Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Live Aboard short stays on 2858?

Live Aboard short stays on 2858? 05 Jun 2015 18:47 #1

• Chetcuti
  • Chetcuti's Avatar Topic Author
  • Chet
  • Thank you received: 0
I am a new member to BOC. I am looking at buying a Bayliner 2858 to live aboard for weekends and perhaps, a week or two when the opportunity presents itself. I am new to the boating world(ex Pilot) and would be interested in your comments on the 2858. Is there anything significant to be a where of when buying this model? Thank you in advance. Guy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Live Aboard short stays on 2858? 05 Jun 2015 22:51 #2

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
Welcome to the BOC! :) We're preparing to take ours to Lake Powell for 2 weeks, then the SoCal coast for 4 weeks. This is our fifth summer doing this, the boat works just fine for these lengths of stay. We are however, always looking for something bigger to leave at the coast instead of trailering. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Edit: I am moving your thread to General Boating, it will get more responses. The Liveaboard forum is more for full-time liveaboards.

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010
Last Edit: by Jeffw.

Live Aboard short stays on 2858? 06 Jun 2015 02:44 #3

• RGrew176
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335
You should have no problems staying aboard on that boat for any length of time. My last boat was a 3055 and I spend 89 days onboard in 2007 and 111 days onboard in 2010. The days were not all consecutive but each time was a week minimum. I would go home for a day or two to do laundry and take care of things that needed to be done at home. Personally I could sell off everything I have and live aboard permanently but the admiral would not like living on a boat full time.

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

Live Aboard short stays on 2858? 06 Jun 2015 11:03 #4

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 595
It depends more on you than the boat. I see people living on very small boats the entire summer at anchor. To them this boat would be huge. Others wouldn't be comfortable on a 40' boat.
If you can spend a day, you can spend a week. If you can spend a week, you can spend a month. If you can spend a month, well you the idea.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner
Last Edit: by dmcb.

Live Aboard short stays on 2858? 06 Jun 2015 15:45 #5

• freedre
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
Welcome :)

The 2858 is a great boat.

Whether or not it will suit your needs can only be truly known after you have had it for a few years.

Some things you haven't mentioned like the number of passengers you will have and where you will be boating are also factors that will influence your selection.

Ron

Midnight Star
1996 3587
Twin diesels, Hino 250's
Ladysmith, BC
History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

Live Aboard short stays on 2858? 13 Jun 2015 23:21 #6

• Chetcuti
  • Chet
I have been away but back now. Thanks for your welcome to BOC and so much for your comments.The Bayliner 2858 in question has not been in the water for 4 years and has been stored outside. It has lots of equipment such as: 15 hp with remote steering & controls, 5 hp kicker with 10 ft tender, diesel cabin heater, full tops etc. I decided against buying it primarily because it hasn't been used and it only 1 engine(screw), I'm getting the jargon! The boat is going to be put into freshwater lake that's 100 miles long and 500 ft deep. My wife probably will not join me very often, never flew with me so assuming same with boat, most of the time will be with my son and his 2 boys or myself.
I did sea trial Sea Ray 270 command bridge 1980 and found it little too small and 340 Sea Ray command bridge 1984 which was a good size but too old. Yes Doug, I think it does depend on me and really once you get into a routine things go well.
So back at the search.
Cheers
Guy

Live Aboard short stays on 2858? 14 Jun 2015 11:32 #7

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Guy, I think once you look at different boats you will see few compare with Bayliner for use of interior space. Perhaps Carver and a very few others but size for size Bayliner is very hard to beat.
I don't say that because I own a Bayliner or am on this forum. Its what I have seen in over 60 years of boating. When I wanted to go a bit bigger a few years ago I looked at a lot of boats.
Going back to the Bayliner you looked at.
While others may disagree, being out of the water for 4 years shouldn't automatically disqualify any boat. If the engine was fogged it will still be good.
If it was in salt any cooling parts that are not closed cooling may need changing but that would be true used or not.
The outside condition because it was stored outside will be evident.
Other little things may need attention but that also will be true of a boat used.
The good thing is there is 4 years with no wear on the engine and drive.
If you think again about this boat make your offer to include a survey both hull and mechanical and a sea trial.
Hull and mechanical surveys are usually done by different surveyors but not always.
Your offer should take into consideration anything that needs addressing because of exposure.
You may turn this into your favor and if it sat for 4 years the owner may take a lower offer.
About a single screw. There are a lot of boats with one. It not should be a problem and the boat does have a kicker to get you home or at to a safe anchorage.
Twin engines also mean twice the problems and more fuel used in most cases. But 28 feet is about the limit of a single engine boat unless its a slow speed boat.
just tossing some thoughts out but be sure you have what is important to you in any boat you choose. Don't discount something thinking it won't matter. It will in the long run.

If you choose a different brand boat you always will be welcome here. We are a boating site sharing boating (and other) things. We welcome all boaters.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Last Edit: by dmcb.

Live Aboard short stays on 2858? 14 Jun 2015 18:06 #8

• Chetcuti
  • Chet
Thanks Doug for your input, it is much appreciated. Yes, it is very difficult to match the 2858 use of space and I am tending another serious look at this 2858 because it has so many extras. I also think it would be prudent to have the boat surveyed both mechanically & hull.
One specific question: someone mentioned to me about that the Bayliner 2858 is squirrelly, and once you get over that its OK! I had no idea what they were talking about! Does this make any sense to you? Some Airplanes are squirrelly on take off but a boat!
Cheers
Guy

Live Aboard short stays on 2858? 14 Jun 2015 19:33 #9

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Can't answer that one Guy. But there are many owners here who will be able to give you an answer.
What they may be talking about is what we call Deep V Wander at hull speeds. Many single engine boats experience this. Most of it is operator induced by over reacting. Lowering the trim tabs helps some boats, others not.
It is not specific to that model boat.
I'll have to let those with actual experience give you a better answer.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned

Live Aboard short stays on 2858? 14 Jun 2015 21:16 #10

• Chetcuti
  • Chet
Thanks Doug! Have a Great Day!
Guy

• Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds