Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 86 bayliner 5.0 engine replace starter

86 bayliner 5.0 engine replace starter 20 Dec 2016 02:18 #1

• jkealoha1
  • jkealoha1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
How to replace a starter on a 86 bayliner 5.0 engine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

86 bayliner 5.0 engine replace starter 20 Dec 2016 02:57 #2

• Pcpete
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 325
What I would do, assuming you don't have the new part, is Google mercruiser parts then pick one that has microfiche on line. You will need your serial number, merc is flat out serial number driven. If you need help looking up the part number, pm me. Next I take the part number to google and run a search with mercruiser before the part number. There are lots of aftermarket parts available out there, and lots of places selling them. I usually buy one that has a good price and free shipping. At the boat, disconnect your battery(ies), there's a rather expensive fuse on the solinoid that you don't want to buy a new one of if you don't have to. There are two bolts on the bottom of the starter that go UP into the block. You can use a flashlight and mirror to get a look see, or use your camera on your phone if you have that. I think the bolts are 14mm or 15 mm, but since your new one probably has new bolts, you can have a good chance of having the right size. Because I have twin engines, the stbd engine starter is lower than a stringer that's right there, so I use a 3/8 drive socket wrench with a "broken head" so I can get around and under. After the bolts are out I give it a wiggle and slip the whole unit out wher I can see the wires. Disconnect the wires, install the new unit by reversing the removal steps.
You will keep yourself out of the ring gear size, there are two sizes largely based on year and a long time ago, by using the serial number.
The worst part of this job is position you have to be in to get at it. If you get stuck, pm me and we'll work it out.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

86 bayliner 5.0 engine replace starter 20 Dec 2016 16:43 #3

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551
Moved to General Boating Topics.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds