, I tend to totally immerse myself in it, I stick with it, but like to gat all the background I can find. I'd be grateful for any info, leads or personal knowledge y'all might be able to share. Thanks, Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dave
N.C. Boater, fresh and salt water. New to boating in 2011
1990 Sunbridge 2655 "One Particular Harbour"
5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1
Past:
1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
Mariner 150
Towing with:
2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
West of Hickory NC

Sources and or your own knowledge: 2655 Ciera Sunbridge history, vintage article 28 Jul 2017 04:17 #2

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 553
Bayliner was founded in Washington state, not Italy.

If you focus on model numbers, names, and changes, you will literally walk yourself in circles keeping track of all the changes. Here's what you need to know:

In escalating sizes, Bayliner's cruiser lineup usually had a small entry, a popular entry, a wide beam cruiser above the popular entry, a narrow beam large cruiser, and a wide beam cruiser around that size range.

Back around the 1980s, the sizes were 2150, 2450, 2550, 2750, and 2850, following the above pattern.

So with your 2655, that is the "small" wide beam model. That lineage started with the 1985 2550 Ciera Designers Edition. That boat was redesigned in 1988 into your 2655 wide beam. And you are right, they were most popular in 1988 and 1989. The economy crashed in late 1989, and the 1990 2655 (the one that got Merc power) was a very poor seller. This actually affected all of Bayliner's lineup - it's a lot harder to find a 1989 2455 than it is to find a 1988 2455 on the used market.

Around this time, two things happened. The large wide beam cruiser, the 2850/2855 Contessa/Ciera (it was redesignated around 1988 before it was killed in 1989) was discontinued at the end of 1989. The second thing was Bayliner adopted a built in swim platform that added 2 feet to all their LOAs. So the 1991 2655 was really the 2855....effectively making their new 2855 a smaller boat than the previous 2855. That said, the 2955 Avanti became the 3055 and effectively took the Contessa's place in the lineup.

ANyway, that's the story.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Sources and or your own knowledge: 2655 Ciera Sunbridge history, vintage article 28 Jul 2017 10:03 #3

• Chief Alen
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
The following user(s) said Thank You: HueyCrew

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Sources and or your own knowledge: 2655 Ciera Sunbridge history, vintage article 29 Jul 2017 02:38 #4

• HueyCrew
  • HueyCrew's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Buy a boat, no more excuse to claim boredom.
  • Thank you received: 27

Chief Alen wrote: global.bayliner.com/past-models/

NICE Chief! I'm outta the gate.... much obliged!

Dave
N.C. Boater, fresh and salt water. New to boating in 2011
1990 Sunbridge 2655 "One Particular Harbour"
5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1
Past:
1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
Mariner 150
Towing with:
2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
West of Hickory NC
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt