Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bayliner Skylight Replacement

Bayliner Skylight Replacement 06 Apr 2017 04:11 #1

• rhythmpoetdonut
  • rhythmpoetdonut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Gang, I have a new Bayliner 642. I have not taken possession yet. One of the skylights has a bit of cosmetic bubbling in the otherwise black seal border area under the glass. It's similar to a bubbling or airgap one might find at the edge of a poorly installed automobile windshield, where not enough epoxy was applied. The anomaly appears cosmetic only, the seal around the window appears fine. Because the boat is new, Bayliner will pay the dealer to replace and re-epoxy a new skylight window. But, the removal could damage adjoining gel coat, and the removal and replacement might not duplicate factory specs exactly. It'll be difficult for the dealer I suspect. I'm certain the gel coat would be repaired, also.

So, I'm on the fence. Replace the glass and take a risk, or deal with the cosmetic issue and maybe seek compensatory upgrade in ??? All ideas welcome. Thank you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: dcunning

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

It is when you give of yourself that you truly give - Kahlil Gilbran
New: 2015 Bayliner 642 in Red, 4.3L MPI, Alpha 1 Gen II
Former: 2010 Bayliner 175 BR in Blue, 3.0L TKS

Bayliner Skylight Replacement 06 Apr 2017 17:54 #2

• lolar3288
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 35
Well personally, if it doesn't leak I would leave it. These things are tricky to seal especially if you remove and replace the sealant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Garchar, rhythmpoetdonut

Larry

Bayliner Skylight Replacement 06 Apr 2017 18:23 #3

• Garchar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 37
I concur with Lolar 3288. Watch it close and replace when you see leaking. However, if their is a leak take your time and use a razor blade to remove bubbling and carefully reseal ..Garchar
The following user(s) said Thank You: rhythmpoetdonut

GARCHAR :D
1988 2655
2009 Volvo Penta 5.7 300 hp DP F3s
Twice Past Commodore
Northwest Outboard Trailer Sailors, Eugene,OR
Last Edit: by Garchar.

Bayliner Skylight Replacement 08 Apr 2017 21:14 #4

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
  • Thank you received: 63
Well, I have some news to add about the skylight on my 642. Opened her up today to start getting ready to launch for the season. Opened the cabin door and immediately saw some brownish liquid on the starboard bulkhead ledge. Upon investigation it had the consistency of honey. Then I noticed the brownish streaks coming down the bulkhead with the origin coming from the starboard skylight. Clearly, there was a leak of some sort... Images attached.

The last time I was in the cabin was early February and there were nothing. In fact, I remarked to my wife that the cabin still had that "new boat" smell. In the intervening two months, there has been only one snow - with about 4 inches accumulation that melted in a day - and a couple heavy rain storms. I am wondering if some warm/cold contraction has taken place opening up a small leak in the skylight seal. But what made the sticky brownish residue left behind? I am thinking I'll need to remove the skylight - investigate - and re-seal - rather than just trying to "patch" seal the leak site. Thoughts?

Sorry, Jon, not trying to hijack your thread, but the answer to my problem might help you consider the what you want to do with your skylight.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Rick
"Our Dream" -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

This image is hidden for guests.

Last Edit: by rbrauerei.

Bayliner Skylight Replacement 10 Apr 2017 00:59 #5

• rhythmpoetdonut
Rick!

I am so sorry to hear this! It looks as if your skylight leaked. You should have a warranty, I'd think you're covered, but please let me know how this goes (response, etc). Attached is a photo of my cosmetic situation. Yes, your discovery is very interesting and it adds a whole new level to my concern. I'm thinking I'll try mine out as is, and also store the supplies at the dealer for now. If it works (is sealed), then I'm okay. But I want supplies on hand to deal with it if it leaks. Not sure how long I have to make a repair decision.

As far as removal/replacement is concerned, it's a difficult process for a dealer. They need factory supplied glass, epoxy, resin material . . . They'd have to bust out the original and damage may occur. If damage occurs to gel coat, they need to repair that, also. I could have this done right now, do you think I should? Maybe I should have the dealer test my current skylights?

The liquid you found that has a consistency of honey, that reminds me of my old 175. I found that early on and I first thought it was trim fluid. After bringing to attention of dealer, we kept an eye on trim and other fluids. It was not trim fluid, but I never was able to pinpoint what it is or where from. The only other material I could think of was condensation mixed with resin or some material weeping from the inner walls of the boat, hence the honey color. I found it to have the consistency of super lightweight oil, or water one might find in an old tire. A slightly greasy, odorless, watery material. You might put thIs concern out there for everyone and see if someone has a better explanation.

Thank you for the reply, and I'm grateful for other's replies!! We're all in this together! :)

This message has an attachment image.

Last Edit: by rhythmpoetdonut. Reason: Spelling

Bayliner Skylight Replacement 10 Apr 2017 20:38 #6

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Jon, I've heard back from my dealer. Fortunately, it's still covered under the parts and component warranty, which actually expires 17 May - so really fortunate. The service department manager's take: On many of the Bayliner boats over the years, they used silicone to install and seal windows (often times without screws or bolts). Whenever we came across this in the past, the best thing to do is remove the entire window, clean and prep, and re-bed it with silicone. Most of the time just trying to add some silicone as a patch to fix the leak will be a short term fix. Seeing that type of liquid that leaked through is not super uncommon. As that water slowly leaks through, it will pull some construction residues with it...

The worst part of this is getting my boat to the dealer for the warranty work. I didn't include a trailer in the purchase and it's a good two hour run by water to the dealer's location. Not to mention, taking days out of the opening of the season! If I were you, I'd really consider having them re-seat the window while it's still at the dealer before you take delivery.

Rick

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

Bayliner Skylight Replacement 11 Apr 2017 02:02 #7

• rhythmpoetdonut
Great info Rick!!! Thanks!! I'm considering your good advice. I have a trailer and the dealer is located about two miles from my house. I store my boat over winter at the dealer and I can have it done next winter, too. However, at a minimum I need to get the scene documented and guaranteed. If it leaks during year 4, for example, I want it taken care of free. One appealing thing, if I have it repaired now and it leaks in two years, I may have no recourse. But if I store supplies, maybe I can get it guaranteed for up to five. Just some thoughts.

Bayliner Skylight Replacement 15 Apr 2017 12:01 #8

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Jon, here's an update on my skylight situation. Took her out for the first time this past Thursday. While on the fore deck to place the anchor, I noticed that the sealing around the starboard skylight (the one that leaked) is indeed separating from the hull. And so is the sealing around the port skylight. It hasn't leaked - yet, but it is definitely separating from the hull.

And to add the story, I noticed the same brownish residue running down the bulkhead inside the cabin underneath the port helm. It was coming out of the screw holes on the access panel that is screwed to the bulkhead. It definitely wasn't there Wednesday when I wiped down the entire inside cabin with some 303 cleaner. The Bay was a little rough on Thursday morning when we took her out - 2-3 foot waves with the occasional 4 and 5 footers - and quite a bit of spray come over the bow. So, my only guess is that some water got inside from the sealant around the windscreen. I haven't had time to pull off the panel and investigate further, but will do that soon.

As an aside, when we first took delivery of the boat last May, my wife noticed water dripping into the cockpit coming through the port side windscreen wrap around during a day out in a pretty solid rain. My dealer added some sealant to that area and we didn't think much about it after that... But now I am questioning the integrity of the sealant around the entire windscreen - especially since it's probably the same stuff that was used on the skylights.

Fortunately, this will all be warranty work. But it's a huge PIA to start our second season with the boat. :angry:

On the bright side, the engine ran great for her shake down on Thursday. She ran great for the first time out with the choppy Bay and a good 6-9mph wind running at 2500 rpm/15mph. The afternoon Bay was pretty calm and I was able to get up on plane and open her up to about 24 mph at 2800 rpm for a run. I really like this engine.

Rick

Bayliner Skylight Replacement 18 Apr 2017 02:51 #9

• rhythmpoetdonut
I've said to more than one friend, the engine and outdrive are primary on any boat, but dang it's nice to have the rest of the boat work, too. With the 642 there are fewer gimmicks, so I'm hoping this translates into longer term reliability.

I've decided to wait on the skylight stuff for this season and just boat. At the end of the season, when I submit the boat for storage, whatever needs attention will get replaced.

Just my current thought :)

But, this is exactly why it's good to buy new Rick. Warranties are awesome things. Let me know how it all works out!

Last Edit: by rhythmpoetdonut. Reason: Clarification

Bayliner Skylight Replacement 30 Apr 2017 14:43 #10

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD

rbrauerei wrote: Fortunately, this will all be warranty work. But it's a huge PIA to start our second season with the boat. :angry:

On the bright side, the engine ran great for her shake down on Thursday. She ran great for the first time out with the choppy Bay and a good 6-9mph wind running at 2500 rpm/15mph. The afternoon Bay was pretty calm and I was able to get up on plane and open her up to about 24 mph at 2800 rpm for a run. I really like this engine.

I said that in regards to having to get the skylights reset and re-sealed. I thought the skylight issue was a PIA to start the season; little did I know. After a couple weeks of trying unsuccessfully to get a land transport to get the skylight work completed, we finally decided since my wife had the entire weekend off and the weather is great, that we'd take the boat out Saturday morning for the day, anchor for the night closer to the dealer's river, and drop her off at their dock on Sunday. Two birds with one stone. We had the perfect plan, even pre-positioning my Jeep at the dealer Friday night. Saturday morning the weather is looking great, the tide is perfect; so, I traverse the shoaling at the mouth of my creek with no troubles, my depth sounder shows 4-5 feet of water and I know I'm over the bar. I'm dodging A LOT of crab pots; normally one or two crabbers work the mouth of our creek - that day there are five crab boats pulling traps. Last season I had gotten pretty good at dodging pots; so, I wasn't too concerned. So... I lower the prop and start to slowly increase speed, but still not above 6mph. I had spotted what looked like a nice line between buoys that would take me out of the field. I get 200 hundred yards - then engine goes full stop. I hit a trap. Hoping it's just the line to the buoy, I slip into the water to cut it free. As soon, as I put my hand on the prop, I feel the chicken wire encasing the prop. I wrapped the trap itself. So, now instead of having the dealer only fix the skylights, he has more work to do... We still got a day on the water, the 40 mile to the dealer's dock tow took 5.5 hours!

Rick

Last Edit: by rbrauerei.

Bayliner Skylight Replacement 31 Jul 2017 14:27 #11

• lolar3288
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 35
Sorry to hear about the crab trap!

For sealing acrylic the professionals usually use Silkaflex 295 uv I was told it is the only sealant that works. I can personally tell you silicone, 3m 4000 and 3m 4200 do not. #m 5200 does but it is hard to remove. I used a drumel tool.

Larry
The following user(s) said Thank You: rbrauerei, rhythmpoetdonut

Larry
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds