Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bayliner...whats the real truth?

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 14 Oct 2013 02:05 #1

ok, i am a new boat owner this year. Spring came and i decided i would get a cheap used boat and see if the family and myself would enjoy it. So back in the early spring i bought my 1986 bayliner capri 1950. I did check it out first to make sure the floor was solid and took it for a ride and all was well. I got it home and did some maintenance to it with 2850 bounty's help. The end of the summer is here and we have had a blast on this boat and it has been a good one! No problems, handles great, no complaints at all for a 28 year old boat. Well, seems the more i read on the internet, the more i hear how bad bayliner boats were in the late 1980's into the early 1990's! Ive read horror story after horror story about hulls breaking apart when someone hit a simple wake from another boat to sinking, just all sorts of horror storys on bayliner boats of this era. Any of you guys on here know the truth? Were these boats really that bad? I have a hard time beleiving it because mine has been great and we do like to hit big waves with it and it hasnt hurt it.. Ours has the 5.7 chevy with the volvo penta 275 drive. :unsure:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 14 Oct 2013 02:13 #2

• 2859er
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 17
Trust your years worth of experience. It is much more reliable than anonymous Internet chatter.

2000, Ciera SC 2859
7.4L MPI Bravo II
MMSI# 338118874
06 Silverado LT 3500 Diesel

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 14 Oct 2013 02:15 #3

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 81
Do a search and read about the hugely expensive Bertram 630
www.yachtsurvey.com/sinking_of_Bertram_630_Absolutely.htm

Some people bash boats. I love my Bayliners
2000 Ciera Express 2452
5.0 Alpha 1 Gen II

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 14 Oct 2013 02:18 #4

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Hope is not a plan.
  • Thank you received: 76
mopower440 wrote:
Any of you guys on here know the truth? Were these boats really that bad?

You KNOW the truth now that you've owned one. You now KNOW that Bayliners provide good value and get people on the water safely and economically. What answer are you looking for here?
Regards
Whiskywizard - BOC Administrator

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people. I'm just saying, let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 14 Oct 2013 02:21 #5

Like i said, ive only owned it for a few months and this is my first so i dont really have any experience besides the few months ive had this and its been just fine. Why is there so much negativity towards this brand? I swear, ALL over the internet its posted how bad they were back then and how dangerous they were because they fell apart, blah, blah, blah,..what started all this?

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 14 Oct 2013 03:00 #6

• RGrew176
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 117
mopower440 wrote:
Like i said, ive only owned it for a few months and this is my first so i dont really have any experience besides the few months ive had this and its been just fine. Why is there so much negativity towards this brand? I swear, ALL over the internet its posted how bad they were back then and how dangerous they were because they fell apart, blah, blah, blah,..what started all this?

That is exactly why you take all the Bayliner bashing threads on other sites like The Hull Truth etc for no more than a grain of salt. If you want to know the good, the bad and the ugly about Bayliners here is the place to get the whole truth and nothing but the truth about Bayliners.

If I had believed even 1% of the crap I heard about Bayliners I would never have owned 5 of them. I hope to be back in the market for a used boat late next summer or early fall. Bayliners are at the top of my list.
Rick Grew
2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 14 Oct 2013 04:01 #7

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 142
The very reason this site is here is because a Bayliner owner got tired of the misinformation being posted about Bayliners.
If you progress into a cruiser, you will find no one does a better job of utilizing the interior space than Bayliner.
The engine/drive is the same as all the so called better boats so that is a wash. The hulls don't fail so its fit and finish.
You may find Bayliner lacking there in some respects but you won't find a better value for your money.
You bought an old boat with unknown care yet you are happy with it.
What more could you ask for? What more could anyone ask for?
Doug
Last Edit: 14 Oct 2013 04:02 by dmcb.

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 14 Oct 2013 04:19 #8

We're on our third Bayliner. First boat was a 1650 Capri built in 1983. If I had had this site then I could have repaired a few minor build-quality issues and maintained it better. I was the typical first boat owner and ended up nearly giving the boat away after seven years of fun.

Second boat was a 1996 2855. Bought it, used it for three years, and sold it for one grand less than we paid for it. Last year we bought a 1997 4788. What a great boat! Thanks to this site we've been fixing lots of issues. Believe it or not, most of the problems have been due to improper maintenance or poor installations of new equipment.

My 4788 is a well-built yacht. Maintenance is the key!
Rob Meldrum
Commodore, Edmonds Yacht Club
"Miss Maui" * 1997 Bayliner 4788 * Cummins 3330s

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 14 Oct 2013 04:31 #9

• bigwave
i had a Bayliner and i thought it was a pretty fair boat, in the specific case of the model i had i felt it had some short Comings but accepted it was built for a market segment, it was a 1994 Ciera 2255 and it really needed some extra hull length in my opinion, and its main failing in my view was the fact that ALL the weight was in the back of the boat, ive had two more boats since then and both have had strengths and weaknesses.

all boats have compromises, you just have to find a boat that for the most part suits your needs and try and fix or live with the rest.

thats my thoughts only others may disagree

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 14 Oct 2013 09:37 #10

• msd58
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I will answer your question. But first let me say this. I used to jump on every internet posting about people who were either bashing Bayliners or who had honest questions like your about what they read in terms of negative info. I dont anymore. Why becasue its a waste of time. People echo or parrot what they hear from other boats owners, aggressive salesmen or just plain ignorance. Truth is there is no recorded documentation anywhere including the US Coast Guard of any Bayliners hitting a wave, wake or school of jelly fish and breaking apart. In short an urban legend.

Bayliners were always a price point boat. So they were first boat for many folks. Since they were first boats for people some were neglected, abused and so on.These boats then get into the used boat market and thus the legend grows. Then as now they used the same motors found in premium brands with the exception of some Chrysler and Force Outboards. Bayliner did not used high end hardware a lot of times such as rub-rails cleats ect. The hulls thickness may not have been as thick as some other brands but it more than sufficient.

I have owned three Bayliners. I will mention that I owned a few boat brands long before my Bayliners. I had and MFG, Boston Whaler, Sunbird and Thompson. I bought my first Bayliner a used 1988 model. I bought becasue it was laid out great, had plenty of space and the price was right. The build quality seemed to me no different than the other boats I owned before. As I began to use the internet more and more (15 years ago) I started find all this horrible info on Bayliners. None of which I could identify with since I was enjoying my Bayliner every weekend experiencing none of the issuers of what I was then reading. What I began to find was the Bayliner was whipping boy for just about everybody who never owned one. I am not saying that they were on par with some premium brands. But I just was not getting what was being said. Well to make a long story short I a on my third Bayliner. The last one I had I kept for 12 seasons and it was used every weekend. My current one is used the same. Before I bought my current (also used boat) 2855 we looked at many brands. Sure there were some very nice boats. However when it came to value, space utilization and practicality we boat another Bayliner. It has the same motor and drive as all the other premium brands we looked at. In summary no regrets.
Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.facebook.com/baylinerboats
Last Edit: 17 Oct 2013 08:46 by msd58.

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 14 Oct 2013 11:23 #11

• Fish-a-Palooza
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 28
All Bayliners suck! Just ask any Searay owner. :woohoo: Do yourself a favor; go get a Searay and you will never have another boat problem again! ;)
Wayne
1988 2160 Trophy (BH), OMC Cobra 4.3L (MMSI: 338120888)
1988 1710 Fish-N-Ski (Bass Trophy), Force 125HP
1980 2750 Victoria F/B, VP 260A, 280 upper, 290 DP lower

Do something! Lead: Follow: or get out of the way.

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 14 Oct 2013 12:20 #12

• k-townguy
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a 1985 ciera 2150 and consistently have it out in 2-3 foot seas, I have also been caught in 6-7 foot seas and my hull has not broken, cracked, or fallen apart. It's not the Bayliner that has the bad name, is the owners who neglect them. I would take an older, taken care of Bayliner over a neglected Sea-Ray, Rinker, Regal etc any day.
1985 Bayliner 2150 Ciera Sunbridge
VP AQ125A/275
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Four Play'n
http://cdnbaylinerownersclub.com/

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 14 Oct 2013 12:46 #13

• rowdyram
  • Thank you received: 2
Needing to replace a trailer light lens, I stopped into a marine store in Onalaska, TX, Saturday morning. During a conversation with one of the sales guys there, I was talking about how we enjoy our Bayliner. Sales guy says "Yeah, most folks don't realize that up to 19 feet, they're the same hulls as the Sea Rays."

I told him I hadn't done any research on that particular subject, but the way he said it almost sounded like he was trying to prop up the Bayliner name. He laughed. I went on to say that our boat does everything we want it to do, and does it all very well. With the 5.0 it's even reasonably efficient...given its capabilities. To me, that means more than who designs or makes the hull.

I love my Bayliner. If I get rid of it, it'll be because it's damaged beyond repair, I'm bankrupt, or I can't use it anymore. Until then, she's mine and I'm going to enjoy every minute I get out on the water with her, and not EVER second guess my decision to buy her over a Four Winns, a Sea Ray, and a Chaparral.
'08 195 Flight
Last Edit: 14 Oct 2013 12:51 by rowdyram. Reason: shouldn't have mentioned a specific store
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southsaglejim

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 14 Oct 2013 13:52 #14

Thanks guys. I feel much better after hearing experienced owners of this brand. I figured it had to be bull. Ours has been just fine, especially for a 28 year old boat. The capri models like I have are the ones I heard so much bad about, that's what scared me. I know the newer bayliners probably are the same as sea rays since brunswick now owns both sea ray and bayliner, but like I said, its the older 1980s models I heard the horror stories about. I'm happy now. Someday I want a newer bayliner capri, I just lik the looks and interior of them.

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 14 Oct 2013 14:04 #15

I have a 1986 2750 Ciera and a 1976 34' Marine Trader. Both of these boats are bashed online endlessly as being junk.

Despite that, I've had a blast with both of them, in all kinds of sea conditions on Western Lake Erie which is notorious for steep choppy seas.

Were they built to a price point? Yes. Do they have structural weaknesses? Yes. These issues are easily corrected with some fiberglass work in the right places, and most important attention to maintenance.

Just my two cents...

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 14 Oct 2013 14:45 #16

• briankstan
  • Thank you received: 4
I have a the 2150, it's the big brother to your 1950, and although I've put a lot of work into her she has been a great boat over the 20 years it's been in my family. Runs great and I have never had a mechanical issue. it was abused before we got it and the I did end up replacing the entire inside of the boat due to rotten floors, layout change and new carpet and upholstery.

if the boat has been cared for and the maintenance done you should just enjoy her and not listen to all the haters. trust your guy and what you have experienced with it. Bayliners provide great value for your boating dollar.
1987 Bayliner 2150 bowrider (One of a Kind)
"Second Chance"
5.0 liter / OMC Cobra / 15 1/2 x 14 SS prop

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 16 Oct 2013 20:45 #17

• ken51k
  • Haddam ,CT
I just traded my 1994 Maxum 2400 SCR for a 1999 Bayliner 2655 Ciera 5.7 Bravo 3. I wanted something a little bigger but with more power. The Maxum was a V-6 and under powered. I only been out on my bayliner a few times, but I really like it. It performs vey good and it seem to be just what I wanted. I did a search on the Coast Guards recall list and Bayliner was NOT on the list any more that a lot of the other so called better boats. Some of these "better boats" had a lot more recalls than bayliner. Yes, Bayliners don't come with a lot of the fancy extras but I think it is still a very good boat and I'm happy with owning one.
1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
5.7 Bravo 3

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 16 Oct 2013 21:56 #18

• Mileskb
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 23
A good friend of mine was the chief engineer in Marysville until they closed the plant.... He built a lot of the dyes that were used to make the parts for our boats and Meridians. He started at the bottom and was there for 30+ years. I got a tour and a lot of history from him and heard a lot of the good, the bad and the ugly..

The bottom line is that for the most part, Bayliners were built as a sturdy boat. That wasn't necessarily the motivation, but it was the result. They maybe got stingy with amenities, and power, but after 30 years, those amenities have been replaced and in many cases the boat re-powered.

If you walk the docks at all, looking at older power boats only... what do you see a majority of?? Bayliners. They are everywhere. One of the reasons that Bayliner has backed off making cruisers is they ended up being their own competition in todays market.

I have searched and searched over the past several years looking for the "dream" boat. When it comes to bang-for-buck$, I don't think any other brand comes close when you account for everything.

JMHO YMMV
Aquatic Muse
Mount Vernon, WA
MMSI: 367498870
'79 Bayliner Santiago w/ Mercruiser 470 power and drive

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 16 Oct 2013 22:23 #19

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 81
I had my last boat a 1993 Bayliner 2002 WA Trophy in 13 foot seas out of Seward Alaska. Fairly short duration swells. I took it nice and slow for the most part but I did launch it off a couple just for the giggles.

Would I do it again???? Hell yes. Would I do it with my 2000 2452 Ciera? No, but that is because the wife would slap me in the head for knocking all the stuff out of the cabinets. I do blast it through 3-4 foot swells in Prince William Sound.

My second Bayliner and will look for a larger one when I am ready to retire.
2000 Ciera Express 2452
5.0 Alpha 1 Gen II

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 18 Oct 2013 04:38 #20

My 1992 Maxum is going strong, I am the third owner and have had no issues with the construction done by Bayliner. Engines, steering, shifters, tabs, hatches etc were manufactured by others and have only required routine maintenance.

I have chartered 4087's and 4788 and have found them to be of reasonable quality with very well thought out layouts. For what they were designed for they seemed to be well built. I have been in decent sized seas with no worries.

Having said all of this when I was growing up in Alaska in the 70's and 80's Bayliners and Fiberforms were considered poorly made, with Tolly, GlasPly and Uniflite being considered the well built boats. We owned a GlasPly.

I would rather have a larger Bayliner than a shorter anything else. Bayliner builds good boats that are an excellent value. They are not designed for deep sea cruising, but most boats aren't.
1992 Maxum 2500 SCR, Mercruiser Carbureted 5.7 L, Alpha Gen II
Homeport: LaConner Dry Storage

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 18 Oct 2013 11:30 #21

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Please... no PM's! Jenery(at)aol.com
  • Thank you received: 186
Chad, in reality, and to some degree, Bayliner did earn this reputation from their entry level boats of that era.
But let's don't kid ourselves.... other makers were also cutting some construction corners on their entry level boats.

Also note that Bayliner had the market share on this entry level size boat, meaning that many more of these were manufactured by Bayliner than by the other makers.
So in terms of numbers, Bayliner ended up taking the rap.

On the topic, for the most part we can chalk this up to the "chopper gun" techniques that became the "norm" during this era.
There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the chopper gun technique, it was the follow-up that lacked proper attention.
No doubt workers A and B were given a time frame that just simply did not allow for enough follow-up attention.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta 290 DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Please send email (not PM) if you wish to contact me.
Last Edit: 18 Oct 2013 11:46 by 2850Bounty.

Bayliner...whats the real truth? 18 Oct 2013 23:29 #22

• SteveInCal
I've owned my Arriva 2050 for 20 years and it's still going strong (after a six-year break). The original trailer was a crappy tube trailer that got pretty rusty, but maybe the original owner decided against paying more for a better trailer.

Hey 2850, can you elaborate on the "chopper gun" technique? Is this the method they used to glass in the wood? Some of my wood is exposed in the engine compartment and the fiberglass coating is pretty thin, almost like paint. I've heard that other brands had better fiberglass coating on their wood. The Arriva is the only boat I've ever owned, so I don't have anything to compare it too. I'm sure my stringers aren't perfect, but the floor is solid;)

2850Bounty wrote:
On the topic, for the most part we can chalk this up to the "chopper gun" techniques that became the "norm" during this era.
There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the chopper gun technique, it was the follow-up that lacked proper attention.
No doubt workers A and B were given a time frame that just simply did not allow for enough follow-up attention.
Steve M.
Marin County, CA
1989 Arriva 2050 KE.
5.0, 230 HP Mercruiser, Alpha 1 drive.
  • Page:
Moderators: Alaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds