Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1977 Saratoga SunbridgeTOTAL rebuild

1977 Saratoga SunbridgeTOTAL rebuild 15 Jan 2016 22:07 #51

• 2nr
  • Thank you received: 0
Nice Job, my 73 is in a bit better shape but definitely in need of some lovin, I appreciate the amount of work that you will have into her! Keep it up, it makes me want to get outside and start when the Yamaha restoration gets way-laid by a lack of parts. I am almost jealous of the lay up skills, mechanically and electrically I am great but my attempts at glass have been nowhere near as slick as those pictures! I am following your project with baited breath as I wait for warmer weather to start my own glass escapade!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

If someone made it...someone else can repair it!

1977 Saratoga SunbridgeTOTAL rebuild 07 May 2016 10:11 #52

• TommyT
  • TommyT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 9
Spring has sprung. It's time to get back to work on the boat. Over the winter I did a bit of work on the out drive. Not enough to post about though. I did get married so I have at least one excuse for not getting hot on this project.
So... I had left off at installing the cabin sole forward section by the front bilge. The section forward of the fuel tank was framed in, foamed in, and the deck in place. This section has an epoxy coating but no biaxial cloth yet.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I've continued working around the forward bilge and installing the rear of the V- berth.

Before foaming around the forward bilge, I need to run some conduit under the deck to the forward bilge pump. I'm also planning on making a hatch and mounting the fresh water pump under the deck just aft of the V-berth bulkhead.

The fresh water pump will sit below where it is in the picture. The cardboard template is for mocking up where the head will be. -Tom

1977 Saratoga Sunbridge 2550. A project that's coming together here- www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...nbridgetotal-rebuild

1977 Saratoga SunbridgeTOTAL rebuild 06 Jun 2016 06:17 #53

• TommyT
Work continues-
Conduit was run under the deck for the forward bilge pump and the freshwater pump. I also put a small section of PVC pipe together for the forward bilge pump. This was also run under the deck. The outlet will be hidden by the galley. After getting that done, it was all about pouring foam. The foam is easy and fun to work with. It trims up easy with a hand saw. I used the last of the 4LB foam left over from the fuel tank istallation, to go under where the head will mount. The rest of the foaming is all the 2LB stuff.
Where the freshwater tank will sit under the V-berth

Foamed up forward area

Then trimmed up with a hand saw

V-berth foamed but not trimmed

1977 Saratoga Sunbridge 2550. A project that's coming together here- www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...nbridgetotal-rebuild

1977 Saratoga SunbridgeTOTAL rebuild 06 Jun 2016 06:42 #54

• TommyT
Next job was making a spot for the fresh water pump. A place under the deck that sits lower than the tank.
I tried a different method of foam installation on this. I mounted the pump base before the pour. Then holes were drilled for foam pouring and expansion. Once the foam was in I epoxied the wood "pucks" back in the holes. This way of foaming works. It seems to take longer. I'll stick with the previous way going forward.

Before all this was done, I had hammered in Tee nuts under the base so the pump could be bolted down instead of using wood screws.

1977 Saratoga SunbridgeTOTAL rebuild 29 Oct 2016 20:59 #55

• TommyT
The lower deck, Vee deck, and forward bilge cover is complete. The anchor locker still needs to be built. That will wait until the windlass is in place. I wont paint the deck until the inside of the hull and overhead are painted.

The bulkheads were installed along with a hatch for fuel tank connection access.

The below decks ladder is roughed in. I still need to make a mount for the cabin heater behind the steps.

Here is a before picture of the ladder.

I'm planning to spend the winter prepping and painting everything down below deck. Maybe build the galley too. I've already changed the broken escape hatch with a better quality used one. Also added a fresh water deck fill and waste deck fitting. -Tom.

1977 Saratoga SunbridgeTOTAL rebuild 29 Oct 2016 21:37 #56

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 810
Wow. That looks great!! I like the steps you made, are you going to let the wood grain show through (looks cool)? I'm not familiar with the Saratoga But it looks like a ton of possible storage space behind the steps, what goes there beside the heater you mentioned? Looks like you could get a large water heater or something there with access from the back maybe?

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

1977 Saratoga SunbridgeTOTAL rebuild 29 Oct 2016 22:46 #57

• TommyT
Thank you! Originally it was a general purpose cabinet space behind the steps.Using up that space will be something to science out. There is room enough for two GC2 6 volt house batteries and the heater if I boxed it into two sections.
I'm not sure about the steps. They are going to need a non-slip surface. Can that be done and still keep a clear-ish finish? It's just epoxy now. -Tom.

1977 Saratoga SunbridgeTOTAL rebuild 30 Oct 2016 23:11 #58

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 810
I'm sure there's a way to do it, an additive on the final coat maybe? Keep up the good work :)

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

1977 Saratoga SunbridgeTOTAL rebuild 31 Oct 2016 17:01 #59

• fritzman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fritz, Boat- 2859 -1993 name Scotch&Water
  • Thank you received: 184
Great project, love it when older vessels are re build given a longer lease to be enjoyed, when done you have a vessel to be proud of, my hat of to your effort. :cheer:

Old Glue
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds