Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trophy 2352 - My First Post (hit trouble.....)

Trophy 2352 - My First Post (hit trouble.....) 25 Jul 2017 11:28 #1

• MadWill
  • MadWill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi

My name is Adam and I am from Brisbane QLD, Australia. I have recently purchased a 2005 2352, 350 MPI (300 HP) Mercruiser with Alpha 1 Leg. It was repowered only 12 months ago. I have only had approx 5 hours behind the wheel, and so far so good. As with any new boat, I started making it my own. New hatches, electronics, smart craft cabling etc.

This is when I hit trouble though........

Drilling some pilot holes in the transom for the new transducer, approx 15 inches from center on starboard side approx 2 inches up. The holes poured out water. EEEEEEK!

Now for some more details - the one inch hole for the transducer cable above waterline (just below the swim deck) - transom was dry. Took out old transducer screws on port side - dry. Visual inspection of other holes - dry. No drip marks anywhere.

Now the boat was previously stored in salt water for the last 10 years. The water that came out the holes (approx 1/2 a cup) was clear and FRESH. It has come from a boat washdown (or rain) i.e. the inside.

Where I is was working on my boat, there was a boat repair company. He got his knocker testing equipment out (aka a hammer), transom was solid all over - same sound. His assessment, a slight delamination that held some water, possibly related to the stringer joining the transom.

It does have me somewhat concerned, although it does have Greenwood XL in transom.

Can anyone shed some light on this?? Is there some sort of drain channel in the transom from the stringer? Is this theory even correct? where would it get in? It stopped flowing completely after the half a cup or so?

All comments appreciated?

Thank you Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2005 Trophy 2352 WA
Mercruiser 350 MPI
Located in Brisbane QLD, Australia

Trophy 2352 - My First Post (hit trouble.....) 25 Jul 2017 20:28 #2

• mr.bent
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 55
Welcome to the forum.
How deep did you drill the holes?, did you drill all the way through the transom or just into the plywood layer?

1995 Bayliner 2452
Alpha 1 Gen II
2016 - 5.7 Vortec 4BBL
Full Closed Cooling
Last Edit: by mr.bent.

Trophy 2352 - My First Post (hit trouble.....) 26 Jul 2017 01:12 #3

• MadWill
It is a fair question Mr Bent. I only drilled pilot holes. However, it didn't seem like there was wood behind it all. Not having wood behind it also makes sense, as water wouldn't pour out of saturated wood. It would more leach / drip out.

I was just reading this post "Dave's transom repair my 2556" on this forum, and it kind of supports the above also.

The wood on Dave's transom doesn't go all the way to the bottom. Reading this post, the wood and fiberglass, both get thinner as you move outward from the center. It also doesn't touch the bottom.

Back to the original post, the boat builder mentioned I may have hit a pocket that water has ingress-ed into over time (as it is coming from the inside) that doesn't contain wood, just fiberglass.

I know that my 2005 Trophy 2352 WA is a different boat from Dave's, yet if any of the construction techniques are even remotely similar then there may be chance that this is what I have drilled into. As mentioned, where I did find wood in the transom, it was dry.

Has anyone pulled apart a Trophy 2352 transom? Anyone else has water pour out when installing a transducer? The word POUR also seems over dramatic, as it was 1/2 cup max.

Any info appreciated

Regards Adam

2005 Trophy 2352 WA
Mercruiser 350 MPI

Trophy 2352 - My First Post (hit trouble.....) 31 Jul 2017 06:14 #4

• MadWill
Well good news, I drilled 4 holes in different locations in my transom, both inside and outside. Well all of them were bone dry.

I can finally sleep again.

regards Adam

2005 Trophy 2352 WA
Mercruiser 350 MPI
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds