Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Pertronix electronic ignition kit

Pertronix electronic ignition kit 29 Jan 2017 00:04 #51

• lonfu
  • 87 Ciera Sunbridge 2150 owned since 1989
  • Thank you received: 3
Completed engine and ignition system.

new distributor and relocated engine plug.

New coil and gold ballast resistor by passing the resistor wire.

Turned out that my meter wasn't any good, so I got wrong measurements on my primary resistance. Coil was 1.5 ohms, resistor wire was 2.1 ohms, together they gave me a reading of 3.5 ohms. Way to high for the ESM unit. Took out the resistor wire and installed a 1.5 ohm resistor for a total of 2.8 ohms at the ESM plug. Yeah, I know, should have been 3 ohms but my new Amprobe meter is pretty precise. I tested each component separately but still got 2.8 ohms total at the plug. ?????? got me!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1987 Bayliner Ciera Sunbridge 2150.
May your portapot not tip over in 5 foot seas.......
Last Edit: by lonfu.

Pertronix electronic ignition kit 29 Jan 2017 00:05 #52

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 354

lonfu wrote: I quit eating meat and I lost 20 lbs. Started lifting weights nov 2013, have kept it light with short time between sets. Made a heck of a difference in how I feel. Walk or bike 1 to 3 miles per day too. I believe the meat and sugar deletions have kept me just out of range of the big DD. (diabetic devil) Blood pressure meds really beat me up for a while too, but the exercise has let me stop taking them, just got lucky!

It is called getting old: eat in moderation, take the needed drugs most of us need to take, sugar and starch is the big one, not meat in moderation.
Drinking alcohol is a big issue outside of moderation.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Pertronix electronic ignition kit 29 Jan 2017 00:17 #53

• lonfu
Booze has never been a problem, drugs of any kind really hit me hard. One beer or one asprin and I'm ready for a one hour nap!!! Never been a big sugarholic but I do love bacon (ahhhh, just the smell of it cooking) and a nice think smoked ham steak......... Whew making my mouth water just writing about it...... So, lost weight due to the meat, sure surprised me! Kept it off too.... The regular lifting seems make it easier for me to keep moving. Have many friends here local that can even walk a mile much less than 3 miles.

Pertronix electronic ignition kit 29 Jan 2017 01:11 #54

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 354

lonfu wrote: Booze has never been a problem, drugs of any kind really hit me hard. One beer or one asprin and I'm ready for a one hour nap!!! Never been a big sugarholic but I do love bacon (ahhhh, just the smell of it cooking) and a nice think smoked ham steak......... Whew making my mouth water just writing about it...... So, lost weight due to the meat, sure surprised me! Kept it off too.... The regular lifting seems make it easier for me to keep moving. Have many friends here local that can even walk a mile much less than 3 miles.

Keep up the good work, living longer is worth it!

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Pertronix electronic ignition kit 10 Feb 2017 04:52 #55

• lonfu
Ok, so here is the update. I called CDI, and the tech had me move the Ballast resistor to the ESAM positive circuit rather than the coil circuit. It runs 70% better. A whole lot smoother. ESAM works perfectly. Ballast resistor reduces the amps to the ESAM but not the coil so I get more spark pushed through the carbon fiber "plug wires". CDI wiring diagram shows the ballast resistor between the key switch and the coil, whoops :oops: won't work. The pertronix tech wanted me to put the resistor on the negative leg of the ESAM circuit. Won't do anything :oops: and prevents the ESAM from working correctly. Tach seems to be working perfectly with out any alterations specifically for the tach. I'm getting closer to a good running engine. Who knows, perhaps the Chief is right!!!! Easy big fella, jury is still out!!! I'm still not happy with the way it idles, so Pertronix tech had me run some voltage tests. They all look good to me, but perhaps he will see something I don't. Sure wish the boat had a OBD2 port, save me a bunch of time.

However, even after I pulled the exhaust elbows and cleaned them out I still have a port side hot one. Not burn hot, but very warm to the touch. I figure I must have a ex manifold internal leak of exhaust gas to the cooling jacket. Better to fix now than end up with water in a hot cylinder. On the truck and should be here Friday. A cinch to remove, much easier than a car, they used brass nuts and studs so the no broken studs for a now 30 year old boat!!

Chief Alan, started up on the statins again, body ache, joint ache, swollen hands. blood pressure dropped 15 points, lungs got tight and my right pagoda is aching again!!! Called the doc and she said to stop taking statin again. Apparently I was having a reaction to the statin drug, my 4th drug change. Sheesh....... Sure feel better now that it is wearing off..... Like coming out of a San Francisco bay fog bank.....

This wiring diagram is from my 87 OMC shop manual.

Pertronix electronic ignition kit 10 Mar 2017 02:20 #56

• lonfu
Headed out for a water test....... Day we headed down, it rained all day, we unloaded in the rain, engine ran rough and the stupid outdrive wouldn't stay in reverse....... Uh Oh..... Felt like the cable was out of adjustment, could really hear it banging. Put it in a slip and let it idle to see if the engine would smooth out. Darn if the temp gage wouldn't come up to a 100 degrees even. Stupid thermostat froze open and it was 40 degrees out with 60 degree water. Of course it was running rough....Duh.... certainly not the distributors fault, so with the ballast on the positive of the ESA unit and not the distributor, all seems to be working perfectly. But, I will need to do another water test to find out after I replace the thermostat. Poorly atomized fuel does tend to make an engine run rough..... Turns out the stupid mechanic tried to adjust the shift cable with a square and tape measure. Clearly didn't work, ordered cable tool kit for $30 on amazon, now need to order a new cable. (too short) :blush:

Pressure and vacuum tested the outdrive case, numbers all good! Swear I heard hissing from the prop when I first pressurized it...... tinnitus again????? Stupid deaf mechanic..... :oops: Perhaps I'll order a couple of seals and see if I can get frustrated pulling them out, with out removing the carrier bearing housing..... Are we having fun yet????

Pirates Cove on the Colorado river sold me a "Bucket of Blood"! Friend and I were to share it. Had all kinds of veggies stuck in it which I ate and he ate the strips of bacon that were on top. It was very spicy, lots of "tabasco", friend didn't like it..... sadly.... I did!!!! I remember the restaurant, I still have the bucket, but after that, hmmmm........ First day was raining, 2nd through 4th were bright, warm and sunny....... with no boat....... ARGGHHHH :angry:

Pertronix electronic ignition kit 17 Mar 2017 03:18 #57

• lonfu
The final product. Ballast resistor in the correct position. the moved main engine plug and new ignition distributor, wires, coil.

This message has an attachment image.

Pertronix electronic ignition kit 17 Mar 2017 05:28 #58

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147

boatworkfl wrote:

lonfu wrote: I quit eating meat and I lost 20 lbs. Started lifting weights nov 2013, have kept it light with short time between sets. Made a heck of a difference in how I feel. Walk or bike 1 to 3 miles per day too. I believe the meat and sugar deletions have kept me just out of range of the big DD. (diabetic devil) Blood pressure meds really beat me up for a while too, but the exercise has let me stop taking them, just got lucky!

It is called getting old: eat in moderation, take the needed drugs most of us need to take, sugar and starch is the big one, not meat in moderation.
Drinking alcohol is a big issue outside of moderation.

I go in tomorrow morning to get the computer running my heart (CRT-D) replaced, as the battery is all but dead. Prior to getting it, I could relate to both of you. I still take a beta-blocker, plus a number of others, but I'm back boating again, something I too thought I'd never do. I, however, am on a ketogenic lifestyle, so I eat meat, fat and greens, lots of each. Lost 40lbs in the first 2 months.

Good on ya, Chief and Ionfu.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin
Last Edit: by CptCrunchie.

Pertronix electronic ignition kit 17 Mar 2017 10:41 #59

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
Been reading this and most posts, in General and Tech. every single one.

Reply's are rare for me for now.

I like my meat and ain't giving it up.

Take my pills at night before bed, and yes a bunch of side effects, legs feel like lead, Statin drugs.

If alot of effort is planned for the next day the Doc said i can skip a day or 2 of Statin drugs, i find a world of difference when i skip them.

Cpt hope you make it out ok with the replacement.

Lonfu enjoy the moments, i find for me there is more time before then in front of my life, i'm gonna enjoy every minute of what i have left.

So for now i remain part of the " silent majority "

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Pertronix electronic ignition kit 18 Mar 2017 06:25 #60

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147

Chief Alen wrote: Cpt hope you make it out ok with the replacement.

It went awesome! Love the people at Virginia Mason in Seattle. This CRT-D is even better than the last, and I can feel it!

Thanks, Chief!

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin

Pertronix electronic ignition kit 27 Apr 2017 07:20 #61

• lonfu
Got the new thermostat in. old one was rusted open and not functioning at all. Still struggling with the out drive cable adjustment. Turns out that the adjustment procedure in my original shop manual is wrong. There was a factory recall of some type and the shift arm on the engine was changed to a "new" design, so the instructions are worthless. I finally found some corrected ones on the net but now it is allergy season for me and I'm house locked. So, apparently the trick is to set the out drive shift cable with the $30 tool, then install the out drive and adjust the remote control cable so it shifts completely into reverse. Manual says to adjust the outdrive shift cable, WRONG!!!! shessshh.... I'm still after it!! moving the ballast resistor to the positive ESM circuit was the right way to go!!!! I changed out the prop shaft seals, had to make a puller from an axle puller and some S hooks. Came right out. Install was easy, re-pressure test and perfect!!. Now for that remote control cable adjustment, grrr....

Pertronix electronic ignition kit 03 Jun 2017 11:11 #62

• lonfu
Ok, allergy season is over!!!! you have to do the final adjustment with the outdrive installed. I finally got back to it. Had everything covered to protect it from the dust. Installed the outdrive, used permatex copper gasket maker on the outdrive paper gasket and ujoint billows where it meets the outdrive. Billows casting marks make me suspect a leak there. Gasket is good, but surfaces are like me, old and leaky, so a little caulking and leak problem is solved. Install, let sit for 48 hours then retorq to specs plus 2 lbs. Used tool to adjust cable, then pulled shift cable off shift arm and removed carb cable. Spun the prop to hear a solid clunk into reverse!!!! Moved remote control to full reverse, I couldn't get the shift cable to fit on, that is why I was having shifting problems. So I had to loosen the remote shift cable (one on top) and move the shift arm to a position where the shift cable would slide on. Then tightened down the remote cable. Check both forward and reverse, works perfect. Instructions in the manual are incorrect and do not work. the trick to these outdrives is that you must adjust the remote cable if you change out the shift cable, just no way around it. Next...... water test!!!

Pertronix electronic ignition kit 06 Jul 2017 11:49 #63

• lonfu
Ok, did the water test, opened the engine compartment and water everywhere. what a mess. turns out the stupid mechanic failed to put in the 4 engine plugs. Engine warms up, idles perfectly, smooth, no lumpiness. Outdrive sounds like it kicks in very solid both in forward and reverse. now ready for a river run! Sadly the temps out are 120 degrees on the river. The Pertronix ignition kit seems to be functioning perfectly. Can't wait to get out on the water again. Jury is still out on the out drive adjustment. it has been a long road.

Pertronix electronic ignition kit 24 Jul 2017 15:31 #64

• lonfu
Ok, here it is!!! Ran WOT 4300 rpm 15x17 prop 38 mph. Idles perfectly!!!! Thermostat was bado.... Distributor is perfect, I'm really surprised at how much of a difference this distributor makes in running a 30 year old engine. Sadly, my carb has become gummed up again!!! for those of you who don't know it, National Carburetor has a lifetime warranty on their marine rebuilt carbs. So, mine is on it's way in to be serviced for the cost of shipping....

Good news, the new lower prop shaft seals have kept the water out of the outdrive. Bad news, the reverse was still cranky...

BUT!!!!

When I installed the new Pertronix distributor, I had to move the main engine plug out of the way so the distributor would clear the engine hatch. I re-used the original plug mount by reshaping the wire. I mounted the plug onto the engine hatch frame just a few inches above the engine but enough clearance for the distributor. The wire mount is very close to the remote shift cable, it makes the cable appear level because it is flexible. After a recent trip noticing that the reverse was still cranky about staying in and the remote shift being very stiff I revisited the adjustment. With the mount removed I noticed that the cable mount holds the cable higher than the shift arm where it attaches.

It was a OMC factory defect!!!! I had to lower the remote shift cable bracket 5/8" in order for the cable to get a complete action/throw!!!! I had to re-machine the aluminum cable holder. The FACTORY cable holder held the cable so high that each time I would shift it would pull the end of the cable down to follow the shift arm, thus shortening the throw. All I had to do is level the cable which extended the throw, now the outdrive shift cable goes all the way into reverse and forward positions. It no longer binds and shifts very easily!!!!

I suspect that the cable was mounted high to give clearance to the engine plug mounting bracket. Sadly I believe that this has been the cause of all the cable adjustment issues that I've been struggling with for the last 1.5 years.

If you look closely at this pix with the old wire bracket, then at the mounting plate, you can see how the shift cable is not parallel with the shift bracket, but point downward. The shift arm that it is attached to is in neutral. When shifted the downward angle is increased which shortens the stroke.

This message has an attachment image.

Pertronix electronic ignition kit 17 Oct 2017 19:38 #65

• SFCMcGan
  • Thank you received: 0
I have just installed the Pertronix 1563B and Flame Thrower 3.0ohm coil on my 1988 OMC Cobra 4.3l. Started right up idles lots better than before. I did the "Diode Fix".. pretty sure that its not working... not sure why. I'll revisit it today if the rain does not get to bad. Has anyone here used the "Diode Fix"? I could not find a thread that truly explained it.

1988 OMC Cobra 4.3l Wellcraft
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds