Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Adding A Windlass?

Adding A Windlass? 20 Jul 2017 18:06 #1

• netsurfr
  • netsurfr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
My 288 doesn't have a windlass so I very rarely anchor anywhere because of the challenge of manually droping/raising anchor especially if I'm on my own. I'm considering adding a windlass as the boat is already prewired for it but I got a quote from the show in the neighborhood of $2500-$3000 for the windlass & install. How much better/convenient is having a windlass for those of you who have them (especially in a boat like the 288 command bridge? Also, the shop recommends having a wireless control so I can operate it from the bow as they said that's the best place to control them so also curious if you all operate yours from up on the flybridge or if you go to the bow to operate the windlass?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kokomo
2004 Bayliner 288 Command Bridge
5.7L Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI / Bravo III
McKinley Marina Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Adding A Windlass? 20 Jul 2017 22:01 #2

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 450
I can't imagine not having a windlass on mine. A wireless remote would be nice, but you'll still need to go out on the bow to secure the rode to the cleat, and unsecure it. So if you don't have foot controls, or don't want to install them, the remote would be even more valuable. It eliminates having to yell at someone at the helm to raise or lower the anchor. You should have wiring to the helms to operate the windlass if it's pre-wired. I have switches at both helms and foot controls on the bow, but no remote.

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010
Last Edit: by Jeffw.

Adding A Windlass? 21 Jul 2017 01:06 #3

• netsurfr
Thanks Jeff. So can you drop/raise your anchor if you by yourself on your 288 or do you need someone at the bow & someone at the helm?

Kokomo

Adding A Windlass? 21 Jul 2017 01:58 #4

• Hyperlite
  • Thank you received: 5
I have installed a windlass last year, i did it myself , it was quite a bit of work, but having windlass is awesome now!
I installed a helm control and bow controls as well, now wireless, don't really need it, but being able to control it from the bow is important

1998 Ciera 2855, 7.4L MPI, Harbourfront Toronto, Ontario

Adding A Windlass? 21 Jul 2017 02:24 #5

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 115
That price sounds about right for someone to do it all. I did my own with yachtman's help and it's not all that hard, just lots of variables. I skipped all the foot switch nonsense and went with a toggle in the cabin and remotes. You can substitute an ATV winch reversing solenoid for about 20 bucks and remotes are even less if you buy simple 12 volt remotes on Ebay. Yes, I have to face the disdain of snobby boaters for not using the ridiculous overpriced marine stuff, but I will just have to live with that. It's all 12 volt, it all works the same. So, I think I paid roughly 800 for the Maxwell windlass kit found on the interwebs, 40 bucks for the solenoid and remotes, the cost of the rode was like $400 (rope and chain) then you need appropriate power cables and decide on a power source. I went against everyone's advice and ran power from my house batteries in the back of the boat. Ideally, you want a dedicated battery very close to the windlass. You have to figure out a way to charge it. For whatever reason, mine works perfectly but it's not technically the way you should do it. Oh, the hardest part is drilling a big hole in your boat :)

Last Edit: by iceclimber.

Adding A Windlass? 21 Jul 2017 02:56 #6

• netsurfr
Thanks for the reply everyone. I'm semi-handy but not to the point of risking screwing up this up due to the importance of placement and drilling the hole so glad to hear the quote I'm getting is in ballpark or reasonable for the amount of work involved. Guess I'm going ahead with it as I miss out on a lot of activities around here like taking the boat and anchoring in the prime spot for 4th of July fireworks & the annual Air & Water show or simply dropping anchor and chillaxing in the waters of Lake Michigan away from the marina because it's a pain to drop/raise the anchor manually.

Kokomo
Last Edit: by netsurfr.

Adding A Windlass? 21 Jul 2017 10:11 #7

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 450

netsurfr wrote: Thanks Jeff. So can you drop/raise your anchor if you by yourself on your 288 or do you need someone at the bow & someone at the helm?

I can, and usually, do it myself. The foot switches or a remote are necessary for that. If I'm stopping for a swim, I drop and retrieve the anchor from the helm, I don't secure to the cleat for a quick swim or lunch/snacks.

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Adding A Windlass? 21 Jul 2017 12:32 #8

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
After a few things have been carefully considered, this is typically a user friendly installation. If you are fairly handy, you can install your Windlass.
The trick or main concerns will be layout, layout and more layout.
You get only one shot at it when it comes to cutting the deck correctly...... but it can be done! :)

Things to consider:

..... is the anchor rode locker large enough, and is it deep enough to create decent fall? if not, you may have trouble.
..... a Windlass can be more trouble-free and effective when the drop zone favors the AFT-most 1/3 of the rode locker.
..... many Horizontal Windlass styles incorporate spur gears for the reduction of which are not as stout as the Vertical Windlass that incorporates worm gears.
..... a Vertical Windlass "gypsy" offers approx 180* of rode contact, whereas a Horizontal Windlass "gypsy" offers approx 90* of contact only.
..... the below-deck electric motor of the Vertical Windlass does not hinder the rode pile........ if it did, the locker is too small to begin with.
..... the Vertical Windlass gypsy drops the rode offset from center of bow. (important to remember when doing the layout)
..... make sure that your anchor shank and swivel unit can lay nicely on your pulpit leaving some space just FWD of the gypsy.
.... choose an anchor that suits your anchoring needs, but one that can also come up and over the pulpit roller "hands-free" and from a low profile pull..... (your gypsy cannot stand up and pull/retrieve like a human is able to).

The following user(s) said Thank You: netsurfr

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.

Adding A Windlass? 21 Jul 2017 13:46 #9

• Hyperlite
Also , i put a chain stopper with mine, takes pressure of the windlass gears when docked

Adding A Windlass? 21 Jul 2017 15:19 #10

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-2CH-Channel-Wire...6rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26

Jeff I used something like this...works like a charm. I have one on my keys plus a spare. Just wire it to your reversing solenoid.

One thing to keep in mind when selecting your rode...how much line will you ever need ? Figure your depth X 3. As a land locked boater I will probably never anchor in water deeper than 30 feet. So, I will probably never use all the rode I am carrying. All chain is best, and also expensive, hence the chain/rope splice combo. Cheaper, weighs way less works fine for most recreational boating. I have spent lots of time learning how to properly place the anchor and still screw it up occasionally.

Last Edit: by iceclimber.

Adding A Windlass? 21 Jul 2017 15:25 #11

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
Hyperlite wrote:
Also , i put a chain stopper with mine, takes pressure of the windlass gears when docked

I seldom deploy my anchor when docked! :P :lol:

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Adding A Windlass? 21 Jul 2017 15:38 #12

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

2850Bounty wrote: Hyperlite wrote:

I seldom deploy my anchor when docked! :P :lol:

You are missing out on the fun. I always wait until someone is walking by then drop anchor while docked.

Adding A Windlass? 21 Jul 2017 15:59 #13

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382
The only time I needed another person to help anchor was when it was windy and there were other boats or land nearby. And my retract foot switch wasn't working. So I had to pull anchor and chain manually while calmly instructing the gf on the flybridge to manipulate the shifters and throttles so as not to run aground or ram any of the fancy Nordic tugs.
I also recommend the wireless remote in addition to helm switches. Foot switches seem to need maintenance every 5 years and it's always the retract one that stops working.
The following user(s) said Thank You: netsurfr

Adding A Windlass? 22 Jul 2017 13:43 #14

• netsurfr
My plan is to add a Lewmar V700 vertical and since this boat is prewired for the windlass and it was an option when new I'm assuming the anchor locker & drop are going to be good but that's why I'm having the marina do the work and come check it out first. Guess I'll also go w/ the recommended (by marina) wireless remote in addition to helm switch. Thanks everyone.

Kokomo

Adding A Windlass? 22 Jul 2017 15:18 #15

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

netsurfr wrote: My plan is to add a Lewmar V700 vertical and since this boat is prewired for the windlass and it was an option when new I'm assuming the anchor locker & drop are going to be good but that's why I'm having the marina do the work and come check it out first. Guess I'll also go w/ the recommended (by marina) wireless remote in addition to helm switch. Thanks everyone.

Good luck ! You have a huge advantage going with a professional install, and that is a warranty on the work.

Adding A Windlass? 22 Jul 2017 15:31 #16

• Hyperlite
Lol:))))

Adding A Windlass? 22 Jul 2017 22:03 #17

• itsabowtime2
  • Thank you received: 352
Having installed a windlass I can tell you it is a very straightforward job. Having the boat pre-wired will make it that much easier. Mine was not so I had a ton of wiring to do. This is a job where you measure 4 times before cutting and hole. The windlass will come with a template for placement. Use blue painters tape to allow yourself to position the template. All stainless hardware for the install and if you can make a backing plate for the windlass. Large fender washers at a minimum but an actual plate (s) would be even better.

I would recommend both a helm AND foot controls. Very nice to have both depending upon the conditions.

Consider an all chain rode. There are a few reasons for this. The chain will give you extra holding power and the extra weight can help you get up on plane more quickly.

Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
1998 3055 Ciera
(yes, a 1998)
Previous boat: 1993 3055
Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
Sea Doo XP
Sea Doo GTI SE
Life is short. Boats are cool.
The family that plays together stays together.
Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Adding A Windlass? 23 Jul 2017 02:14 #18

• Old Man With A Boat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Have a good day
  • Thank you received: 50
I have the Lewmar V2 and it works just great. It took me and a friend about two hours and the job was done. Since I drive from the upper helm 99% of the time I put the remote switch up there. I can watch the chain go out and come back in. The only time I have a problem is sometimes when I put slack in the chain the anchor will not fall. But once the admiral gives it a little kick everything is good.

Just love being on my 3870............Bill
1985 3870
Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
Live on board full time.
North Myrtle Beach, SC

Adding A Windlass? 29 Aug 2017 01:11 #19

• netsurfr
Got the windlass installed last week. Went with a Lewmar V700 with all chain rode. Added a chain stopper & anchor swivel as well as a handheld remote in addition to the flybridge control. Sure makes dropping/raising anchor a much more enjoyable task!

Kokomo

Adding A Windlass? 29 Aug 2017 13:12 #20

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Old Man With A Boat wrote: I have the Lewmar V2 and it works just great. It took me and a friend about two hours and the job was done. Since I drive from the upper helm 99% of the time I put the remote switch up there. I can watch the chain go out and come back in. The only time I have a problem is sometimes when I put slack in the chain the anchor will not fall. But once the admiral gives it a little kick everything is good.

Who gets the kick, you or the anchor lol

Adding A Windlass? 29 Aug 2017 14:16 #21

• Old Man With A Boat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Have a good day
  • Thank you received: 50
Both

Just love being on my 3870............Bill
1985 3870
Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
Live on board full time.
North Myrtle Beach, SC

Adding A Windlass? 29 Aug 2017 14:30 #22

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
I think the easy part usually is the physical install of the windlass it's self. The hardest part and probably most time consuming is the electrical side of it.

Also make sure your pulpit is in good condition.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's

Adding A Windlass? 30 Aug 2017 16:30 #23

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Old Man With A Boat wrote: Both

It's really easy to add wireless remotes, even I can do it. I have one on each set of ignition keys and a spare as a backup. Makes it nice for when my super expensive anchor swivel makes my fancy anchor come up backwards and I have to kick it around.

Adding A Windlass? 30 Aug 2017 16:43 #24

• aluxury1
  • Thank you received: 22
How much chain and what type chain did you use?

Brett
2001 Ciera 2858 EC
2007 Mercruiser D'Tronic 250
Sane people, tossing good money into a hole in the water!

Adding A Windlass? 07 Sep 2017 00:50 #25

• netsurfr
It was 150' of 1/4" (not 100% sure on the 1/4" but it was the size recommended for the Lewmar V700.

Kokomo
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds