• Page:

TOPIC: Need guidance on purchase 1988 2455

Need guidance on purchase 1988 2455 08 Jul 2017 21:22 #1

• El Capitan
  • El Capitan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and new to Bayliner.
I really like this model 1988 2455 but every listing comes w OMC/Cobra and a 305ci.

I know OMC is no longer in business and wondered if I should shy away from this power plant?

Also question if that 305 is enough power to plane easily w 3-4 persons onboard? What is your cruise mph/rpm and what is mph/rpm at WOT?

Anything I should look out for on this vintage? I really like the seating layout of lounge plus captain seat w flush stern deck.

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by El Capitan.

Need guidance on purchase 1988 2455 08 Jul 2017 22:29 #2

• Skutt
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
I have a Capri 1950, 5.7 with OMC Cobra. I was new to boat ownership when I bought it a couple years ago. I was told when I bought it that it needed engine work and it did. The Cobra out drive was in good condition , at least that is what the seller said and it seems to be so. We are in our third year of owning the boat and it has performed perfectly every time we take it out. I pulled the 5.0L (Chevy 305) and got a great deal on a 5.7L(Chevy 350) and really like it. I wouldn't let the OMC Cobra scare you away from the purchase if you really like the boat. As with any boat purchase you need to do a good inspection of all aspects of the boat. That means taking it out on the water to make sure it performs as it should. The only thing I have had to do to the Cobra on mine was to grease the U-joints and make sure the gear case if full of oil. Also make sure the throttle linkage on the engine where it shifts between forward and reverse plus works the throttle is well greased. I understand that if it isn't then that can result in failure because of not engaging in forward or reverse all the way. I belirve the Cobra is a well built, strong outdrive. I know they are old but so what. Then again I understand that it might be difficult to find a good mechanic to work on them since they are so old. I do all my own work so I don't care about that. Anyway I say that you shouldn't let the Cobra keep you from the boat if you really like it and if it is in good working order.
The following user(s) said Thank You: El Capitan

1988 Capri Cuddy 1950 OMC 5.7

Need guidance on purchase 1988 2455 08 Jul 2017 22:40 #3

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
Was working on my OMC Cobra 4.3 yesterday.
I haven't touched this boat for more than 4 years...out drive oil still in good condition, haven't lost a drop of oil, bulletproof 4.3 still not seized.
It is getting harder find a good OMC mechanic,
OMC powered boat will depreciate faster than you know...

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

Need guidance on purchase 1988 2455 09 Jul 2017 04:39 #4

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
I'd suggest steering clear of OMC!
Perhaps find a 1986 equipped with Volvo Penta.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Need guidance on purchase 1988 2455 09 Jul 2017 14:26 #5

• itsabowtime2
  • Thank you received: 355
There are plenty of options if the drive was to ever grenade on you.

The 5.0 is a small engine for that size boat. If you like the size of the 2455 look for something with a larger power plant is what I would suggest.

Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
1998 3055 Ciera
(yes, a 1998)
Previous boat: 1993 3055
Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
Sea Doo XP
Sea Doo GTI SE
Life is short. Boats are cool.
The family that plays together stays together.
Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Need guidance on purchase 1988 2455 09 Jul 2017 21:10 #6

• El Capitan
Thank you all for your opinions I value them very much. I am new to bayliner but certainly not new to boating.

I've owned searays in the past as well as others in fact I now own a 1970 SRV 180 classic beauty that I'm giving to my son now that he's a teenager to go boarding and skiing w friends. It's a great tough little boat.

Now I want a pocket cruiser. Being originally from Florida and having electrolysis eat away a beautiful Bravo I drive wet skipping in salt, I'll never wet slip again even though I'm in fresh water now.

The 2455 is perfect for me and the Admiral to cruise, lay on the hook and picnic. I love the lounge seating arrangement and this size is trailerable fit my Expedition Eddie Bauer and won't break the bank with rack storage on the lakes here.

I've found plenty of parts availability for both OMC engine and Cobra drives albeit more pricey than mercruiser.

I don't think I can find a better value in this boat and I think I found one in excellent condition.

I'll update here if I buy.

Thanks again to all!

Need guidance on purchase 1988 2455 09 Jul 2017 22:12 #7

• CptCrunchie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147

El Capitan wrote: Hi everyone,

I'm new here and new to Bayliner.
I really like this model 1988 2455 but every listing comes w OMC/Cobra and a 305ci.

I know OMC is no longer in business and wondered if I should shy away from this power plant?

Also question if that 305 is enough power to plane easily w 3-4 persons onboard? What is your cruise mph/rpm and what is mph/rpm at WOT?

Anything I should look out for on this vintage? I really like the seating layout of lounge plus captain seat w flush stern deck.

Thank you!

I have an '89 2459 with a 5.7L and Cobra OD. In 3 years, I have only done regular servicing on it, and it runs great! The amount you pay for the boat will dictate how much you can/should put into it to make it your own. Thankfully, I have a amazing OMC mechanic minutes down the road.

Suggest you get a full survey!

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin
Last Edit: by CptCrunchie.

Need guidance on purchase 1988 2455 09 Jul 2017 22:53 #8

• El Capitan
Yes sir CptCrunchie. Wouldn't buy wo one. Thank you.

Need guidance on purchase 1988 2455 10 Jul 2017 13:48 #9

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551
I strongly suggest shopping around and finding a good OMC shop. That will make or break your experience. But as you see, the 305/CObra combo is VERY common, easy to get parts for, and albiet on the small side, will move the 2455 along. You won't be setting speed records, but in good shape and tune, it will plane the boat with 4 people.

It needs to shift in and out of gear with a finger. If you have to force it or it feels stiff, you will have shift cable problems, and thats the Cobra's Achilles Heel.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Need guidance on purchase 1988 2455 10 Jul 2017 14:07 #10

• CptCrunchie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147

Download_Complete wrote: It needs to shift in and out of gear with a finger. If you have to force it or it feels stiff, you will have shift cable problems, and thats the Cobra's Achilles Heel.

+1 on that. I have my OMC mechanic adjust mine once or twice a year. He charges me $75, and it shifts great for a season. However, he thinks I may need a new cable next adjustment, ....and he said he has a few in stock. Haven't asked him how much, but he seems to be very reasonably priced for everything he does.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin

Need guidance on purchase 1988 2455 10 Jul 2017 14:22 #11

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

El Capitan wrote: Thank you all for your opinions I value them very much. I am new to bayliner but certainly not new to boating.

I've found plenty of parts availability for both OMC engine and Cobra drives albeit more pricey than mercruiser.

I don't think I can find a better value in this boat and I think I found one in excellent condition.

My point (in post #4) was that if you looked at Pre-1987 boats of the same/similar model, you would be looking at Volvo Penta Cone Clutch stern drives.
And as you know (from not being new to boating), the OMC Cobra is a Dog Clutch drive, the shift system adjustment is tricky for average Joe, it is hard to find a decent OMC mechanic, and OMC has not produced a stern drive since the last of 1993.

As Matt alludes to in post #8, the OMC Cobra's Achilles Heel is the Dog Clutch and the system that is required to allow it to shift.

The cone clutch drive does not offer such issues!
FYI.... all Volvo Penta drives and the Merc B drives are "cone clutch" !

What ever you decide upon, I wish you the best of luck! :)

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.

Need guidance on purchase 1988 2455 10 Jul 2017 22:25 #12

• El Capitan
I get it on the drive clutch differences, I've read a lot about this as well as the shifter cable being a common ailment.

So far the pre 1988's for sale look quite weathered and there seems to be a couple 1988s that appear absent of deferred maintenance.

I'm in no hurry. I'm sure come winter there will be more for sales.

Thank you.

Need guidance on purchase 1988 2455 11 Jul 2017 00:15 #13

• Davidlyne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
Based on personal experience, Run away from anything OMC powered

David
1999 Bayliner 1750 Capri. 3l Mercruiser Alpha

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Need guidance on purchase 1988 2455 24 Jul 2017 22:13 #14

• cb450sc
  • Thank you received: 4
I have had a 1988 2455 for the past seven years. The 5 liter engine is fine with two people on board but ask for some help pushing if you have six on board. My wife and I have taken "Fine Vintage" up to Georgian Bay a number of times and have made it through 5 to 6 foot waves. I have not had any issues finding parts when needed. As mentioned earlier the shifter is a concern. Some days it is fine and other days I have to man handle it to get it in and out of gear. That can be an issue when docking. I have had the cables replaced once and have to get them adjusted every other year! I have added some bar storage and upgraded the galley hand pump faucet. Good luck with your decision.

Bill and Janice
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
1988 2455 Ciera
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds