Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Repower mess up?

Repower mess up? 26 Jul 2017 16:54 #1

• Chingwow
  • Chingwow's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
First off thanks to everyone that has answered all my stupid questions i have posted here before. You all have been helpful! So here we go 92 2655 got cracked heads so pulled the motor out 5.7 merc. I thought at the time repower with what came in the boat that will be your best option. So i bought another 5.7. And installed the new 1. After that my dads friend who brings his friend over, who i guess knows so much about boat moters. Asked me how i use my boat i said i just pull the kids on skies and tubes all day. Thats about it. He tells me ill crack the heads on this 1 too pulling the kids around. He says this is a big boat and pulling the kids around (teenagers) that ill be pushing the motor pretty hard. And good chance ill overheat it. Tells me you should of put the stroker im here and that would be all i need. I said to him yeah but ill have to regear my outdrive and what not to match the power of the stroker. And on the transom it says not to exceed 230 hp. He says no the alpha 1 can handle the stroker with no probems. And the 230 hp sticker is only there to save bayliner. So is this true? The outdrive can take the stroker and the sticker means nothing? Also did i really go that wrong putting the 5.7 back in when i use it for play? To pull kifs around? Or should i do the stroker?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Garchar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Chingwow.

Repower mess up? 26 Jul 2017 17:05 #2

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
kind of not true,
Bravo1? you should really have a Bravo 2 behind her.
original engine head was cracked... could have just rebuilt the top end, but now repowered.
forget about it & go boating :)

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good
Last Edit: by Ruffryder.

Repower mess up? 26 Jul 2017 18:33 #3

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
Not really true. I guess if other things were wrong (wrong prop and such) maybe.

If you have the right prop not over loading the boat and maintaining the engine correctly you won't have a problem.
Put it in go boating. I pulled many a tubes and wake boards and kids behind my 26 foot single 5.7 chevy cabin cruiser. Never had a head problem.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's

Repower mess up? 26 Jul 2017 20:25 #4

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 553

Ruffryder wrote: kind of not true,
Bravo1? you should really have a Bravo 2 behind her.
original engine head was cracked... could have just rebuilt the top end, but now repowered.
forget about it & go boating :)

1992 2655s were the old 1987-1989 2455s and 1990 2651s with a molded in swim platform.

Traditionally these boats got standard 5.0s (225/230 hp) and an optional 5.7 (260 hp). Where this gets tricky is 1989 is around the time they switched from crank to propshaft hp. So 230 hp at the prop may well be 260 at the crank.

All of them got Merc Alphas until the redesign came in 1995, and then the Bravos came online around 1996ish.

My advice is simple: Check the transom and make sure it's solid. If so, and the drive is sound, put a 5.7L in there with about 300 hp.

And get some better local advice....I strongly suggest you stop listening to friends of friends with questionable credentials. Call MichiganMotorz. They will tell you what outdrive ratio you have, and what it can take.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL
Last Edit: by Download_Complete.

Repower mess up? 26 Jul 2017 22:49 #5

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 383
Although pushing water around atvbelow planing speeds dragging a few kids is not the easiest thing for a motor, it is certainly not gonna blowup of new well built motor. Don't do it until your motor is broke in though.

Repower mess up? 27 Jul 2017 00:08 #6

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323

Download_Complete wrote:
MI strongly suggest you stop listening to friends of friends with questionable credentials. Call MichiganMotorz. They will tell you what outdrive ratio you have, and what it can take.

I would call MichiganMotorz (MM) any way. The Authorized Mercruiser repair shop in a town south of here told a potential buy of my boat that he wouldn't buy it because it had a MM motor in it and he didn't know how to work on them as he had never heard of one.

MM treated me like a prince when I bought my motor from them.

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds