Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Leta's Top Shop

Leta's Top Shop 19 Apr 2016 16:31 #1

• janas
  • janas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
My husband and I paid a visit to Leta's Top Shop three weeks ago too get a bid and work done for a bimini for our 3988. Leta told us she would have her daughter call us and set up an appointment to visit our boat and go over what exactly we want. Well, no call yet. I called and spoke with Leta a week ago and she had forgotten to give her daughter our contact information. Here we are a week later, ans still no call. I was just wondering if anyone might have the daughters contact information and we could give her a call ourself. Any help would be appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tom and Jana
1997 3988
"Full Circle"
Camano Island, WA

Leta's Top Shop 19 Apr 2016 16:49 #2

• itsabowtime2
  • Thank you received: 353
I do not have contact info for her daughter. I know they are busy this time of year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: janas

Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
1998 3055 Ciera
(yes, a 1998)
Previous boat: 1993 3055
Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
Sea Doo XP
Sea Doo GTI SE
Life is short. Boats are cool.
The family that plays together stays together.
Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Leta's Top Shop 19 Apr 2016 16:51 #3

• O1dSoldier
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16
I had Leta's shop build all new canvas for me last summer. They do great work and the prices seem more than reasonable BUT they are exceptionally busy and very slow. PM me and I will send you the number to the woman who did the work for my boat.

Thanks. And happy boating!
8-)
Paul
US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
Twin 150 Hinos / Raymarine Electronics
MMSI: 338181912
[/color]
[/b]

Leta's Top Shop 19 Apr 2016 17:05 #4

• Stray Cat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 19
I guess my experience with them is atypical.
Daughter came to our boat, took a pattern and returned several weeks later after missing a couple of appointments. I made two 160 mile round trips to meet her only to be stood up. Came up to the boat one day to find the canvas works nearly done, and not done to our liking. I paid them to leave and never come back.
I guess they are okay of you are just buying a stock canvas made from a pattern, but for anything else, there are so many better choices.

Boatless :-(
After all is said and done, there is always a lot more said than done.

Leta's Top Shop 19 Apr 2016 17:06 #5

• janas
Thank you for your reply! Do you have some other suggestions on who to call? I know this is their very busy time, but not to get a call back is very frustrating, especially when we made the effort to personally stop by her shop.

Tom and Jana
1997 3988
"Full Circle"
Camano Island, WA

Leta's Top Shop 19 Apr 2016 17:10 #6

• Stray Cat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Where is your boat moored?

Leta's Top Shop 19 Apr 2016 17:24 #7

• janas
Shelter Bay, LaConner

Tom and Jana
1997 3988
"Full Circle"
Camano Island, WA

Leta's Top Shop 19 Apr 2016 19:55 #8

• Stray Cat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Oh nice, me too. I would give the Canvas Man ( Lee Bailey) a call. He works out of Anacortes. His number is (360) 630-3484
He like everyone else is probably pretty busy, so patience is required. He does nice work.

Leta's Top Shop 19 Apr 2016 20:01 #9

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 606
I've had a lot of work done by Leta over the years on four different boats. I've always been happy with her work and very happy with the low prices. But I'll be the first to admit that she's very disorganized. It pays to be very clear on your expectations and to follow up.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Leta's Top Shop 19 Apr 2016 20:42 #10

• Robert K
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25
About 8 or 9 years ago I reached out to Leta's to get a canvas cover for my 265. I think I found her information on my own (before I found BOC). From what I recall I was the one that had to constantly call them, left several messages, etc.

Luckily for me living in Snohomish, it's a nice drive to Arlington - I went there in person. That's the only time I got any response. And even better, since my request was nothing extraordinary, I didn't have any issues with follow up and getting the cover. I even brought the boat to them (so they could line up all the snaps properly) and they turned it around a day or two later.

Now fast forward to about a year ago, I had a broken zipper on my bimini, I tried to reach out to Leta again - phone calls went unanswered, messages not returned, etc and even a personal visit by car with bimini in the trunk - only this time there was no one at the shop.

I finally found a shop in Ballard to repair the zipper.

I know shops can get busy, but at some point when you flat out don't even return phone calls to customers, even at lower than competitors prices, eventually those customers are gong to go somewhere else

"Navigator's Son"
2005 265 5.7 Merc Bravo 3 Duo Prop - Sold :(
Snohomish, WA
New boat 2017 R25SC

Leta's Top Shop 19 Apr 2016 20:53 #11

• O1dSoldier
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16

Stray Cat wrote: I guess they are okay of you are just buying a stock canvas made from a pattern, but for anything else, there are so many better choices.

My top and cockpit curtains are almost completely custom. Some elements were copied from the boat next to mine so I was able to use the patterns she created for that boat and the rest was completely custom and required ne patterns. I live an hour south so only come up on the weekends while the shop works weekdays only so everything was done by phone and text and I would inspect on the weekend and let them know of any adjustments. All payment was made upon completion. As I said it did take time.

The woman I worked with has a circuit and hits one marina per day so she visits multiple boats at one marina, does some work, the next day she is at another marina. I know some work is done on site and some is taken to the shop for others to do. All in all I am exceptionally happy with the finished product. I will say the old canvas was built by another company local to Everett and the design was very poor.

Thanks. And happy boating!
8-)
Paul
US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
Twin 150 Hinos / Raymarine Electronics
MMSI: 338181912
[/color]
[/b]

Leta's Top Shop 19 Apr 2016 21:05 #12

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551
I am not local to Leta, but my only experience with her, while not necessarily unpleasant, left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I got the impression she was too busy for me, or didn't want to bother sweating the details.

She has the reputation she does here because she has the old Bayliner patterns, thus making her, in theory, the easy choice for us.

I generally tell anyone who asks to just go to a local, highly regarded canvas shop and get it custom done.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Leta's Top Shop 19 Apr 2016 22:14 #13

• mlewis100
  • Away
  • 1995 Bayliner 3587
  • Thank you received: 55
I have never dealt with Leta but I'm sure I will attempt to at some point however despite service availability issues ...
My experience with canvas people has been the same to a consistent to the point there are good ones and no so good ones but they all seem to be busy, especially this time of the year. It doesn't seem like they ever wish to make you feel unimportant as a client; they're just a service in high demand so availability and sometimes organizational aspects suffer.
I haven't seen a out of work canvas person yet, I think this is the same everywhere...

1995 Bayliner 3587
Twin Hino 250HP
Located In Sidney BC, Canada

Leta's Top Shop 20 Apr 2016 00:39 #14

• Matlow
  • Thank you received: 8
I just had a canvas set done for my 2452. From order to arrival at the drop shipper I use in Point Roberts was 6 business days and the price was great. She recommended Gore-tex thread as well. She also said I was smart as I ordered in early February to beat the rush. The canvas came with all the fasteners and tools to install the fasteners plus decent instructions included.

I highly recommend Leta's for standard Bayliner canvas, oh and of course this time of year will be a zoo at any canvas or upholstery place...

'02 2452 Cierra
5.7 Bravo 2,
2003 Yamaha 9.9 EXRB
all on a 2013 Road Runner 6500lb Bunk trailer.

Leta's Top Shop 20 Apr 2016 00:51 #15

• Castaway
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Canvas Man did my top for the PO. Nice work. Not especially cheap though.

Bryan
1997 2858 7.4 B2
1992 Hewescraft
Puyallup, WA

Leta's Top Shop 20 Apr 2016 01:11 #16

• Amadaies
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 132
I ordered a new convertible top from her about a month ago. It was in the sale section. It arrived but with a few problems.
She said it would come with snaps and come with the install tool. When it arrived there was no snap or install tool and the snaps i received were about 20 screw in studs. So no snaps or tool to put them in with anyway and had to order some from another place and why would you even include screw in studs for a top that mounts to the windshield?
The top also came with snaps pre installed for side curtains, problem is i told her i had side curtains so there should not have been snaps installed that do not match as that needs done when i install it.

Anyway i never called her about it and its probably to late now anyway figuring that 1/2 price on a new top was a decent deal anyway and i can make new side curtains my self.

Pat. Sandpoint Ida
1984 Bayliner Ciera 24.5 Volvo Penta 5.7/290DP

Leta's Top Shop 20 Apr 2016 01:27 #17

• LeePTI
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 151
Leta's did stock canvas and upholstery skins for my 2855 years ago. Communication poor, but I was happy with the work and her prices were far lower than local shops. I agree with the rest. Stock, Leta's should cost less for same quality. Custom, go local. This time of year...good luck.... ;)

Oh, Leta also told me how to remove the seats from my 2855 bridge which was very valuable info at the time. Saved me hours of frustration. (She knows Bayliners.) I did not know about BOC back then. :S

Lee
2007 Meridian 490
2007 Meridian 368
1996 2855 Cierra
1978 Caribbean 26'
Oceanside, CA

Leta's Top Shop 20 Apr 2016 06:23 #18

• simbad
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
Any reccomendarions for a simple plastic window replacement job in Seattle area. I replaced all my flybridge Windows about a year ago with cheap stuff. Worst decision I ever made. I can remove and deliver to shop if needed. Thx

BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Leta's Top Shop 20 Apr 2016 08:24 #19

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
I've known of her for at least ten years and she has always been very bad at getting back to people. I tried a few years ago to contact her by her the website and by phone and never received an answer. So same story for her for all that time; she does ok work at good prices but is terrible with communicating.

If you want someone good Churchill's in Everett. Good work, not cheap, very busy.

Wayne
1988 2160 Trophy (BH) 4.3L, Volvo Penta DP-S1, D5 props (MMSI: 338120888)
1988 1710 Fish-N-Ski (Bass Trophy), Force 125HP

Do something! Lead: Follow: or get out of the way.

Leta's Top Shop 20 Apr 2016 13:35 #20

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551
I think it might be time, as a club, to start *not* recommending her if we have this many people complaining about communication.

Just a thought. There's no excuse in this day and age to run a business like that.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Leta's Top Shop 20 Apr 2016 14:00 #21

• aspen1880
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 119
I will not use her again. I rank my experience with her as D+.

Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

Leta's Top Shop 20 Apr 2016 14:10 #22

• Dadrock33
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • SE of York, PA
  • Thank you received: 71
Me either . . . no communication back even after talking on the phone and emailing questions regarding snaps and location, materials, thread used, etc. . . . couldn't understand at the time even though I know some of you were very happy with her . . . poor customer service . . . if she's that busy, maybe she needs to hire some help!

1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
James H. Stradling

Leta's Top Shop 20 Apr 2016 14:32 #23

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 606
Communication issues aside, the best canvas to get from Leta are replacements for OEM Bayliner canvas. It is the bread and butter of her business. Because she has the patterns the prices are usually much lower than custom canvas shops charge. I've purchased stock canvas from her for three different boats: 1988-2488 full canvas; 1989-2858 flybridge cover, bimini, windshield cover; 1999- 3788 windshield and side windows cover made from shade material. In all these cases the prices have been awesome and the lead-times reasonable.

Leta has developed custom canvas for me twice. The first time was a cockpit top for my 2858 she made seven or eight years ago. She had someone come to my boat in Everett to take measurements, made the canvas and frame, and came back to install it. Late last year she made a custom mooring and trailering cover for my Boston Whaler 130SS. In that case I took the boat to her in the fall, and it was done a week later. In both cases I have been extremely pleased with her work.

I live in Everett and driving to her place in Arlington is not an issue. I noticed the communication issues early on; so I follow up with her often to make sure my stuff is getting made.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Leta's Top Shop 20 Apr 2016 17:30 #24

• janas
I so agree! I've called three times now and paid a personal visit. I realize they are very busy and do not have any unrealistic expectation as to when the work will be done. I just want to get in line! Thank you for your post.

Tom and Jana
1997 3988
"Full Circle"
Camano Island, WA

Leta's Top Shop 20 Apr 2016 17:35 #25

• janas
No, you are right, Canvas Man is expensive. We did receive a quote from him last fall and it was VERY expensive! So we are looking again. We realize how busy everyone is and we are not in any particular hurry. Just want to get in line.

Thank you!

Tom and Jana
1997 3988
"Full Circle"
Camano Island, WA
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds