Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New 20hp Kicker on my 288

New 20hp Kicker on my 288 08 Jun 2017 10:41 #1

• mctaggart
  • mctaggart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Bayliner 288 4.2 D-Tronic
  • Thank you received: 9
I have been a busy boy the past few weeks sinking lots of money into my boat, i do a lot of trolling and dropping anchor with no shore power so the addition of a backup engine was welcomed so i never run into any battery problems with its beefy 12amp charging circuit, keeps the hours down on my main motor too which is a plus.

I opted for an electric start Tiller long shaft in the end, works a treat. I had to beef up the swim step some, Tenmile pointed out that the swimstep is through bolted and they are known to corrode/leak. Once i started looking at the struts and through bolts, the bolts were runied by electrolysis, just as well i checked!!

With plenty of advice from TenMile i have finally got it fitted, very pleased with it, pushes the 30ft 288 around 5-6knots which is plenty and you can steer the boa from the healm with just the bravo leg as a rudder, its a quite dopey steerign but does the job, so i dont even need to turn the auxillary just point it forward.

I also fitted a new lightweight tender, it was half the weight of the original one i had and its so much easier to manage :)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by mctaggart.

New 20hp Kicker on my 288 08 Jun 2017 11:47 #2

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
Very nice.....I'm looking at the same motor for my 14ft Alumacraft boat. I see your motor mount looks like the one I had built for my 2000 1802 Capri Cuddy years ago.

Last Edit: by FISHIN00.

New 20hp Kicker on my 288 08 Jun 2017 12:08 #3

• mctaggart
Its rated to 60KG in weight and my engine weighs about 58kg, i drilled some extra mounting holes and also braced underneath with a metal plate to spread the load out. It works well so far :) Its really quite, when i drop anchor i usually just fire it up to power all my electrics without running my batteries flat.

New 20hp Kicker on my 288 08 Jun 2017 18:48 #4

• fishaman
  • Thank you received: 24
That's exactly the motor I have put on my 2859, very pleased with performance, but I have switched to a lower pitch heavy duty 4 blade prop.

Alex
1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD

New 20hp Kicker on my 288 08 Jun 2017 18:59 #5

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 383
Sweet!
Is that top speed?
I have that motor mount on my 2859 but no motor yet.
I like the concept of using a small motor to cruise along at hull speed getting max mpg.

New 20hp Kicker on my 288 08 Jun 2017 22:39 #6

• mctaggart
It was quite choppy when i was testing it, i was managing 5-6knots at about 75% throttle, i think adding more throttle didnt make much difference except for alot more noise! Although it worth pointing out i havent changed the Prop to a high thrust version yet, so its probably laboring the engine as the prop with it was geared to push a boat along 20knots+

New 20hp Kicker on my 288 09 Jun 2017 00:27 #7

• TenMile
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 215
Max speed will be hull speed as that engine won't have the power to plane the boat. Hull speed is the square root of the hull length x 1.2 or about 6 knots. I had the same engine on my 288 as well and also went with a high thrust prop. Helps with turning. They are a very reliable engine, quiet and started every time. Having the pull start as an emergency backup is also wise. Glad you got it working and that the advice helped!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mctaggart

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

New 20hp Kicker on my 288 24 Jul 2017 16:33 #8

• Jay d
  • Thank you received: 0
Did you happen to take any pics of how you beefed up your swimstep? I have a very similar set up, while trailering im VERY paranoid about looking in the mirror and seeing my swimstep dragging behind. Although this set up has been on the boat for years, I'm still going to reinforce it somehow as the factory struts and hardware just weren't designed for the extra weight.

2009 Trophy Pro 2352,
5.0L MPI/Alpha,
Merc pro 9.9 kicker,
Scotty electric down riggers,
'09 Karavan trailer,
Tow rig 2007.5 3/4 ton GMC duramax
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds