Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Motor seized from installing the thermostat the wrong way

Motor seized from installing the thermostat the wrong way 27 Jul 2017 12:16 #26

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

Chuck Wagon wrote: Thanks for all the input everyone provided. My mechanic will check it out next week and give his professional diagnosis. In my opinion this is a 17 year old engine that's been in saltwater all its life I'm definitely leaning to a new or rebuilt.

Chuck, I have been involved with the SBC since the mid 60s. I've built both High Performance automotive versions, and I've built Marine versions, none of which went together with the GM F/T pistons!
You spent a solid 15 minutes at 3800 RPM with a Thermostat that had been installed incorrectly. This engine severely Over-Heated, so I see very little need to have your mechanic spend much time diagnosing what occurred.
Also, please understand that once salt water corrosion starts to eat away at your cast iron....... it does not stop! Therefor I would suggest that you not spend one dime attempting to use the cylinder block or cylinder heads for the Re-Build!
Crankshaft, roller cam and cam followers, connecting rods, tin, etc..... yes.... they may be OK.

A good machine shop will be able to find good Automotive cores to begin the new process with.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds